Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L.A.

Marconda Meats and Huntington Meats, both at the Farmers Market, both good.
    McCall's Meat in Los Feliz has good fish, too.
    Romeo at M&M in Studio City will order you anything.

Maconda is very good, however Harvey's Guss Meats are equal if not better, but expensive.
    Harvey's Guss Meat
    949 S. Ogden Drive
    Los Angeles, CA 90036

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm very sorry to say, but Harvey's Guss Meat closed about 2-3 years ago. He retired.

WOW. This is IT?? Very sad indeed. I've been using Whole Foods because it's the only place I've found on the Westside where I can order what I want.

For fish I use Santa Monica Seafood.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not it at all, sir. I don't know what's open anymore because of the craziness, but there is/was Gwen's butcher shop, Belcampo, and Standing's Butchery to name a few. That's just on my side of the hill. Tried those three many times. Pricey, but great quality.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for Santa Monica Seafood.
      Now that I live in a different direction I will also go to Dry Dock Fish Co. in Fullerton. https://drydockfish.com They also show up at various farmer’s markets…and even then have a decent selection. Their fatty tuna has always been outstanding. They usually have a couple variations.

Guess I should read the date of the post! Derp LOL
      Oh well, I’ll leave it here in case it comes up again.
      Last edited by surfdog; May 15, 2023, 01:41 PM. Reason: Saw the date. Doh!

• ChrisP
      ChrisP commented
      Editing a comment
      Love my SMS, but Costco has steelhead at a better price.

Finding a large full brisket has proven tough. Costco seems not to carry them any more, and Smart and Finals all seem to top at 11lbs. Whole Paycheck's are...a whole paycheck... ;-)

Any 411?

I live in Hermosa Beach, Ca. I find Whole Foods way over priced. As are most of the small volume meat and fish markets. I buy almost all of my meat at Costco. They always have choice grade meat. They frequently have Prime grade meat. I recently bought Prime grade ribeye steaks there at $15.99 per pound. Whole foods for the same grade of meat is $19.99 or more.

I have recently started buying all of my staples on Amazon Fresh.com. My favorite bread flour that comes in 5lb bags at Whole Foods is $8.99 a bag. At Albertsons it's $6.49 per bag, sometimes on sale at $5.99 a bag. Amazon's everyday price is $3.49 a bag. I pay $5.99 a box to have groceries delivered, by the USPS, from Amazon, but the box came with 4 bags of that flour in it and many other staples that totaled $85.

You all might want to check this AmazonFresh.com thing out... I'm just saying.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      @smarkley

My favorite bread flour is King Arthur bread flour. My second favorite that I will buy when I can't find KA is General Mills "Better for Bread" bread flour. They both work really well, but KA is 100% employee owned so I like to support them.

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip! By the way, we're almost neighbors. I work in El Segundo and live in Rancho Park.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      PappyBBQ - I use to work in El Segundo (Raytheon), now I'm at USC. I also grew up in Cheviot Hills. John O'Groats (I remember when it was on Pico/Manning), Marty's hamburgers, Apple Pan, Juniors, Sorrento's (CC) and Tito's Tacos (CC). All good memories.

Yeah. I buy at Costco a lot. I find their meat just fine. It's "special order" stuff that's hard to come by. One of my fav's is a whole uncut slab of "short ribs". Super meaty and way better than back bones. Takes forever to cook on my COS but I'm looking forward to trying them on my new PBC - when I can afford them that is! :-( Next time I'm in Costco I'll ask about the possibility of "special ordering" them... Funny I've never thought of that before.

Comment

A relocation to the west San Fernando Valley introduced me to Jim's Meat Market in Woodland Hills. Good stuff. And they'll order you anything.

Comment

My Ralph's (Kroger) up here in La Crescenta is fantastic. Dry aged beef, Waygu, choice, etc.
        If I need to order anything special, I go through the restaurant I use to bartend at.
        For fish - Fish King in Glendale

Comment

Looking for full packer (19-20lb) brisket LA westside. Neither Costco nor Smart & Final have them. Any ideas?

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmer's Market at 3rd at Fairfax has two butchers. I'd imagine prices are higher than Costco though. I think $8/pound for prime.

ChrisP

Wild Fork Foods has several stores in LA, and they often deliver next day. Prime packers are currently $4.98/# and Choice are $3.48. They have great meat.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2ED632EF-E432-4FE3-A567-6D16B22CB316.png
Views:	120
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1419323

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here