Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you brew your coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you brew your coffee?

The topic on roasting coffee beans came back up today and got me thinking, (second time this year I have had to think - it didn't hurt too much... ), about brewing coffee. I use an Aeropress to make coffee at home. It makes the best coffee I have had. I don't like bitter coffee and the Aeropress consistently produces non bitter coffee.

One of the nice things about it is that you don't have a pot of coffee on the burner burning. You just have a pot of hot water on the burner so you can brew a fresh cup quickly every time you want one.

So how do you brew your coffee?

Mr Coffee 😊

Comment

• SlushDeezey
      SlushDeezey commented
      Editing a comment
      Bought a Mr. Coffee french press the other day. WAY better than those KCups but I don't care for the cleaning of it.

About half the time I just leave it to the pros at an awesome local specialty coffee shop, Vibe Coffee in Elizabethtown. I also buy their coffee beans by the bag and brew my own, especially on the weekends. My 10 year old son runs the Mr. Coffee machine like a champ and enjoys doing it. So I guess the short answer is that I usually don't actually brew coffee much anymore!

Comment

Rancilio ... Rocky grinder and Silvia espresso maker.

Comment

I'm an OJ person, I bet I don't drink over 50 cups of coffee a year. Now the wife, that's a different story.

Comment

I make cowboy coffee, simple, not bitter. I also like it black with no junk in it. My wife has the flavored creamer.
          I also like to make Turkish coffee, which is basically the same process, except a finer grind with some sugar. I make it in an Ibrik, the original mr. coffee circa 1550 AD.

Comment

Some Keurig or something another urinates with obvious nephritis and cystitis into a BIG CUP, I mix in some sugar, top it off with milk.

Comment

I'm a fan of the K-cups "Barista Prima" brand French Roast, it's my poison of choice. Them suckers are strong, best I've found and I think I may have tried nearly all of the strong ones (and there are some great ones out there). My wife prefers the slightly not-as-strong Italian Roast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BPfr.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	234420

I have a French Press too and while we do like it, it's not as nice as these Kcups in my wife & I's opinion. Of course, it's a different coffee too so it will never be the same.

Comment

Percolator on the stove. Make it the night before, and reheat in the am. Hardcore.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You use paper tower for a filter? That is all my mom used growing up.

• Shane Rakow
                  Shane Rakow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is this filter you mention? My old percolator is a 2 piece number..

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Re: paper towel filtration device (PTFD) :-) Have done, in a pinch, in the' backup to my backup', th' Mr.Coffee. works jus' fine!
                  Excerpt: Murphy's law of Combat:
                  "If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid."

Originally posted by Shane Rakow View Post
                Percolator on the stove. Make it the night before, and reheat in the am. Hardcore.
                Yup. Percolator.
                1960's Corningware 10-cup. Electric.
                No filter.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2445.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	234439
                Sakura Warren Kimble "Colonial" coffee cup. Given me by my Ma', 4th of July, commemorating my return from th' KTO.
                Washington Forge 'Mardis Gras' Cobalt / Navy spoon, fer stirrin' in th' Bailley's, etc.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 29, 2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Holy moly that thing looks like it might have asbestos for insulation.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jerod Broussard , it might well have, but I've
                  never noticed lol! I just stir the ACM in with th' grounds... It was my Ma's perc; have my Gma's '50's Corningware equiv as a backup...
                  Can't imagine the millions of cups these two have made!

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The great thing about that perc is it gets it good & hot!

In order of preference:
                1. Saeco Vienna Plus, automatic espresso
                2. French press
                3. Kuerig with reusable k-cup that I can use my coffee

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you supposed to get a large amount of granules with French press? A veterinarian supervisor I had years ago was bragging about his French press and gave me some to try, and it looked like I had eaten a handful full of black pepper.

• Zman23
                  Zman23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You do get some grinds in French press coffee, especially the last cup poured. There is a fine mesh screen that is supposed to hold back the grinds but some do get through. Shouldn't be too extreme though.

I think Mr. Bones stole My Corning Ware Purculator? Normal Procedure is 2 Scoops of Folders "Gourmet Supreme" in the Bunn Filter on the Counter, Pour in 10 Cups of Cold Water, rinse out My Cleanest Dirty Cup and Pour A Cup of Steaming Hot Coffee! 3 Min's Max, Nothing Fancy or Hoighty Toighty for this old Plowboy! It A'int Church Lady Coffee but I don't have to break an egg either?
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I have an electric kettle for boiling the water, then a bodum coffee press. Just add the fresh ground coffee and water and 3 min later good to go

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty much the same here. Tip to all: try lighter roasts for less bitterness (though they have more caffeine).

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like it, the simpler the better!

Two ways:

1) I start my day with French Press
                  2) 1-2 espressos or lattes using my PID'd Gaggia Classic with Orphan Espresso Pharos grinder.

Comment

I roast my own coffee, and 9 times out of ten I'll brew it in a Moka Pot. My wife doesn't like coffee, so I don't really need to brew 10-12 cups at a time. I sometimes use an Aeropress (way better than a french press as long as you use a metal filter).

Nice thing about the pot is that you get a near-espresso, and if you want coffee, you just add an equal amount of hot water. Or, pour straight from the pot into a mug full of ice and instant iced coffee at the perfect ratio.

<yoda voice>Milk? sugar? A coffee drinker uses not these things.</yoda voice>

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here