Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wright brand bacon at Sam's Club: WOW.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always loved the kind of bacon my wife buys, never paid much attention to what it actually was though.

Last week we went camping and I made breakfast the first morning and she made it the second morning. She made bacon, I was busy and wasn't watching. As I was eating the bacon I thought, "man this stuff is excellent for storebought, I need to find that "Wright's Bacon" thread of Mosca's and tell everyone about whatever THIS bacon is." So I asked her, and she said "Wright's I think". Lol. Sure enough, i checked the trash bag and there was a Wright's package.

Wright's bacon FTW!

Comment

Mosca Have you ever noticed Wright's to occasionally be too salty? We love it, but this last trip we got the big twin pack, I wanna say 4lbers, from Sam's and it's was awfully salty. Disappointed, but quite out of the ordinary for them. I'm wondering if we got an anomaly or if something has changed.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Haven’t noticed, it was probably an anomaly. I’d bet that if you wrote to Wright’s customer service they’d do something, my reasoning being that any company that produces a quality product takes customer satisfaction seriously.

I will have to try to find this in my area. Not sure if they have it here. I am not a member of Sam's, but I know a few who are so I might able to have some pick some up for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        In my area, all the groceries carry it as well as Wally World, (WW has the best price).

Because of this post, and it's been a handful of months now, this is the only brand I buy. While late,

THANKS

Comment

I tried it and liked it, but I honestly prefer Smithfield.

Comment

The best bacon i have ever had is from http://www.robertsonsham-willspoint.com/smoked-bacon/
          Purchase a ton of it every time we pass by, which is quit often. I DO like the Wrights peppered bacon, and Fresh bt Brookshires had good hous bacon in the butcher shop, but most American bacon in grocerystores nowadays it flavored with liquid smoke and wet cured. While Wrights is truly smoked, it is still wet cured. Hard to find dry cured rel smike bacon nowadays.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            BTW, if you happen to be in the greater Wills Point area you might sample the fried chicken at Brookshire's in Grand Saline.

Benton's in TN makes some outstanding bacon. It's pricey but to me well worth the cost a couple times a year. Dry aged and heavily smoked. I don't get up that way much anymore so I have it shipped. Shipping is slow. It's an old school business but they do have a web page and take phone orders.
          Benton's has honed the dry-curing of hams and bacon into a culinary art and have catapulted the products from a simple breakfast mainstay into the world of gourmet cooking.

Comment

The secrets on Wright's is being found out I've been buying it on and off for a number of years.
            I get some bacon bulk through the food service company that's pretty darn good I think it's called Western Select. Comes packed in 2/7.5lb bags and I have to separate and vacuum seal and freeze in portions I want.
            I've only done this twice as it's kind of a hassle but economical. I think it comes in at just a shade over $3 a lb. When I'm out of this and don't feel like doing the food service thing I'll buy Wrights.

Comment

For grocery store bacon I have always liked the Smithfield thick cut a bit more than Wright Brand. It has been a while since I have had either so I can't really remember why I like the Smithfield better but there was a difference. Since I started making my own bacon I haven't really bought much from the store.

My favorite commercial bacon was one I got from Costco. No idea what brand it is and it isn't one of the big national names (Smithfield, Fletchers, Armour, etc.) but it is some thick cut apple smoked bacon. Very, very good.

Comment

Smithfield thick cut is a good bacon to buy if something better is not around. I like the Wright's, but if I don't see that, or if the Smithfield thick cut is there and cheaper, I'll get that.

My local Sam's quit carrying pork belly, so its been a while since I made my own bacon. Costco still carries it, but I don't get up that way very often. Doesn't help that the wife does not like my home cured bacon (she doesn't think its crispy enough). The kids do, but 2 of the 3 are now moved out. I'll make some again at some point, but don't want to fight with the wife over which bacon I am frying up.

Comment

I love you more than bacon, wright's and Smithfield two thumbs up. I cooked a couple lb's of wright's on my pellet pooper this summer for BLT's using a couple cooling racks', ohh ya!

Comment

asked my wife if she had ever bought any wrights bacon yesterday, when i got home there was a 3lb pack in the fridge. anyone store bacon after cooking? she was ready for me to cook it last night.

Comment

I order my bacon from Mom Wilson's in Delaware, OH. Delicious stuff but the shipping is a killer. When I don't have any of Mom Wilson's hickory smoked bacon left, I always buy Wright's. No other storebought bacon that I've found tastes as good. It's the #1 bacon recommendation at Cooks Illustrated too.

To me, the hickory smoked (or double smoked) variety is the best. Applewood smoked bacon is too mild for our family's tastes.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here