Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Choice Meats in Herington, KS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Choice Meats in Herington, KS

This is a butcher in a little place called Herington, KS. When you walk in, you can peek around the corner and see them doing the butchering. They get the cows, pigs, etc from local farms in the area so everything is nice and fresh. I love their hamburger meat, ribeyes, and pork shoulders. They sell the pork shoulders for just over $1/lb and always in packs of 2 (the last 2-pack I bought weighed in at 23 lbs and cost me just under $30). They have briskets that are reasonably priced as well (about $47 for a 12 lb last time I bought). Their meat isn't graded, but is up there with some of the nicer choice meats I have cooked. Everything comes flash-frozen, so not a good place to pick up that shoulder if you are going to cook it that night. However, for price and quality, I don't think they can be beat.

it is nice to have a real butcher that breaks down primals and whole animals

Comment

We have a higher end "butcher shop" that never has anything (when I asked for a couple smaller racks of ribs the main guy paused then said they all have the same number of bones), they are essentially a Boars Nest deli with some other meats, very expensive. Then there is one about 20 minutes away that while their ribs are almost frozen in cryovac there are always 3-4 guys back there breaking down animals. Their price is about the same honestly, but the service and knowledge are worth my extra drive and money. When you come in one will stop what he is doing and help with anything you need, tell them what you want or what you are cooking for and they make it happen. They also give me a plate and let me sample all of their rubs and sauces. They have a monthly sauce and rub competition so their is always something unique, and they will always give you the recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here