Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime meat from Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime meat from Costco

While I have been a big fan, I’m finding that Costco prime sirloin to be occasionally chewy and even tough. I purchased 10 steaks in February and while some were excellent, others were not great. And I carefully select them for their marbling. I’m going to have to look for another source.

Haven’t been since January. I’m curious though what others have found.

Comment

I won’t buy Costco steaks because they ruin them by blade tenderizing them.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Here they aren’t doing this on all of them anymore, but I usually buy whole sub-primals and cut and vacuum pack myself for the extra savings. On subprimals I’ve never seen them do this. Last time I was there, two of the individual cuts I looked at were labeled blade tenderized and two were not.

Each cow is it’s own being. I’ve had good luck with Costco Prime beef, it’s a USDA grading, not Costco’s. However, like anything, you can’t know the life of the cow by the appearance on the marbling of the meat. Only way to get that predictable is to buy it from a specific farmer every time and you’ll still find the occasional dud. I go for the 75 or 80 percent rule. If that percentage is great, I keep shopping there as they are getting decent meat.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll even find a couple dud steaks cut from a single sub-primal that was otherwise awesome.

• BBQPhil
        BBQPhil commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Very helpful.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here