Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu overused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu overused?

I used to associate Wagyu steak with a Japanese delicacy that cost hundreds per pound, but I now see the term Waygu used everywhere, even on packaged supermarket beef of all kinds.

I recently did a taste test with American Wagyu sirloin steak from SRF and Costco prime. While the SRF was a bit more tender, it looked much like the Costco steaks. So is tbis term just overused or am I missing something?

Let’s just say that I’m highly skeptical of the "wagyu brisket" my butcher always has on sale for $7.99/lb…

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe from a downer wagyu cow, or canner grade wagyu.

It's not a regulated term. It's like Angus. You can call almost anything "Angus" and that's why the "Certified Angus Beef" brand came about - people were buying "Angus" and getting very average meat.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. CAB has to meet certain criteria to carry that label. Lots of people were calling mediocre stuff "Angus" which hurt the brand, hence CAB.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's my understanding that all CAB beef is choice grade or higher.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy CAB spans high choice and prime according to them. But that's because, while it's not an official government term, it is protected. They outline it here, https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/faq.php under the Product Quality heading about 2/3 down.

In our part of the world wagyu usually refers to angus beef cattle that are bread via AI to wagyu bulls. What you get from that cross is normally good beef, with a high fat content, but not always great beef. The term certified Angus is supposed to mean the animal was 60% black. Holstein dairy cattle can easily be 60% black. In the end it means very good choice graded beef. Years ago the FFA (Future Farmers of America) offered classes in meat judging. That knowledge has served me well all my life. I can normally pick something I know will be good. Some of the wagyu I’ve seen has too much fat for my taste. Most of what I buy is Certified Angus Beef because it looks just fine and cooks up very well. It’s unusual that the breed that produces the most prime beef is the Red Angus and is not black at all.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Think about it, who the heck is looking down a chute and counting percentage points? I work with people who worked in beef plants.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard I completely agree.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Also some pretty darn good meat comes from milk cows!!! Look at what they eat vs other feed lot cattle. The down side is you get a lower percentage of meat per animal.

It is getting a little out of hand, I think. As Rick said it is not a regulated term in the United States. I think it originally meant something, but now is hovering around being synonomous with "Prime+" or something.

I'm sure we're not too far off from it just meaning the animal from which the meat came went "moo" at one point.

Comment

I agree wagyu is a nebulous term and you need to some work to figure out what you are buying.

I do like Meat N’ Bone’s approach of separating beef by BMS grade as that would seem to provide an additional data point for comparison.

Access premium beef previously available only to chefs from high end purveyors. Including the finest Wagyu beef cuts. Shipping all across the USA & Canada.

Comment

We got lawsuits concerning,
        1. Italian pasta not made in Italy,
        2. Texas Pete hot sauce not made in Texas,
        3. Supposed whiskey being sold illegally in some convenient stores that is really just malt liquor (therefore legal),
        4. Instructions on macorini that create the illusion that the OVERALL time to create the meal is misleading and that the time provided is only the actual cook time.

Perhaps someone can prove a cow never met Wagyu spermatazoa, or white Charolais are spray painted in order to get better "Certified Angus Beef."

Comment

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          We raised Angus-cross, usually with either Hereford or Charolais, occasionally Simmental.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Dan Deter yeah that reminds me, Black Limousin, Black Simmental, how much of that goes certified for the A-Team?

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard, probably a lot. CAB wasn't a thing when we were still raising and feeding out, or we would have gotten that certification. We just had to show a certain percent of Angus in the background, which we were always well over.

For me the biggest ripoff is Wagyu ground beef.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          No kidding, throw some ostrich in, weasel, etc...

It's like anything that gains popularity. It quickly gets over used and abused. As a consumer society it's rinse and repeat. I personally don't notice much difference between Costco prime and SRF beef. I prefer Costco prime. The one and only time I got a full rib roast from SRF there was a lot more of a thick vein of fat separating the eye and cap. So even when SRF has sales on their rib roast that equals the Costco cost, you end up paying more in the end because of all the extra fat. Not marbling, but the large inedible chunks.

Comment

I haven't bought any of it yet, agreed, confusing and you don't really know. Same with organic, different countries have different definitions of organic.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            But at least in Portland, you can get a dossier on you chicken.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            But organic, in the US at least, IS a regulated term. "Natural" is not which is why we're seeing more and more meat termed "natural pork" etc.

Have you tried the Hot Dogs?

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/amer...-hot-dogs.html

I have not.

Parenthetically, they sat "These are packed with the casing intact." However, they sure look like skinless wieners.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I have. I didn’t care for them, as in you can get better hot dogs from your butcher.

• BBQPhil
            BBQPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            I have. Nothing special. I prefer Vienna's Chicago all beef.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried them and honestly was not a fan.

Wagyu is the new American Kobe. Sold by the unscrupulous to the uninformed and unregulated by those in the position to do so.

Comment

I’ve been buying a lot of this stuff over the last 10 years.

All the Wagyu at my butcher is American/Wagyu cross. True Wagyu doesn’t show up much around here. When I was working, I’d get it if it was on sale, and if the steaks looked good; now that I’m retired, and with the prices of everything completely out of whack, I do watch my budget.

I think we all know to ignore the labels and look at the beef. I’ve seen “Wagyu” that didn’t look as good as prime; I’ve seen prime that looked as good as “Wagyu”. I’ve seen choice that looked better than prime, and prime that didn’t look as good as choice.

I think that a nicely marbled steak will usually taste good regardless of the label. A good American/Wagyu cross steak is, IMO, the best of both worlds: it will have the richness (but not the butteriness) of the Wagyu, and the mineral iron-y taste of a great midwestern steak. But yeah, you usually gotta freight the cost. Better for the budget is looking for those choice Angus steaks that can pass for prime. I’d rather eat good steaks less often than crappy steaks all the time. A crappy steak is a waste of money no matter how cheap it was.

Wagyu ground beef? I don’t get it, either. Yeah, they’re good burgers, but lots of other burgers are good burgers, too. If you’re making steak burgers, you’re better off getting a nice chuck/short rib or chuck/brisket blend for half the price. Or even straight chuck. If you’re making smashburgers, it’s a waste!

That’s the Mosca take on it.

Comment

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              "I’d rather eat good steaks less often than crappy steaks all the time. A crappy steak is a waste of money no matter how cheap it was."

Perhaps the truest statement I've read in weeks.

• Fellers Ranch
              Fellers Ranch commented
              Editing a comment
              Wagyu burgers are excellent, but they need to be prepared correctly.

Using an open grate grill for Wagyu burgers is a No-No. Use a flat surface, like a blackstone or griddle. You do not want to lose the juice.

We like making smash burgers, 1/4# or less, on a very hot surface -- 500+ or more. 2 - 3 minutes on a side, and then flipped once to other side for 2 or 3 minutes.

I wish I would have joined this conversation earlier . . .

The best thing you can do in buying Wagyu is knowing where it came from, how it was graded, and who did the grading.

Anyone selling you Wagyu should be able to tell you what its BMS score is. If they can not, it should put up a red flag.

If the person gives you a score of BMS 6 or above, that means it is above US Prime, and you are getting a high quality Wagyu product. (BMS scores go from 3 - 12.)

After you get a BMS score, ask how the person knows that and who graded the product. If they can't tell you, ask them if anyone there can tell you.

The term "American Wagyu" is used in different ways. In the beef industry, many people associate that term to mean a calf that is 50% Wagyu and 50% more "traditional" beef breed, or even a dairy breed. With 50/50 Wagyu genetics, it can be hit or miss as to whether the BMS score will attain BMS 6 or above.

The higher the % Wagyu, the more likely you will get a higher BMS score . . . but that is not the only factor.

The age at which the calf is butchered and how it is raised and fed also play huge roles in the quality of the Wagyu product.

Even a 100% (Full-blood) Wagyu butchered at 18 months of age is very unlikely to grade a BMS 6 or above. The marbling comes from slow growth and age, as well as genetics. Any Wagyu producer that is striving for BMS 6+ should be allowing the calf to reach 28 months of age.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! I know I see the 'wagyu' term thrown around here ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE. If someone has some German blood back 3 or 4 generations, it doesn't mean they know all about making schnitzel! Same here... watered down stock, fed and raised the same as any other regular stock - or even WORSE, thinking the 'wagyu genes' are going to overcome poor practices. Totally, totally overused, and overpriced!

Originally posted by Fellers Ranch View Post
            I wish I would have joined this conversation earlier . . .

The best thing you can do in buying Wagyu is knowing where it came from, how it was graded, and who did the grading.

Anyone selling you Wagyu should be able to tell you what its BMS score is. If they can not, it should put up a red flag.

If the person gives you a score of BMS 6 or above, that means it is above US Prime, and you are getting a high quality Wagyu product. (BMS scores go from 3 - 12.)

After you get a BMS score, ask how the person knows that and who graded the product. If they can't tell you, ask them if anyone there can tell you.

The term "American Wagyu" is used in different ways. In the beef industry, many people associate that term to mean a calf that is 50% Wagyu and 50% more "traditional" beef breed, or even a dairy breed. With 50/50 Wagyu genetics, it can be hit or miss as to whether the BMS score will attain BMS 6 or above.

The higher the % Wagyu, the more likely you will get a higher BMS score . . . but that is not the only factor.

The age at which the calf is butchered and how it is raised and fed also play huge roles in the quality of the Wagyu product.

Even a 100% (Full-blood) Wagyu butchered at 18 months of age is very unlikely to grade a BMS 6 or above. The marbling comes from slow growth and age, as well as genetics. Any Wagyu producer that is striving for BMS 6+ should be allowing the calf to reach 28 months of age.
            Very interesting. The scoring makes a ton of sense. Just like people, every animal is built a little different, regardless of genetics. Additionally, I had no idea that the quality comes from slow growth and the age of the animal. Thanks for the info. I like hearing this from someone that is the industry and knows what they are talking about. Boots on the ground are far better than a skimmed article.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here