Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Costco purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime full packer brisket and prime tri-tips.

Comment

Geeze these guys got you buying brisket, tri-tips, ribeye subprimals, toilet paper, tin foil and Hope chests. You'd better ask Momma if she'll allow you to triple that one fitty budget of yours, you're in for a shock my man !!!

And oh by the way, if you see something that looks like this....buy it !!!! (Prime tri-tip, $7.99/#)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-tip 01.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	665885

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's referred to around here as the old Texas two-step !!!

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I just say good luck on keeping within that budget at Costco. We always go over budget in there. Last weekend was $700 because I needed meat, and essentials like paper goods, dish soap, etc... and, I took "Momma" along - big mistake because she throws all kinds of things in there - plums and grapes (more than the two of us can eat), sweet rolls, toys for Grand Children, beer, a whole bunch of vitamins and minerals, a hat, gloves, you name it. Can't totally blame her, I threw in a few extras too.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I did get a prime brisket, 4 new york steaks, pork tenderloins, chicken breasts, and chicken thighs; about $200 of meat. We divided it up, seasoned and vacuum packed it; handy for weekday sous vide. The prime packer is not frozen and will be cooked (my first) this weekend. BTW, our Costco is a 1/2 hour drive one way, and probably is a good thing - we make it there about once a quarter. I think the extensive advice from other Pitsters will suit you well. Good Luck!

How about those rib cap rolled steaks (spinalis)?

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF I see those cuts all the time just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Glad to see you back man,

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF glad to hear you’re doing better. Get well, man!

Troutman advises well. I had shingles last year. Was diagnosed on a Saturday. Had plans of getting the vaccine the following week. 2nd time for me. I was 21 the first time and it was much worse.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Gents! Recovery has come along fine.

Yea and just so we've covered ALL of our Costco bases, their gas (at least here in Houston) is typically 10-15 cents less per gallon than anyone else, I mean ANYONE, PLUS if you use their CC you get 3% cash back which really cuts that cost to more like a 20 cent disparity. It's about the only gas I buy anymore.

Poor Willard, you'd better leave your checkbook, credit cards and whatever at home. It's like going to Vegas, just bring the cash you're willing to loose and walk away happy !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I get a better propane price at the hardware store across the street from my Costco, tho.

Ok. This is beginning to come into focus. So, a couple of weeks ago while I'm in Lafayette I'm sitting there watching my son in law cooking bbq shwimp. For something to do I ask my wife, 'Hey. How about if I buy a Costco membership? It's only 60 bucks and Drew and Holly really like it.' Had her right where I wanted her. 'Sure' she says.

Now I spent 60 bucks but don't have anything yet. So I ask for advice and I get tons of good advice, as expected. Since Costco is an hour away I'll just take my little Ford Fiesta. It gets 40 a gallon. But wait. A full packer brisket, which I would love to cook but haven't yet, is as big as my car. No problem. I'll take the Honda Accord. The brisket will fit in the trunk. But the trunk is HOT. I'll need a cooler and a good one. BIG Yeti. Wanted one anyway. But that's not fitting in the trunk. I don't want it full of ice and meat and sitting on the back seats. I splurged after all and got leather. Not happening. Hmmm. I know. Trade for an F-150. Make it a Lariat. Wanted one anyway. Dang that bed's high. I'm not that tall...or strong. How am I going to get both of those large Yeti's in there? (I decided 2 Yeti's is better than 1.) I'll need a ladder. No problem. The one I have has peppers and Italian parsley on it. Need a ladder anyway. Got all that done in one month. So off to Costco...(1 hour later). First I see the booze section. Smart, I think to myself. Look at the price of that Blanton's. And the Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. Wife likes 'Ritas. Tequilla. Love that Belgian Strong Ale and gotta have that weissbier. In the cart they go. Babe, gonna need another cart. Do they charge extra for that? Calculating...hmmm. 2 1/2 bills. How did that happen. Well I'm not putting anything back. Over to the meat. Ooops! Look at those fist-sized scallops. In the cart they go. Ok. Meat. Brisket. What a beauty! Never cooked it before. Make it 2. Butts. Ribs. Pork Loin. Prime prime rib. Yowser!! On the way out get the TP, two hot dogs and three tanks of propane. Wonder how much for the Kingsford. Oh well. Too Late. Where's the Lariat? Ok. Got it. Fill 'er up, please. Honey, you have to do it yourself. No problem. Wanted to anyway.

What did you think, Babe? Wonderful. One more stop on the way home. Where's that? Divorce attorney! Yikes...says she wanted to anyway. How about if we just go back into Costo? Those hot dogs were just fine.

But I appreciate the advice everyone :-)

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        It's kinda like that, but fortunately, it's a 6 minute drive for me, and the trunk to my Fusion would fit at least two human traffic victims, and I have a couple insulated bags from SRF and in the trunk, so don't need the Yetis. Course, it's Chicago, so it's not so bad even when it is hot.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't say I didn't warn ya

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey I lived in Chicago in ‘94 - ‘98. It can get hot.

Costco sells an insulated grocery bag large enough to hold $150.00 worth of meat and it's cheap also. We use it nearly every time we shop groceries, be it Costco or otherwise. https://www.amazon.com/costco-kirkla.../dp/b00m5jrogm
      Unfortunately unavailable right now from Amazon but Costco had them last time I looked.

Comment

I try my best to not make eye contact with the little booth ladies selling makeup and microwaveable snacks & such spread everywhere in those stores, and I still spend more than I intended. I always forgot I need the large 3-pack of ketchup, 2 bottles of wine, batteries, 2 bags of scallops and a pork belly. Ugh....

Comment

Another piece of advice--get the more expensive membership ($110-ish per year?) WITH the Costco Visa card. 2% kickback for anything purchased at Costco, plus kickbacks for anything you buy outside of Costco. We now pay for everything we purchase--groceries, restaurants, travel, hardware, EVERYTHING--with that Visa. We get 6-10 times the cost of the annual Costco membership fee kicked back every year. Now, mind you, the kickback must be spent at Costco, but, hey, that is NOT a problem.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, Troutman !

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah always pay off monthly!

• smokinp
            smokinp commented
            Editing a comment
            Just to add a comment about having to spend the kickback at Costco, I've always just had them cash the rebate check without buying anything (it's the only time each year I walk out of Costco without buying anything or spending any money).

Plus they have really good olive oil at really good prices.

Comment

It's amazing what a consumer driven bunch we are. I don't care if you live in Bangor, Maine, Key West, Florida, San Diego or Seattle, we all flock to the big box retailers and spend, spend, spend. I was hooked on Home Depot when they first got big. Heck I'd walk in the door and a $100 bill would magically jump out of my pocket. I would go there even when I didn't need anything and walk up and down the aisles looking for cool stuff to buy. (Oh the Chinese gotta be laughing right now)

So...what's the takeaway from this.? Well, I've eased my addiction to HD and am trying to slow way down on Costco. I've gotten to where there are things I also hate about Costco, like;
            • Battling with some idiot over a front parking space. I mean that's always been my space why the hell are you trying to park there?
            • Waiting in line for gas and somehow ending up in the slowest line every single time. I feel like its the Arab Oil Embargo from the 70's all over again (that is if you lived through that debacle)
            • Waiting in line a mile long to check out, then waiting in line a mile long to check out again !!!
            • Buying my hot dog on a busy Saturday afternoon and realizing there are NO seats and nowhere to sit and eat.
            • The fact that people come there and bring the whole fam damily. Junior and sis and sis's best friend and momma and grand mama and they have two carts. They get into an aisle and completely block the aisle and won't move. You ask politely if they can get out of the way and they look at you like they own the place.
            • The ladies in those little tables with the snacks and food samples. And they do it on the main aisle so of course everyone has to stop to get a little pill cup with like one half of a whole pretzel in it. And it's always junior and sis and sis's best friend and mama and peepaw and peepaw's cane and of course they block the main aisle munching on their pill size cup with one half of a pretzel in it.
            • Oh yea and when the herd is leaving trying to go out, you have to have at least one bozo with a cart trying to swim upstream to get in going in the out. It's like I wanna throw him to the ground and pummel him on the spot.
            • Oh and then there's the simple fact that instead of buying one 48 oz bottle of catsup you have to buy a four pack of 48 oz catsups. I mean do you know how long it takes to go through 192 ozs. of catsup?
            But hey, will I stop going there? NO. Will I still take advantage of all the great deals? YES. So will I stop bitching now and climb down off my bitch box now? OK.

So who has a magical story to tell about their Costco experiences?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Went Friday after work. Easy peasy. Peepaw and his cane were nowhere to be seen.

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol. 😂😂

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Never, never go on weekends. Always park as far away as I can. Keep your head on a swivel while walking in parking lot.

Willard

I don't know if there is a Fresh Market in or around Leesburg, but they have whole prime brisket on sale (while they last) this week for $6.99. That's more expensive than some here get it for at Costco, but Fresh Market has the advantage of not having a $60 cover charge.

Also, I don't know what Costco you're headed for but I recommend that you call first. The one near me in South Orlando did not have prime brisket, only choice flats when I went on a recon trip (I'm not a member) a year or so ago. And the price for the choice flats was more expensive than Publix.

Comment

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              If you make it up to Jacksonville they have packers there. Or at least they did last summer when Iived there.

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              JoeSousa My wife has some family in Jacksonville. We usually go up once a year. They will all be here Memorial Day weekend. I had family there way back. First concert in Jacksonville. Deep Purple and a little band from Texas called ZZ Top. Heard of ‘em?

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              All Costco's have brisket flats. Finding one with full prime packer is the goal.

3 prime briskets. Or two and tri tip. Forget about poultry, Fisk and pork. Unless it’s pork belly.

Comment

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of love for the pork belly. Guess I’ll have to get familiar.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Costco belly!!!! Always good, and so many ways to cook it!

Grocery stores sales here can compete with Costco on price for choice grade meat. The"for sure" deals for me are prime brisket, tri-tip, pork loin and pork tenderloin. I also like the tomahawks as well.

Comment

Excellent return policy. I bought a Blentec blender there but never really liked it. Returned it 6 months after purchase without a box no questions asked. Swapped it for a Vitamix - so much better.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I can top that. Bought a pop up canopy for farmers market in store. Had it for nearly a year when the wind blew it over and bent a leg, completely my fault. Called manufacturer for replacement leg, said they didn't carry parts. Costco said bring it back, gave me a full refund. Replaced with a name brand canopy that carried parts from Costco online.

• Chief1232
                Chief1232 commented
                Editing a comment
                My dad returned a 9 year old hot tub to Costco because it started leaking and it had a 10 year warranty. Best part is the kid told him he couldn't return it. After speaking with the manager they said of course we will. Then my dad reminded them he paid for delivery as well. They sent the kid who told him no out to pick it up. lol.

Theyve been Costco members since it opened in 1983

Well I won’t be making it to Costco this weekend. Maybe next. Too beautiful of a morning here in Central Florida to waste anywhere but home. Steaks are ready for the grill tonight.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 fellow Central Floridian. After yesterday's nasty line of storms, today is truly gorgeous. The only work planned for today is coloring up a batch of eggs for tomorrow, and getting the rotisserie mounted on the kettle for grilling picanha for me and my daughter.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here