Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Brothers Comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Brothers Comment

The following post is in error as explained further below in an edit. I will leave my original, incorrect words so as to display my eternal shame.

So, first to thank Meathead for the discount deals from Allen Brothers and Sitka Salmon. Still eagerly awaiting delivery from Sitka this Friday. As to Allen Brothers, the flank steaks and the beef short ribs were excellent--we've eaten both flank steaks and one of the short rib plates. I just took the second plate out and decided to weigh it; it came in at 3.12 pounds, well short of the promised 4-5 pounds. I didn't weigh the first one (nor did I weigh either of the flank steaks), but both short rib plates were equally sized to my memory. After reading comments from another poster or two regarding "light" weights, I guess I'd say I'd be unlikely to order from AB again, the high quality notwithstanding.

I'm not looking to discourage/discredit Meathead here; I hope he continues to pass on deals as he makes/finds them. I did figure it was worth noting the discrepancy. FWIW.

Edited to add: As explained here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-brothers-post I misread my kitchen scale. My bad, my dumb mistake.. The correct weight for the slab was 3 pounds, twelve ounces, not 3.12 pounds.
    Last edited by Willy; October 23, 2020, 01:43 PM.

That is nearly a 25% loss in weight. Wouldn't take long to negate any discount.
    I would guess Meathead will bring this to their attention.

Comment

I received an order from AB this last Friday. I ordered Berkshire pork chops among other things. The web site showed big porterhouse cut chops. What arrived were anemic looking loin chops. Very disappointing. I went back to the site and found some extremely fine print saying you have a choice of porterhouse or loin chops yet I was never give that choice during the order process. I contacted AB and was basically told tough luck. I will say the other items I ordered were as expected and look like they will cook up great. So mixed review I guess.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Good meat, deceptive or sloppy advertising.

To be clear, I am NOT looking to be compensated here. I enjoyed the meats. As I noted in my OP, I wanted to note the discrepancy.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise for me.

Meathead has suggested in the past that you have issues, you can reach out to Mark Felix [email protected] or call 312.590.5290. I can't find the thread, but he's also said that Allen Brothers is not trying to short Pitmasters' members deliberately, as they don't know whose order belongs to who, but just a function of them grabbing x meat for the order and not weighing them as closely as they should.

Comment

Disappointed to hear this. I have been buying from them for years and never had a problem.

Comment

I just gat a call from Mark at Allen Brothers regarding the post I left above. Meathead, if you had anything to do with that, many thanks. Regardless, I shared my experience with Mark. He was very courteous and listened to what I had to say. And although I wasn’t expecting it, he is sending me a NO Charge replacement order with the porterhouse chops I had expected. Very, very impressive service. With this kind of customer care, I see myself being a customer for life. 👍

Comment

I spoke with Mark via email. He said that sometimes individual pieces in a shipment may be underweight but that the shipping dept is trained to make certain the overall weight is 8.5 lbs net weight.

Comment

For the meathead bbq kit https://www.allenbrothers.com/produc...-bbq-kit/10932. What exactly are the beef short ribs? Are they also termed plate ribs, chuck ribs or are they different? I am just trying to make sure I pick the right recipe when smoking them. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here