Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At our Smartfoods (Cash & Carry) choice Angus brisket is $3.74/lb.

Comment

I have a feeling it's only gonna get worse, and for all of us this year. My in-laws in SD said none of the farmers in their area (near Sioux Falls) were able to plant in time so there will possibly be a massive reduction in feed corn and other feed crops normally provided from their area. The flooding and very delayed spring temps prevented anyone from planting anything except the minimum to secure their insurance payouts or the select few who decided to gamble on an exceptionally late frost to enable harvest... Not sure what the other flooded areas of the country are looking like farm wise, but I know a few of the other states were also prime suppliers of feed. Our Sams is usually ok with their meat supply and their Prime selection is hit or miss, but they seem to be reducing the cuts they have available.

*EDIT* Made the mistake of googling the effects of the crop shortage and discovered it's way worse than I thought, according to the interwebs anyway.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; June 25, 2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Ol dogs might have hit on it. With the business that Costco does my first thought is the industry. Somethin is up & I know crops hav been effected in a huge way with all the rain in the Midwest. There’s scuttlebut that corn is going to be at a premium & that will play with the costs of muchos things.

Comment

I have just been cooking choice from local supermarkets. The sale price has been inside of $2.00 a pound. A couple weeks ago I got one at Albertson’s with coupon for $1.39 a pound. I know that is ridiculous, but $1.69-1.99 has become a typical sale.

Comment

My cousin still dabbles in raising pure breed Charolais for beef, sent 4 down to Toronto to market last fall.
            He made $90 after transport costs, but you look at the prices in meat sections of most grocery stores and a brisket is $80....
            Somebodies making a killing here and it ain't the farmers IMHO.

Comment

My wife is in a small group of women that meet once a month also. When she hosts, I am asked to cook. I have served hem prime rib cooked to Meatheads instructions and rec great compliments! The next time I did tri-tip, and rec rave reviews again. The group she is in is known as The Alma Social Society. She refers to it as ASS meetings. After getting their meal served I head out to the garage for the evening.

Comment

You had me panicked, so I ran to Costco over my lunch break today. They had a dozen or so prime full packer briskets, and probably as many flats (unusual to have just the prime flats at my Costco actually). I picked up a full packer, it was $3.39/lb at the one here in Durham. I was in a rush, didn't look around unfortunately, but I did do a double take when I saw 3 packs of STLs for sale. I've previously only seen plain packs of baby backs at Costco, the STLs they've offered were always in some marinade. So that was a bonus, going to grab some of those soon. Wet aging the brisket for 30+ days and plan to dust it with Black Ops and smoke it for my birthday!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here