Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take a Pork Belly, a knife, and a 26 year butcher, and voila! St. Louis Cut Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a Pork Belly, a knife, and a 26 year butcher, and voila! St. Louis Cut Ribs

My work brought me to Eunice, Louisiana yesterday, where there exists the fabulous http://eunicesuperette.com/. It's a full slaughterhouse, smokehouse and meat market. Oh Yeah!!!!

So, of course, I had to stop by after I fixed the washer at the hotel. It's a full on butcher counter, with real, live butchers right there, cutting large pieces of meat into smaller ones, right there before your eyes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2972-90.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	95463

I saw marinated duck in the cooler, so I grabbed that to add to the dinner party I was going to last night. And the more I looked, the more I bought.

Ground meat? Yes!!! Looks way full of gorgeous fat!

Then I saw it, St. Louis Cut ribs right there on one of the bins at the meat counter. I asked for 2 racks. He said I'll then them as soon at the butcher finished with the current customer. He ordered a full pork loin. The butcher brought it out of the cooler with skin on, asked if the guy wanted the skin, "no sir" the the butcher removed it, then proceeded to cut part of the center bone portion out, making it easier to handle. Wow, that was fun!

He then got to me, and brought out this:

Name:	IMG_2973-90.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	95461

Yep, that looks like one side of a pork belly. Above he is pulling off this great layer of fat, which went into those cool gray boxes behind. They use that meat for sausage, boudin, etc. I was mesmerized. He kept cutting.

Name:	IMG_2974-90.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	95460
    I asked if I could record the moment to share with my BBQ peeps, and he was fine with that. And we chatted. His knife seemed to move though that fresh pork like butter!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975-90.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	95462

And just like that, St. Louis Cut Ribs from a fresh, Louisiana pig!

Name:	IMG_2978.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	95459

Plus, I made some new friends, and have the card for the commercial sales person so I can buy cases. They deliver to Lake Charles twice a week.

This week's specials:

Name:	IMG_2971-90.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	95464

I'll try to embed the video of the experience here:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/scaUdRt3vzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a link to the video of the fun:

Yeah!!!!!!
    paul

Cool post, cool video Paul!

Comment

Thanks, Paul, for the "tour" of the superette. It is so enjoyable to watch people do what they do so well.

Kathryn

Comment

Cool, i'll take a couple of those whole hogs.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot wait to cook one!

Awesome post Paul!! The fella on the left just makes you smile. He looks like he's happy as can be!!! Just made my morning!!! Thanks.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        He was great! Friendly and patient with everyone.

And you left without LARD????????

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Well, thanks to you, now I'll remember!

Thanks for sharing PaulstheRibList. I'm in Baton Rouge and will have to find a reason for my work to bring me to Eunice now!

Comment

Did you catch what a half calve cost....man I would fill my freezer !

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Well, I already have more than they can fit! I'm aging my briskets in an ice chest in the garage - buy a couple bags of ice every other day! #HowDoesJarrodDoIt

Well, I almost could not wait for the weekend to cook these super-cool ribs!

Name:	IMG_3068-90.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	96878

Did I mention yet how HUGE and MEATY these ribs are? Want to take a look. OK, here you go.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3071-90.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	96877

That's the thinner rack; here's the thicker one:

Name:	IMG_3069.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	96876

Are you freakin kidding me!

Onto the stick burner they go, along with some rockin' Beek Chuck Ribs I also got from Eunice Superette. Top rack of ribs is Salt and Pepper, bottom rack is generously rubbed with Memphis Dust.

Name:	IMG_3073.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	96880

About 5+ hours later, after a 275 target temp in the Stick Burner (pretty clean fire throughout!)

Get ready...you probably aren't ready for this quite yet...

Name:	IMG_3082-90.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	96883 #Boom These are the WAY THICKEST Ribs I have ever seen! Meathead, have you seen any like this before?

Name:	IMG_3088-90.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	96882

Here is a little of the bits sliced from the end..YUM!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3087.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	96881

I am so ready to go back to the Superette and get some of these ribs!

And, YES, they were delicious!!!!

#KeepingItFun
      paul
      Attached Files

Comment

This may be one of the coolest posts I've come across on this site. Those ribs look amazing...pun intended.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          When I asked for St Louis cut ribs...he pulled out a half a pork belly and cut them out of there, Wow! That was fun. I'm sure you could hear it in my voice! #BBQGeek

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          And Thank you!

Didn't see the video the first time, i'll take that knife, but who is it that orders so many single ribs that it is the default cut??

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          I was wondering the same thing?

I def need to go back here and get more! My next Pulled Pork gig, I'm going to buy a case of fresh butts from them, and add on a couple racks of St. Louis...maybe I'll get lucky and they will be these huge ones!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here