Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice Beef Plate Ribs - Did I Screw Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice Beef Plate Ribs - Did I Screw Up?

I’ve been itching to do some beef ribs, and today Costco had Choice beef plate ribs for $7.99/lb, which seemed quite reasonable to me. I checked them out and couldn’t find a package with the "almost prime" look, so I passed. Now that I’m home I’m wondering if I should have rolled the dice. Are plate ribs so rich that even Choice are really good? What would you have done? Sorry, I forgot to take a pic.

I have cooked choice grade plate ribs from Costco and they were very good. BUT that was in pre-pandemic times and they were packaged in single racks. Lately my local Costco has had them for $7.99/lb also. But they’re in two packs. When I looked closely at them, I saw one nice big rack and one small skinny rack in the package. Therefore I have been leaving them in the case. It’s not about the quality of the meat. It’s about one of the racks being what appears to be mostly bone. $7.99/lb bone at that.

Comment

I'd agree that the grade is less critical as this is a cut with a bunch of intramuscular fat normally. I've had select grade that was still succulent. The amount of meat can be a bit deceptive and while "more is better" these do that shrink and swell thing too.

Comment

• StrikeBBQ
        StrikeBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve done select too - they are great.

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Was going to reply but this comment said everything I intended to. Cheers good sir.

Yes,,,,

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree in so many words

I agree, plenty of marbling in this cut - if these were 3-bone racks, I'd probably go for it, if 4-bone, what I've recently learned were the less-meaty version, I might pass.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        It is that 4th ribs

Thanks all. I’ll give them a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid placements, they are a curated selection of reviewed products.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

Big. Bold. Flavor.

Meathead's Amazing rubs and sauce

Introduce big, bold flavor to your BBQ and grilling creations thanks to the Meathead’s Amazing line of pork, red meat, and poultry rubs as well as a KC-style BBQ sauce. Click here to read more and to purchase.

A Propane Smoker That Performs Under Pressure

The Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’. Click here to read our detailed review.

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker, placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side. Click here to read our complete review.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.