Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Publican Quality Meats - 825 W. Fulton Market Street, West Loop Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publican Quality Meats - 825 W. Fulton Market Street, West Loop Chicago

According to their website:
    Evoking old-world charm, Publican Quality Meats is a butcher shop, neighborhood café, bakery and gourmet market, aptly located in Chicago’s meatpacking district. A multi-faceted property, Publican Quality Meats acts as The Publican’s private dining room by night, as well as a fully functioning catering operation. Publican Quality Meats is the collective vision of Executive Chef Paul Kahan and restaurateurs Donnie Madia, Terry Alexander and Eduard Seitan.
    The highly seasonal menu and chef-curated retail offerings include house-made charcuterie, artisanal cheeses, freshly baked breads, specialty coffee drinks and rustic soups and sandwiches developed under the care of Chef AJ Walker. In line with the butcher shop’s thoughtful fare is an eclectic and focused selection of beer and wine.
    Having heard Paul Kahan on The Feed Podcast, and having wanted to go to many of his restaurants over the years, I decided to check PQM out for something special for Independence Day. Their website has a web ordering form, but no real catalog, which makes placing an order very difficult. Fortunately, they had a set of deals for the holiday, which included Berkshire pork ribs. No discussion of cut, so I assume spares, but make sure to ask. Nope, it's for BBRs, which I should have done, but I asked for spares, so they said they would cut me two racks special. They even have a guy from St. Louis, so SLCs no problem.

I also picked up some Avec Dates with the piquillo sauce.

As you might be able to see from the picture below, a very tight rack of ribs. Many shiners, almost no meat on top of the bones. Now, yeah, Berkshires have skinny spare ribs. But this wasn't that. This was poor cutting. This was taking off too much belly (probably to make bacon or sell the belly thicker). Not happy.

I made good ribs out of them, but after years of getting Berkshire pork chops from HeritageFoodsUSA.com, I expect my Berkshire to be rich and exceptionally flavorful. These were that, but they were not the quality cut of other ribs.

Now, in their defense, they do say they specialize in charcuterie and sausage. But Paulina does sausage and is a great, full service butcher. I might go back from some of the charcuterie, but not for the whole animal butchering. They butchered my ribs.

On the upside, the dates were the truth. Stuffed with chorizo (house made) and wrapped with bacon (house made), in a bright orange sauce with tomato and piquillo pepper, they were great.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here