Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a Bit Carried Away....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Bit Carried Away....

Went to a grocery store today. As you'll see it is Market Basket. A family owned business. There are 79 stores in MASS, N.H. and ME. I used to live 15 minutes away. Now it's a 40 minute trek to the nearest store in Athol MA, but worth the trip.They actually carry Prime Beef but mainly Choice is stocked. And their fishmonger is top notch. So spent a bit of time in the butcher section. Here's part of what was purchased. Yea, there was more but mainly stuff my wife picked.

I dropped this in General Discussion as I did not see a channel specific to what did you overspend on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BzHKVkhKpRqgXr78xK0vq1_wIEjXv0hJajAcILlx0Z6mPbk-cUP6KcoNfyLGFs3gm5mBLqTEAkEnxCRE-3rB_r_i6WsVVBAdZCCFRPt59WmEmw7xQv4_gslr-zPvl8S6nmnNdADH-OKF-t9jvaWTIm1-io4T2nzmEETW_2r0ZVGP3ZrrJOwHtpedk-CewT5CUNlea7pi3x-tn66ds22mrAlHrbK0iJGMsEDjRYrb88JUr06iVIV6iUbMif4pgz7
Views:	348
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	580387Click image for larger version

Name:	pmHBnc3R68cWEHK7bqqegIiOrsAqFBhF2fa_BmW-yXcK9JZldd0i_VFbHAuC3JIHg8B91dL_29NcqRspH9kyKFActDLVUgTAdHQwafzdFMFklqeS-0Jh-0JGv7RycWZ5XNm7ZiqtI_CgKwR5SrEOO7rO2XAIXZdeVoA2dPLMZlLZUO7HJ1XacRkPLE4Ycwc7s5bGfFwPYnBKSbHgngBr3eAEzKetuIzQVJHP6zY9qxzSdz64A440667WxS-1ssb
Views:	341
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	580388Click image for larger version

Name:	F1Jog-UYSKgmWubu17OJEBG_ruN9-msfA5ZuMDNP_c66hR0E8nqYBFQc4FPSQ3rTF9eMXpuEgR-8E-TBzNMdcKmS7Cze06S_js9xw7ZkTjdGjOFDdJaH-p8gB0fUSlj4s3y5nrY09-iTrBgW8eYAsIaol86SdHmoAlvlkpzpnYH1GSDmrmDc_8j4GDL87RN09-2zvF64ycyZYjp1fzrZtXEY9bc06PRWiTuAv_Ac6O5ghRrm15DmAlUSB2cBR84
Views:	344
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	580389Click image for larger version

Name:	UZEsOhSr-TFIdSKDbIgX3QL10QLfOsKYPG9VB7DuVsXNWACHE0xj_k4U4Rwo6oXP-bjxSSSMa5yUahklWBHwAIkafK3qEJkoJmqcUaIRdvdf3UrPxLp-7gpzWbXtD_VQm5ziMz7A1S_dNPbjMxlpTdBWX0_ynGIF0dBmJyxCVpifG94yJIMmmBYjgmUXvVwzKQoE7BCyp2QzgXEQuj50VH7ASud5wY_rOYps2kXba8Q04IS9TYWkQvU5QuWY9IJ
Views:	343
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	580390
    Attached Files

Market Basket was a well-run set of stores when we lived there. Been about 4 years now.

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      When we lived in Upton, used to go to the Bellingham location. This our first trip since we moved (3 plus years). I don't know what I was thinking.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      You were thinking I'll take one of them, and one of them, and that looks good, and oh yeah... I been there. The wife won't let me out by myself anymore...

Moved to Member Reviews > Butchers & Meat Suppliers > Massachusetts, since it's sort of a review of the place.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I figured there was proper place, I couldn't find it.

I've done that! Especially when I see a really nicely marbled rib roast, or prime briskets. Right now I'm trying to empty the freezer because we have a new one ordered, so no new purchases for another week or two.

Comment

That’ll get you through the weekend.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I was gonna say what’s on the menu for tomorrow. 🤔

Where's the broccoli???

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        The cows ate it...

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        not on my list...

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Broccoli isn't food, it's what food eats.

I know what you’re going through. I took a trip to restaurant depot recently. And well. Click image for larger version

Name:	71014984-D3A5-4267-A7EC-2B58DCB66A10.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	580500

Comment

Great, but what about tomorrow??

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s exactly what I was wondering. 😳

I love meat-a-palooza day!

Comment

Happy cooking!

Comment

Your Athol will be quite busy after eating all that.
            Last edited by Catmandu; October 18, 2018, 11:35 AM. Reason: Sorry if this attempt at humor is offensive to anyone. I'd delete it if I could.

Comment

Bump

Well went to Market Basket again, It's been awhile Covid and such. Not as crazy as last time. Brisket and short ribs which I did a blended grind 70/30 for burgers. Tri-Tip nice 3#. In the case all they had was tri-tip steak. Butcher cut it for me. Sirloin steak tips and 2 strip steaks. All choice and all but the brisket was labeled C.A.B.

Edit update; my wife's went to local farmers market in town this morning. Local farm, actually half mile from house is there. Do business with them for meat and veggies. He had a steer harvested this week at the chop house. He's terminology not mine. She got another tri-tip and flank steak. Both 20 oz. Nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210722_135439.jpg Views:	28 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1065821
              Last edited by RichieB; July 25, 2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I've wondered about Market Baskets. We have them here and they say they are a local chain but the ones here in SE Texas and SW La. use the same logo/font as the labels in your pictures. I've seen vintage photos from California that look the same as our local ones. Are they a nationwide family owned business? Franchise? One of the ones here is called Bruce's Market Basket. From what I've heard, several local grocers, including Bruce, got together and formed the Market Basket chain here back in the late 50s or 60s. One prominent member was Howard Hatfield who at one time had the largest privately owned grocery store in the nation. He even covered his entire parking lot (the parking lot is still there with the cover but the store burned down 10-12 years ago after being abandoned for years).

The ones here do not have a fresh seafood counter (and we are near the Gulf??) and their "good" meat is select, albeit Angus. I've tried the pretty display steaks a few times and they were good but on the tough side.

Comment

• RichieB
                  RichieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  58limited, this chain is a family owned going back a 100 plus years. Looking at their web site they say 85 stores (when I 1st posted in 18' it was 79). All in New England. I don't see the connection to what you referenced based on their web site. But I've been wrong one other time.

The first official Market Basket website! Discover what "More For Your Dollar" really means.

Nothing wrong with a freezer (or two) full of meat. Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here