Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to but good meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to but good meat

Hello all,
    I am from Franklin MA and am looking for a place to buy good meat for BBQ. I have been to 3 Costco's in this state and none sell whole packer, only flats. I have also tried BJ's, no luck. I recently tried online and that worked pretty well but would love to find a local source if possible.

I'm not very enlightened about your state so this is just a stab in the dark. Here in Idaho I have a found a few local butcher shops that cater to the local farmers. All of their meat is grass raised and finished or grass raised and grain finished. No chemicals period. You can buy a steak or a whole cow or pig if you desire. They have full packers in their meat coolers for walk in customers. The majority of their business is catering to those wanting to buy either a 1/4, 1/2 or whole animal. Roughly $3.50 lb. cut and wrapped. It may be worth a try to see if you have anything similar in your area. One way to find out is stop by and ask one of the local farmers who raises beef and ask where they have their animals processed. Go luck.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Advice, Thank you.

Try www.localharvest.org or Craigslist, many local producers advertise there.

Comment

That is a super cool site thank you

Comment

Try Alpine Butcher in Lowell,right off of #495
        A true butcher shop.
        2 brothers run the place,4 th generation
        I order online as I am down on the south shore.
        you can go on their website and send them an email in regards to what you are looking for
        outstanding quality and service

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Great advice, thank you.

If I could offer a word of advice from a long time pro: It's the cook, not the ingredients. Superlative ingredients are just easier to cook, in most situations, not really better. There are exceptions, of course, but overall this is true. I just use what I have and adjust technique to suit the cook. Serve the food, and resist the urge to blame the food for your technique. Sorry, that's just the way it is. When your technique is sufficient, you can make a silk purse from a sows ear, so to speak.

Want a real challenge? Try a chicken with only salt and pepper for seasoning. Sounds simple, but your technique must be on point to get good results. Want sweetness without sugar? Lower the cook temp and cook longer, which accentuates sugar concentration(among other things)You see?

Less is more, and the more you learn, the less you need..

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Strat50. I agree, your advice is dead on. However it is not a matter of buying top end waygu whole packer, vs select. I cant find anyone who will sell me a whole packer, period, regardless of quality, Local grocery wont sell them, Bj's doesn't carry them, Costco doesn't carry them...you get the idea. Just looking for a place in my area that caters, even a bit, to the BBQ crowd.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          This a frequent occurrence here too. Sometimes I can find what I want, sometimes not. Local butchers, while more expensive, are where I get my good stuff. I can call ahead, with suitable notice, and get exactly what I need.Expect a bit of sticker shock. Most food wholesale outfits will sell you stuff if you go to the "will call" area. Even if you are not a business.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here