Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Craziness

Well, I went to Costco yesterday at lunch, as I had 3 empty propane tanks to refill, and they are the closest place that actually refills tanks to 20 pounds, versus exchanging empty for a 15 pound fill.

Took a walk through the meat department, and was very disappointed. Their briskets, of which they had just a few, are up to $3.99 a pound, was $2.99 a year ago. And I do not think I saw a SINGLE steak other than tenderloin that was not blade tenderized - it didn't seem to matter if it was choice or prime, it was blade tenderized. WHY? SHEAR CRAZINESS!

The meat my wife needed for me to cook burgers for her lady friends (Bunco here at our house tonight for a dozen women) was ground beef, and they had nothing other than 88% lean? Crazy. We left and went to Sam's Club, where I got the 80/20 ground chuck I wanted.

Sam's, at least the one 2 miles from my house, is starting to carry some Prime brisket and other cuts, and last time I checked, was $3.18 a pound for Angus choice, and $3.68 for Prime brisket. So.... I may be just down to filling propane tanks at Costco, and looking for an alternate camping or RV place that can do that for me as well.

Ha!! My wife belongs to our neighborhood bunco group, love cooking for those ladies, BIG eaters !!!

Comment

Heading to Wenatchee now, a two hour drive and will hit Costco, our nearest one, while there.

Comment

Been $3.99/lb here for months now, maybe even since fall. I feel your pain, but I am happy they are still avail.

Comment

We too have noticed some subtle changes at Costco but not only the meat department. Still plenty of things for us to make the effort to shop there, but we are becoming more and more weary of their pricing. For meat we are gradually shifting over to a local butcher that caters to local growers that want to sell their animals in bulk. Options of grass fed and finished to grass fed and grain finished are available. Most shops like this only offer by bulk purchases but this one does have a cooler and freezer for various cuts that we use most often. Pricing is a little higher per lb. for single package purchases but we think the quality of butchering methods and the quality of the meat is worth it. Like many the price to us is important but have a steak for example you would say that was very good to wow what a great steak is justification enough. I understand there are many variables from location to location so in a sense there is a small gamble to experiment to see if this can fill a void at times.

Comment

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish I had a butcher like that near me...

I’ve never seen 2.99 prime meat here but cut in the 3’s. Been a bit since I’ve been there though.

My wife does the bun I too. 12-16 people.

i don’t cook for them.

Comment

I just make myself scarce when its my wife's turn to host bunco. Unless its the Christmas one that the husbands are pulled along to as well...

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              She only hosts once a year, and usually I just hide in my office or leave. I think this is the first time she has asked me to cook for them. My plan right now is to flip smash burgers on the grill about 30 minutes before they get here, stick them in a pan in a warm oven, and leave about the time the ladies start showing up... . The 21 year old daughter has the same idea, so we will go eat ice cream, see a movie, hike, do something.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea they don't want you there, it's like a secret society of gossipers. I walked through the house on my way out one time and heard nothing but faint gasps then silence. For all I know their sacrificing animals in the back room.

$3.99 here as well and I see the same thing with the steaks. All blade tenderized. Even the tri tips are blade tenderized. If I buy them from Costco anymore I buy a whole bag that is a bit cheaper and not blade tenderized. There is a bit more trimming to be done though.

The killer for me is they blade tenderize their cap of ribeye. If there was any steak that didn't need that treatment it is that one.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I was actually looking at the cap, as I don't see that cut at Sam's or the grocery store, until I saw the fine print that it was blade tenderized!

I went for Tri-tip once and they were all sliced into steaks so I talked to the butcher there and he went and cut me some fresh prime Tri-tips off the cow. Maybe try talking to the butcher next time?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure the Costco here has cows in the back, but I can sure ask next time. I've never seen tri-tip in the meat counter. At one time last year they had some packaged pre-marinated and frozen tri-tips in the freezer section, but I passed on those.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure they are mooing back there but pretty sure they are butchering on the premises. Whether or not they are cutting Trip-tip in your region you should be able to get some steaks cut for you by the butcher. It's worth asking.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, the folks at the Medford meat dept are always very friendly and helpful.

Come to think of it my Costco buying has shifted as well. Tri-tip, still really good.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-tip 01.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	701027
            ...but it's crept up to $9.99/lb. I've been passing, can get good Picanha at $7.99/lb still so opt for it.

Brisket has held steady at $3.49/lb but the quality seems to have dropped. Can't find too many that look like this from last summer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket 01.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	701028

Gotta remember that we're dealing with commodity beef here. With the high demand across the nation it's got to be difficult for them to continue to offer prime quality meat on a consistent basis.

I guess I'm lucky in that our local grocer, HEB/Central Market, also offers prime packers and excellent cuts of beef and especially pork. Between the two I can usually find a pretty decent cut, but pricing is creeping higher.

My third choice is a butcher who carries CAB quality at the highest price point of the 3. Certified Angus Beef is generally of A- or B+ grade in my opinion. But your mileage will vary on that as well.

Again, supply and demand guys. As this hobby continues to grow in popularity so will pricing and lack of availability. Welcome to America !!!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              After seeing some pictures from you Texans of the meat counter at HEB, I would kill to have one of those here in Huntsville, Alabama. Guess I gotta move to Huntsville, Texas to get good meat! . You are right though about the demand and interest in BBQ increasing is driving the cost up.

Cheapest place I can get whole packet briskets within 50 miles of my house is Walmart. They want $3.99/lb. for select. I wish I had you alls problems.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Wonder if sous-vide-que could make a select brisket come out good? I've not cooked anything less than choice in a long time.

My local Costco only had Choice grade Point and it was $8.99/lb!!!

Comment

Massachusetts Costcos do not carry packer briskets, period. I feel bad about the price increase but at least you can buy them local!!

Comment

Troutman my costco has nothing that looks like that. only have brisket flats, no tri-tip, def no picanha.

Comment

Finally found tri tips in this area, ask Troutman about that story....
                Now Chuck roasts are a mystery.
                Local RCSS carries full packer briskets, I don't even know the price.
                If I like the price when it goes on the scale I say yes, plus one of my sons buddies works there and cuts me some slack, usually half to a third off.
                Don't go to Costco, there's better deals out there IMHO.
                Local Walmart's meat is killer, meaning it will kill you.
                Last edited by smokin fool; June 25, 2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here