Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant Depot: what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant Depot: what to expect?

I'm going to go to the one that just opened near me, next week. I'll be using my KCBS card.

I don't want cases of stuff: I just want some ribs, beef ribs, maybe a brisket. Will they have that, or do I have to buy bulk?

I'm sure they'll take my money (cash and carry, I hear). I just want to follow the proper protocol.

The one by me takes credit cards as well.
    Briskets are sold individually. Full packers. Ribs usually 3 pack if I remember correctly. Beef "plate" ribs are solid 2 pack. 3 ribs x2.
    I’m going tomorrow. I’ll Take some pics and post them here for you.

Oh yeah. Expect to be overwhelmed.
    You can definitely get into trouble there. 😁😁

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but is this like a Sam's or Costco? Heard of them for a long time but I've never visited one or really read much about what they offer and such.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no. It’s strictly meant for the restaurant industry. But you as an individual can go if you have a membership card to get inside. πŸ€” Did I just quote a song. πŸ˜‚ Watch for my pics on this thread tomorrow after I go there.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B so just like Sam's? or Costco? Lol.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Never been to RSS so I don't know how it works but I've been to culinary stores in my area that just asked if I owned a business. I do, though not food-related in any way, and they okay.

The ability to go to Restaurant Depot is the perk I would most like to see added to AR

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I second the idea about AR membership getting you in the door, that should be researched again. Where’s allsid ?

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried recently at a store I was visiting as we don't have one where I live. They were not too keen for conversation Troutman

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        What we need is to get some RD execs to be AR members...

We went to one in Tucson a few months ago. Based on that one experience, I wasn't impressed. I'll no doubt give it a second shot someday before the KCBS membership expires.

Comment

I love going in there and wandering around. The one by me has charcoal, butcher paper, all sorts of aluminum pans, chafing dishes you name it. Hot sauces, knives, seasonings in bulk, tons of beef, pork, frozen appetizers, gyro meat, seafood etc etc.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Would you say pricing was big box competitive?

• Butchman
          Butchman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it’s close, what I really like is they carry things that I’m not able to buy at Costco. For instance, I was there a few days ago and in the beef section I saw a sign advertising culotte (picanya).
          I didn’t find it due to the store was closing and I didn’t have time.
          I’m going to go back when I have time to hunt and compare prices as well.

For me, I can get everything I need from Costco, but on occasion I do go in there to purchase primal cuts of meat. My RD only carries choice black angus briskets, no prime. They are still good. I’ve never needed a membership card, they have a generic card they scan prior to my purchases.

Also, on occasion, they have good deals on charcoal. I’ve gotten RO lump for $8/20lbs bag.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The nearest Costco is about 75 miles. The nearest RD used to be almost 100 miles, and then one opened up so close to work that I could walk to it.

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s definitely worth shopping there, but I don’t always need the quantity they are selling, ie veggies. It will likely fit a good niche for you. I’ve been pleased with meats from there.

Steve B "The sign says long haired freely people need not apply." I guess your in. πŸ€”πŸ€”

yeah ah there’s a lot of "stuff" in there. At face value "impressive" no. But it is what the name says. They are all business in there. It’s no Costco.

The seafood (frozen too) alone is massive. A lot of Cab beef. Endcaps at meat will have their specials.

Like said above tons of stuff. Lots of frozen products too. Many are really good for what they are.

Tonss and tons of "stuff" from pans to equipment to coffees, containers, boards, place ware, foil, papers products, hotel pans, produce, meat, liquor, soda, condiments, baking stuff, breads etc...

if if you find it in a restaurant you will find it there.

Dont you need 17,000 coffee filters. How about a box of blended fryer oil. 1600 plastic spoons or 5000 sugar packets?

Steve B look there for the fryer cleaners.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          LMFAO Homey. You’re killing me softly with his words. Killing me softly.

I already got the cleaner you suggested. And it worked great. Thanks brother.
          Last edited by Steve B; July 18, 2019, 08:58 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          do this don't do that can't you read the sign?

That’s "freaky" people, Five Man Electric Band

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

And Roberta flack. 😁

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          hold the fort, what about Tesla?

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Five Man ELECTRICAL Band wrote and performed the original. Tesla covered it, adding some colourful language to it.

I'm thinking about joining the KCBS for this benefit. What other benefits do you get for joining? Is it worth the $40/year in your opinion?

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really, unless you are into competition. I got a couple nice stickers, that’s about it. Donate the $40 to BBQ Rescue.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          If your RD is close by and you buy enough stuff in a year to justify it, it would be a nice benefit. But it's a pretty bare bones restaurant supply company, and you would likely get more good out of a membership at Costco or Sam's. I wouldn't join KCBS just to be able to get in the door at RD.

• saguy03
          saguy03 commented
          Editing a comment
          You can use any business license to get a membership (not just food-related industries only). https://www.restaurantdepot.com/membership/signup

Ok. Here are some pics from my trip to RD today.
        Not gonna write too much. Just let the pics do the talking.
        One thing I will say is the most impressive thing, for me anyway, is the wall of eggs. 😲 Click image for larger version

Name:	653A120C-E7B9-42DF-A009-C66DF714B327.jpeg
Views:	2222
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	717093Click image for larger version

Name:	70776BCA-964B-4541-A2F4-3A0C76BD60FD.jpeg
Views:	2319
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	717094Click image for larger version

Name:	74DC4161-B213-4263-8139-389B3DF4092E.jpeg
Views:	2597
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	717095Click image for larger version

Name:	8EEB84FC-3CA4-48DF-AACC-0A5214CC9C16.jpeg
Views:	2209
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	717096Click image for larger version

Name:	C9391B35-9A13-4A92-84CF-1C71EEBEA2CA.jpeg
Views:	4086
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	717098Click image for larger version

Name:	7E6ACAFA-29CB-4880-86A6-449AFE3AF016.jpeg
Views:	2905
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	717097

Comment

Now here’s what I walked away with. πŸ˜πŸ˜¬πŸ™„πŸ˜³πŸ‘ Sorry. Some pics may be sideways. Click image for larger version

Name:	510BC937-FCC4-44CF-A034-DFC6957A64FB.jpeg
Views:	2304
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	717104Click image for larger version

Name:	67FC2B9A-7B42-4D18-8C6B-171AC412B7F8.jpeg
Views:	3350
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	717102Click image for larger version

Name:	A0865FA2-EBB2-49B7-9592-E9B63968633E.jpeg
Views:	2932
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	717103Click image for larger version

Name:	5F703093-9378-4EBE-AACC-666D1C52E242.jpeg
Views:	4305
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	717105Click image for larger version

Name:	1521E068-49EF-4A7D-8E35-9C01AE0E2D2B.jpeg
Views:	2717
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	717106Click image for larger version

Name:	B10113D7-8CC4-4B6C-AC87-78B307580152.jpeg
Views:	2602
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	717107

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Decent prices. No RD here but there are a couple restaurant supply stores I frequent and the prices seem comparable. A lot of the beef at the one I go to is Select so I always see the prices, check the lable and see Select, and then get disappointed.

But their prices for pork butts, pork bellies are cheaper than Costco. Ribs were much cheaper there than Costco too.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a good thing you have all those people to feed.πŸ˜ƒ

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey Are you talking about me, myself and aaahhhh Me??? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Never heard of Restaurant Depot. In Cali I shopped at a similar store called Smart and Final without needing a card or business to shop there. In Spokane it was Smart Foodservice, and now one in Wenatchee called US Chef's Supply.

Comment

This thread got resurrected by a spammer. I'd just like to add that KCBS members can shop at Restaurant Depot for free. I shopped there today.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              At some point in 2020 anyone could shop there. Just a way to keep inventory moving when so many restaurants were shut down or very limited. That may not be the case now.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here