Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN Butchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MN Butchers

Seems like there are a few fellow MN members on here, but no activity for Butchers & Meat Suppliers since early 2016. Rather than a specific butcher store I'm creating this topic in hopes of getting a discussion going on where people like to shop. Could be anything from a farm to your local butcher store.

Nelson's

6318 Minnetonka Blvd, St Louis Park, MN 55416

For Pork Shoulders I like to go to Nelson's. It's really close to where I live and their pork shoulders have been consistent time after time. It's around $35 for a 8 to 9 pound pork shoulder. I tried a brisket from them before, but was disappointed.

Clancey's Meats & Fish

4307 S Upton Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55410

I love this place for their sandwiches. They also have great beef short ribs and tend to get some of the higher end cuts of meats if you are looking for premium quality. Even though Widmer's is my favorite for beef ribs, I end up at Clancey's more often due to the ease of ordering and consistency of having them available when I need them. Lovely neighborhood butcher shop and very friendly.

Widmer's Super Market

1936 Saint Clair Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105

The best beef ribs I ever made came from here. Unfortunately the next week I came back for more I was told that they are a special order item only. Talk to Sean, the meat manager on the phone before making a visit for beef ribs. Overall Widmer's is my favorite butcher for ribs and brisket. Competitive prices and while some of the butchers aren't the most friendly (Sean is a really nice guy) their quality is what gets me to go back.

Angus Meat Market
    All Prices are subject to change at any time. This site may not reflect current pricing and is not to be held as such.

2700 Maplewood Dr, St Paul, MN 55109

They deliver and have great prices on Smithfield and PrairieFresh. If I'm looking to try out some new ideas for BBQ this is where I'll go since it's very cost friendly.

Grundhofer's Old Fashion Meats

15449 Forest Blvd. N Hugo, MN 55038

The place to go for brats. Over 100 plus flavors to choose from. Everything from blueberry to gummy bear to the classics.

Places I want to try next

Hackenmueller Meats as the name comes up often when I search for best butchers in Twin Cities
    Lowry Hill Meats for some Berkshire as well as trying out their whole hog breakdown class
    Hagberg Country Market seems like a number of you approve from the thread

Tagging fellow MN members: stevenv55125, Spinaker Moscuba, jmeier64, Grinsfelder, AllenW Skip, Papa Bob, Ravingdave
    Last edited by SteinerBBQ; July 22, 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting! Tons of great info!
      I have been to Lowry Hill Meats a few times. Cool shop, trendy and expensive. But they do have quality meats. I think, last time, i paid $56 for three beef ribs. However, they also said they can cut me anything I want. It's in Minneapolis, I don't make it into the city much.
      Hackenmuller's is an awesome spot. It is in Robbinsdale, about 20 mins north of me, so I make it up there every once is a while. Great spot for sausage.
      I also love to hit up Mackenthun's out in Saint Bonifacius. That place is something special. Small town shop with great people, good prices and high quality meats. They make an amazing ham and bacon.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker. I've added Mackenthun's to my list. What part of the TC do you live in? I'm going to guess somewhere near Wayzata/Minnetonka/EP judging from previous posts. I'm in St. Louis Park.

Here a few shots of the beef ribs from Widmer's. I'm excited to try beef ribs in the KBQ. Those were done on my Weber with the Smokenator.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160530_064451.jpg Views:	1 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	350982

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160530_064509.jpg Views:	1 Size:	201.4 KB ID:	350983

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160530_170738.jpg Views:	1 Size:	484.0 KB ID:	350984

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160530_172500.jpg Views:	1 Size:	253.5 KB ID:	350985

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am orginally from EP. Now I live in Minnetonka. Just south of the lake. I heard SLP just got a new BBQ spot.

I usually buy all my BBQ meat from Everetts on 38th st and Cedar in Mpls.
        The local Oxendales on 34 ave and 51st has good things like hamburger and steaks though.

Comment

I'm in St. Cloud and seems like we don't have a lot to chose from here. Von Hanson's usually has whatever I may be looking for although not inexpensive. Manaeus (sp) in Sauk Rapids used to be pretty good but haven't been there for a while. Anybody know of a good butcher in the St. Cloud area?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a friend from The Cloud and he just told me to tell you that St. Joseph Meat Market is a good spot. He says they have great jerky too. I might be a 10 miles drive from the Cloud

Well, as a lifelong Minnesotan I feel I must add to this post even if I am located 125 miles south from Mpls/St Paul in a very rural area. Here in Blue Earth we have the BE Locker that does custom butchering and makes very good sausage and dried beef, etc. They also have the best hamburger around. We also have a very good grocery store in town, Jubas Super Value, that stocks brisket, tri tip, pork shoulders, etc. In the MN Lake/Easton area The Country Butcher Shop does custom butchering and make excellent Windsor Chops. Nick's in Hayward MN has a fresh meat counter with great bacon, cottage bacon, etc. In Nicollet MN, Schmidt's would be a great Sat AM destination for any of you in the Metro area--just go there--and take along a cooler--you won't be sorry. Just north of Nicollet the Compart Family has very good high end Duroc pork that you can buy direct from them if you call ahead-Google them. Kasson MN has Erdman's County Market specializing in sausage and fresh meats. I should also mention Omega 3 pork is showing up in our Super Value store now. Read about them at http://o3familyfarms.com/. It's a new niche in the pork industry and some is raised in our area. There are several more Meat Lockers scattered across rural MN that I have not personally visited. In your travels just watch for signs. Usually each one has a few things they specialize in. I have a cooler in both vehicles. A person never knows when you might NEED one.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I will have to check out Schmidt's in Nicollet on my way back up north sometime. Hahahaha, coolers all around man. I do the same thing. Tons of great info here Skip, thanks!

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker go to Schmidt's for sure. My dad grew up right down the road from there.. his brother moved to California and we used to send him the German and garlic summer sausage by the cooler.. I just had some today at my dad's.. grab a six pack of the buddy's orange and grape soda too...

Hackenmueller's is well known, but they don't impress me.

I shop at Brother's a lot. I really like their selection and service, prices are ok.

Although they don't have a full selection, I love Kramarczuk's, they have so many varieties of sausage.

I've gotten good reviews from friends for McDonald's Meats in Clearwater.
          Last edited by JCGrill; September 26, 2017, 08:15 PM. Reason: Los links!

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            JCGrill, Backroadmeats, I was just curious. I may just order some to see what it is like.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers the swedish potatoes sausage I make is 1/3 pork 1/3 beef 1/3 potatoes and 3 lbs onions with some spices all ground and stuffed in a casing. Really good for breakfast. Or supper with mashed taters and gravy.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Backroadmeats, when are you going to start shipping????

I also buy a fair amount of meat at Farmers Markets. Tollefsons Pork is pretty darn good.
          Last edited by JCGrill; September 26, 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I also like to buy meat from Fischer Farms down in Waseca. Our cafe in our office building feature there products and breakfast and lunch. They come to our office once a month to sell meats as well. I love their Maple Coil sausage and the Raspberry Chipotle Bacon is out of this world good. They also sell some killer, thick-cut pork chops.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I packed it with ice packs and some packing paper so it should be good to go. You won't be disappointed. Craigar

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry Spinaker I neglected to post a follow up...Thank you!!! That bacon was fantastic!!! Now you need to figure out that air freshener idea.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries man! I am glad you enjoyed it. Imagine that air freshener in your car in August............. Craigar

I'll have to try St. Joseph meat as St. Joe is not that far from me. I also have heard good things about McDonald's meat. Father in law takes the ducks that he shoots to them and they make duck sticks for him. Mix with some pork and smoke-excellent with an adult beverage. Lot of folks recommend Grand Champion meats in Foley. They make a bunch of different brat and bacon flavors. Had some of their brats before. Very good.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Thielen meats in pierz is really good to. I never drive past without stopping in

I know I’m a little late at adding to this post, but thought I’d chime in as well. I also am a big fan of Clancey’s, especially for their apple mustard brined pork chops (pictured here also w their beef). A little pricey, but quite delicious!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SipIt; July 3, 2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Jerry’s Foods in Edina also has the best selection of USDA prime beef that I’ve been able to find in the cities.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Very good selection of Prime Beef plate ribs as well.

Gosh I love meat; looking at it, cutting it, thinking about it, cooking it, smoking it, braising it, handling it, making it go in my belly; why if it were a woman I'd marry it.....

....now back to your regularly scheduled programming....carry on

Comment

Schmidt's meat market in Nicollet Mn is a place worth checking. Near my home town of New Ulm in southern Mn. in between Mankato and New Ulm. Lots of German sausages and some good people there know how to use a butcher knife for your regular cuts of meat. The place is kind of a meccas for me when I go back home about once a year or so.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where you at FS?!?!?!?!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here