Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco meat prices vs. Wild Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco meat prices vs. Wild Fork

Just placed my first order with Wild Fork after going to my local Costco yesterday and seeing their new prices.

Costco's babybacks $5.99/lb.-WF Berkshire BB's $6.98/lb.
    Costco's St. Louis Ribs $5.49/lb.-WF Berkshire St. Louis Ribs $6.58/lb.
    Costco's Prime Tri-tip $13.99/lb.-WF Prime Tri-tip $8.48/lb.
    Costco's Choice Chuck roast $7.49/lb.-WF Choice Chuck roast $5.18/lb.

Also bought a Black Angus Choice Picanha from WF for $8.98/lb.

I'll let y'all know how my order turns out. With WF's Berkshire ribs only being $1.00/lb. or so higher than Costco's Swift brand ribs, I'll take the Berkshire.

Yeah I went into Costco for the first time in a while yesterday. Prices were high (compared to normal, brisket at $5.49 ) and there wasn't a lot out. Now, they're also not seeing runs on meat for longterm freezing either so... maybe the quantity is more normal.

Comment

I remember about a year ago Sam's (similar in nearly every way to Costco, if you're not familiar) briskets went from ~2.98/lb for Prime to ~$7/lb nearly overnight. I was just telling my wife I need to go get more before that happens again. Looks like I might be too late. Sam's & Costco tend to do the same things at the same time. I have 4 briskets in the freezer but, you know, MORE MORE MORE!

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee you've waited too long. Brisket was $5 a pound at my Sam's last weekend, both choice and prime, double what it was in April. Flank steak there has gone from $5.99 in April to $7.99 in May to $9.68 this past Saturday.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Aww mannnnnn jfmorris

wrgilb thanks for saving me a trip across down to check Costco's prices. What you are quoting is pretty much in line with what I saw at Sam's Club this past Saturday. All the beef aside from ground was about doubled since the last time I bought some in late April or early May. And I don't buy ground beef at Sam's anymore as they don't seem to carry 80/20 anymore, which is what I want for burgers. The 90/10 stuff is too dry.

Ribs at Sam's this past Saturday were in line with what you saw at Costco - and I paid $1.89 for untrimmed spares back in April! The untrimmed spares were $4.99 a pound Saturday.

For what its worth, I was in Fresh Market yesterday, and they had 3 packs of their "prime pork" baby backs for $3.49 a pound. Still very high, but much lower than Sam's and Costco. So I walked out with a 3 pack. A few days earlier, the local Walmart had Tyson St. Louis cut spares for $2.89 a pound, so I got a couple racks of those as well, to one of the garage freezer shelves is packed full of ribs at the moment!
      Last edited by jfmorris; June 10, 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Around here at least, Fresh Market is still selling their freshly ground 80/20 chuck for $2.99 every Tuesday. I've been expecting that to end, or for them to put a quantity limit on it like they did earlier in the pandemic.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        johnec00 I've also been grabbing chuck at Fresh Market versus anywhere else. I prefer fresh for doing smash burgers, but the price is right, and I'll thaw when needed, or make patties and freeze that way.

This sounds like something out of the Book of Revelations.
      I will check out Wild Fork, shopping day is Friday, and if I have space in the freezer . . .
      Sure I upgrade my pellet grill and this happens. I guess "If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".
      Happy Grilling to all.

Comment

You will be happy with the quality. I have ordered several times recently and the quality was very good. Shipped in dry ice in a styrofoam container. Also came UPS instead of Fedex which means I got it on time.

Comment

I would ask how shipping costs added to the total. Thanks!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            That will depend on how you play their game. First order is no charge promo deal. After that the shipping charge could have a significant (somewhat) impact depending on how much you buy. Or, you can join their "Club" and pay a $29 annual fee that entitles you to no charge shipping for orders over $50. I've done 8 purchases from them so far over 8 months, so my average could be calculated under $4 per, so far. My order average is around $120, so minimal impact.
            Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 11, 2021, 05:45 PM. Reason: corrected to current membership amount

A contributing factor. this was two weeks ago. it's higher now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210531_104846738.jpg
Views:	2064
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1043664

Comment

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            latenight71 That's a good price, Costco's choice was $11.99/lb.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! It's still around $2.80 here.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris - Same around here. Of course, we're not paying sin taxes to fund California's insatiable drive to tax citizens to oblivion.

I just bought back ribs at Costco (3-pack)....$3.99 / lb on the Chicago border tonight. So I paid $40 and change. Our local Mariano's (Kroger owned) had a sale over Memorial Day which was buy one get one free. Their racks of ribs were about $13 or so a rack. Seemed like a wash cash wise, but I like the quality better from Costco and they're already silver skin free.

Comment

Yep, Costco here in VA had St Louie and BBacks at $3.99 lb.

Only one full packer in the bin.

Comment

Years ago a friend of mine told me he taught his children to read restaurant menus from right to left. That pretty much is how I shop for meat. When the price is low I buy and when it high I do without. Last week I picked up a choice brisket for $1.71 a pound and this week it is Boston Butt at $.97.

Comment

My local Kroger has Boston Butt for $0.99 a pound through the 15th with the membership card. Not my favorite pork, but I will probably pick a couple up for the freezer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                  I would ask how shipping costs added to the total. Thanks!

Shipping is $29 for the year if you join not 39. That is what I did. Order has to be at least $50 for free ship

Comment

FWIW, I got not frozen full spares at Wally World this week for $1.94/lb. It's the first time I've seen sub-$2/lb ribs of any kind in a very long while.

Comment

Apparently not many folk are buying the ribs at Sam;a Club at prices of $4-5. I was in there today and prices in the main meat counter were still high. Then I came across and end cap unit that had a bunch of spares marked back down to the original price of $1.89 for quick sale, as they had to be used or frozen by this weekend. I snagged a couple of 2 packs of full spares and shoved them in the freezer this afternoon.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice score, Jim.

BTW, how's Yvonne doing? I might have missed an update, I'm not sure.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dewesq55 Thanks for asking. She has been home for a week and a day, so I guess at this point only has 7-9 weeks of non-weightbearing with her left leg. Physically she is doing much better, but it is frustrating to stuck in a recliner all day. On the plus side, she is getting daily weekday visits from nurses, PT and OT, and getting the help she needs. I'll post a full update elsewhere.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here