Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And we have some progress!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it isn't much.. I was hoping for walls today but I the lumber was delivered so hopefully walls tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_095647.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	744574Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_101850.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	744575

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, walls happen fast!!! I've built scores upon scores of thousands of em, literally all over this Earth.

What are you making your walls of once the studs are up. You will have to be washing the slaughter area down with cleaning fluids. Having butchered animals for 8 years it is amazing where the blood can end up. For the walls use concrete board and then smooth it over with smooth cement at least 1/2 thick so it will not crack. Accidents do happen. That way you can also scrub the walls down.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats FRP=FIbre Reinforced Plastic...
      Quite often used in Commercial Food Processin Plants, an even Biological, or Pharmaceutical Clean Rooms, where I work, because of its various qualities, especially that of bein able to withstand repetitive cleanin/sanitizin, with whatever harsh chemicals that th environment it's installed in, an substances it's exposed to dictate/mandate.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 23, 2019, 03:26 PM.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones. I believe that may be the fancy name for what I call dairyboard.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones. Yup looked it up I am using frp ..it is referred to as dairy board up here because all the milkhouses where the milk bulk tanks at the dairy farms wall were lined with the stuff.. never knew what it was actually called..huh??

Congrats on following your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
      What are you making your walls of once the studs are up. You will have to be washing the slaughter area down with cleaning fluids. Having butchered animals for 8 years it is amazing where the blood can end up. For the walls use concrete board and then smooth it over with smooth cement at least 1/2 thick so it will not crack. Accidents do happen. That way you can also scrub the walls down.
      This is a fascinating topic, Backroadmeats . Thanks for continuing to post the photos.

Given mountainsmoker 's comments, it will be interesting to see how the construction is adapted to perfectly suit a butchery operation.

Thanks for bringing us all along as you build your dream business.

Kathryn

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        This has been one heck of a project.. I have had a conditional use permit to have a meat locker for over three years. Had to have the sewer drawn three times to satisfy county.. the the department of health screwed around I was singled out by the department of ag to apply for a grant only to be turned down.. this singled out to apply for another one which I at least got. Man this has tested my very limited patience.. but we are getting close..

And the walls are going up!!! Finally!! Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190920_101152.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	745582

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hip-Hip-Hooray. Love watching your progress. Can't wait for first cuts.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy Cow, whaddya at, 16' on those walls???

That's a 12' ladder...

Lookin good, this is a much more excitin part of th build, fer a Customer, than jus th slab, in my considered experience...Wall Day is a huge phreakin Milestone!!!!

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones yup 16 ft siedwalls in the back..holsteins are really tall hanging by their back legs. If ya know what I mean

Good luck!!!! Post pic's along the construction.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_122457.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	745639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_122455.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	745640

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice. I can only imagine your sense of achievement and excitement as things progress.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, I see; it steps down on this end...still tall, which is good!!!

This as far as they got today.. Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190920_161101.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	745753Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_134659_1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	745754

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Your lucky it is not in Argentina. The workers would be burnng your wood cooking up some chorizos on a make shift parrilla and no work getting done as usual....

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang. Those guys are ripping. 👍👍
          Ahumadora hahahahaha

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol Ahumadora!
          Ain't hankerin fer me no Pine, or Douglas Fir smoked chorizo, today, or any other lol!

Oh my...Very cool... My wife and I used to own a country house in NW Illinois....We bought most of our meat from a similar type small plant...We loved it...sometimes we'll make the 2 hour 10 minute drive to visit friends and of course pick up some freshly butchered meat.

Comment

Any faint hope I had of catching up to your sausage-making game is gone bye-bye with an operation like this! Congrats and keep us posted.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            If ya want to make sausage deer season starts the first weekend in November.. come on up you can make all the sausage you want.. bring warm clothes though..it might be a touch colder than you are used too.

Thanks for sharing Backroadmeats Please keep us posted on the progress.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I will.. framers will be back Monday to set the trusses and sheet the roof and walls.. Tuesday the tin goes on.. problem is we have had six inches of rain the last week and a half.. I may have to pull/ push the forklift around to get the trusses set!! Could get interesting 😁😁

The framers are back and hard at it today.. setting roof trusses after lunch. Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190923_102335.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	746924Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_120439.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	746925

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            holehogg. There is 5 guys.. they figure they will be done tomorrow.. so three days from start to finish. They will put the doors and windows in and tin it tomorrow.. this isn't their first rodeo.

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Awsome work ethics

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Aw man - ya shoulda used pink butcher paper...

It always amazes me how fast a good crew can move...

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazing isn't it!?

They are moving fast Backroadmeats I guess they need to as winter is just around the corner for you.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker I am not as concerned about winter but missing deer hunting season would be hit to getting this thing up and running

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be bad for you, bummer.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I should make it..I hope😄😄

Well being stuck in the mud for a couple hours set them back a little bit but here is what they got done today. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_160005.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	747070Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190923_175003.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	747071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_175010.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	747072

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            I can sense the excitement in the air.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool Beans, Amigo!
            Trusses sure make life easier, an framin faster; it'd been nice if I'd encountered em, many years earlier in my life...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here