Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpine Butcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, they now ship and appear to do so intelligently. Not sure about shipping pricing though--worth a call to find out. Their meat prices look reasonable to me, especially for prime.

Comment

Prices look great. Prime whole packer brisket for $62 + tax. They are a tad smaller at average of 9 lbs but the picture looks like it is fully trimmed. I checked a few things into my cart and shipping was $25 ups ground 1-3 days which isnt the cheapest ive ever seen but it isnt too bad either.

Dammit, i do not need more places to spend money online!

Comment

• panteracfh3
        panteracfh3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure how it works with delivery if you can request a larger size but I’ve called them with a few days notice and asked for a 12 pound brisket (post trimming) and was no problem at all

Ok I went there today, about an hour drive for me. Let's start with the bad:
      They have about 10 people working there but one of the owners is the only one who knows how to cut meat and the only one who knows how to take a party deli order. I wanted a prime chuckie and a prime tri tip. They had no chucks in the case so I had to wait on the owner. He was with an older couple ordering 20 sandwiches. The couple was very interested in the type of bread and the condiments and cheese on each and every sandwich. The owner was great with them and very understanding, I was not in a hurry so it was not a big deal but it did take forever. They ended up not having a prime chuck so I took a choice and they had no tri tip at all. So not great from that standpoint.

The good:
      The owner did ask the couple to wait and ran back and cut me a chuck. He then yelled up to the cash register and told him to give me 15% off my order due to the wait. Class move. I bought some prime steak tips that looked good and my wife likes chicken breast so I got her cilantro lime marinated breast.
      I spoke to them for a while and the good news is they can get whatever you want. Plate ribs, prime brisket, whole hogs and even Berkshire stuff with enough notice. They also have an awesome deli and they make their own roast beef and pastrami. Also they sell frozen game meat, elk, venison and bison

All in all I loved the place. I now have a local butcher where I can get whatever I need and I am happy to support local business. I will post pics of the cooks and the meat, but I was happy with how it looked.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Here is the cook on the steak tips.....Chuck roast done later today.

Here we go again. Show us what you're cooking! III (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/108549-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-iii) was starting to act a little quirky so we're starting the next round with SUWYC! IV. Past Show Us What You're Cooking Threads: SUWYC I (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for

• panteracfh3
        panteracfh3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you liked. It’s definitely a small, family run operation but the beef is quality. As you point out, they can get you whatever you need with a little lead time.

Glad they gave you the discount. They’ve done that with me as well. One of the perks of being a family business

I work nearby and go there for lunch often. Would rather support them than the cafeteria in my building. They also have an iPhone app to order stuff too

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t mention it above but I got a roast beef sandwich and it was outstanding. They make their own ciabatta bread every morning .

Will have to get up there thank you for the review pjlstrat

I usually get my Tri Tip from Porter Road but it looks like they raised the price from $21 to $31 per piece.

Comment

I wanted to give this thread a bump to share a cool story.

I ordered and picked up a brisket at Alpine last week to cook for my labor day cookout. It got to temperature in the time I anticipated but I noticed that the fat hadn't really rendered that much. I thought this was odd but whatever. After cutting it and eating, it was definitely tougher than the briskets I'd bought there in the past. Still good but not that usual tender meat I'm accustomed to.

Today I went in there at lunch to pick up a sandwich I ordered online and talked to the owner about it. I told him all that had happened and he apologized greatly. He then told me to wait at the counter for a second. He walked over to the cash register, went in it, and gave me my money back. I told him I wasn't looking for a refund. I just wanted to let him know in case he changed suppliers or whatever. He said it was the same supplier but sounds like I just got a tough brisket. He also said we want our customers to be 100% satisfied so he refunded me the entire amount! He even offered to pay for my sandwich but I had already prepaid.

So long story longer, they have a life long customer in myself for such excellent customer service that you just don't see in this day and age any more.

Comment

Originally posted by panteracfh3 View Post
          Located on the line of Lowell/Chelmsford, it's a great family owned business. All of their beef is USDA Prime. I bought a brisket from there over the weekend and it did not disappoint.

Click here for the link to their Website!
          Are they better than J&B Butcher? There’s one near me in Stoneham. I went in a checked it out and it looked OK, but didn’t blow me away.

Comment

• panteracfh3
            panteracfh3 commented
            Editing a comment
            There’s a J&B near me in Tewksbury and I like alpine better. I think there’s a better selection and better quality IMO

• ScottyC13
            ScottyC13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

Looks like a good place, prices are better than a lot of other online suppliers. I'm only seeing beef on the mail order site, need to ask them if I can get some lamb thrown in when I order.

Comment

• panteracfh3
            panteracfh3 commented
            Editing a comment
            The online site is fairly new I believe. Couldn’t hurt to call and ask if it’s possible. I’ve never tried but don’t see why it couldn’t be possible

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here