Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orlando/Central Florida Butcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orlando/Central Florida Butcher?

If anyone knows of a good butcher they recommend in the area, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks

My brother who lives out in Winter Garden and has forgotten more about cooking than I will ever know recommends:

The Local Butcher and Market Winter Garden is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with The Local Butcher and Market Winter Garden and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share...

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, I've never heard of the place your brother recommends. I will check it out, its only 15-20 minutes from where I live and I'm always more interested in supporting local outfits than the big guys!

I've never even had that place pop up in my local searches. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I live in Winter Park and get a lot of my meat (esp back ribs, pork shoulders, and USDA prime beef) at Costco. The only downside to Costco is what they have in the case is what they have, they won't special order things and they won't even say take a tray of 4 prime steaks and repackage it to 2 (at least not the time I asked them to, and I haven't asked again). For example with brisket, the Costco on University only carries the flat and even calling ahead I haven't had any luck getting them to order me a whole packer. But their prices and quality of what they do have is very good, their back ribs for example come nicely trimmed with the membrane removed at a lower price than most other places sell baby back ribs that have to be trimmed and membrane removed etc. For prime beef, Costco prices can't be beat, I was there yesterday and they had USDA prime NY Strips for I want to say $13.99/lb, and USDA prime filet mignon for $19.99/lb. That was cut steaks 4 to a tray, the whole primal is available for cheaper (and again, prime).

If I need a specialty cut the best place in the area is Petty's off 434. Petty's has a wide selection on hand and can special order just about anything within reason (for example, if you want a USDA prime whole packer brisket they will happily order it for you, if I call and ask for something not only do they have or can order it, they ask "what size do you want?"). Cavalaries out in Oviedo is the next best in the area in my opinion. The Meathouse in winter park is close to me and I was very excited when they opened but they not very good, mostly pre-marinated meat, they're often out of common cuts, their staff is not very knowledgeable, and they are way overpriced.

For more typical weeknight type meals (chicken esp the greenwise whole chickens, pork roast or pork chops, ground beef, usda choice beef) Publix is not bad at all, and are very accommodating if you go to the window and ask for a custom cut or have them grind something for you etc. We also have both Fresh Market and Whole Foods in the area, both are fine but IME their meat isn't any better than Publix and is more expensive.

The back ribs that are about to go on my green egg in about 10 minutes are from Costco. For everyday shopping, Publix. For something special, Petty's is the best bet in the area followed by Cavalaries. JMO.
      Last edited by Walt Dockery; July 17, 2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm in Oviedo, so i'll probably check out Cavalaries first, since it's closest. Funny you should mention Costco because I was just telling someone the other day that lately tons of people have been bringing up Costco for everything from dog food, to propane and meat. I'm about to go look up their membership rates, it might be time to give them a chance. We've only previously been Sam's Club members.

Comment

Glad I stumbled across this thread! I live at the east end of HWY 46 in the Mims/Titusville area and there aren't many options for great meat here. We go to Sams but a good butcher would be nice. I think I'll try Cavalaries since it's a shorter drive for me. JPGators17 if you don't mind please add your review of Cavalaries to what Walt Dockery offered. Thanks!

Comment

We stumbled across a place in Melbourne called Wassi's Meat Market. They have SRF prime briskets, prime Wagyu cuts and they are a big Green Egg dealer. Have picked up sausage, pork chops, tri tip (yes, they had several great looking ones to choose from) and burger and all has been very good.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              I live in Merritt Island and I buy meat from Wassi's. They have Petite Tender (Teris major) and Hanger steaks. Hard to find and still kind of affordable.

Orlando Meats in the Ivanhoe area does whole animal butchery, so you can get pretty much whatever you want. Not cheap compared to big box stores and groceries, but competitive with on-line specialty places.

https://orlandomeats.com/butcher/

Also Freshfield Farms just off Michigan in the Conway area

And Choice Meats in Winter Garden
            Choice Meats, Winter Garden, Florida. 3,808 likes · 12 talking about this · 164 were here. Choice Meats is a local, family owned and operated business. We have offered fresh meat to our customers...

The latter two are really more retail meat markets but they have a good selection of commodity meat at better prices than the big box places and groceries. They do some butchery to meet requests.

And one more, Seabra Supermarket off International in tourist trap land. They are an ethnic (Brazilian) place. Except Picanha, their meat is not really special, but they have the most incredible selection of ethnic sausages I've ever seen.
            Seabra Foods supermarkets are located in US. Specializing in ethnic products imported from Portugal, Spain, Brazil and other south american countries

Last edited by johnec00; April 20, 2019, 09:08 PM. Reason: Keep think of more ideas to add.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the suggestions. We hit up Seabra when we go to Orlando and when Picanha is on sale.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here