Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PotKettleBlack's Favorite Pork Chops On Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PotKettleBlack's Favorite Pork Chops On Sale

If the Five S's are the process to perfect pork chops, and I were required to rank them, Selection, the first S would be the most important. I have a preferred selection of pork chops, being porterhouse style heritage breed chops that go about 14 oz a piece. Sure, my pork chop method works on thick grocery chops, but to make the perfect pork chop, I go for the perfect pork (that I can get... if I could get some Tokyo X porterhouse chops, I'd be all over that... but you can't get Tokyo X in the US).

I get them from HeritageFoodsUSA.com, in the "Recession Special" pack (you can tell how long I've been getting these... since the recession). I always wait for the two annual sales on these, one at the start of summer and one for Labor Day. The Labor Day sale is live...

Six pack: https://store.heritagefoodsusa.com/p...eller-p79.aspx

Fourteen pack: https://store.heritagefoodsusa.com/p...cial-p854.aspx

I get a fourteen. With summer shipping included, brings my per chop cost down to a bit over $10. I didn't say these were cheap. I said they were excellent.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Heritage Foods, aside from being a long term customer. I have no marketing interest. You can read my reviews of the chickens I got from them in the Failure thread. I have never gotten beef from them due to (what I consider) insane costs. But the pork... man, the pork...

Got a preference between the Berkshire and Red Wattle? We used to buy a pig every year, and have had the Berkshire - very nice.

Comment

Honestly, I take whatever they send. They're both excellent. Berkshire has a nicer creamier fat and a bit more umami funk. Red wattle has a slightly beefy flavor, bit floral. Maybe I have a mild preference for Berkshire, if only for sous vide.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Thanks for the link, Potkettleblack ! Couple of questions: How thick are the chopson average and how are they packaged(singles, doubles, one big bag)?

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	216336 Packaged in pairs. Averaging an inch and a half thick.

Shown edge on with my Thermapen in its sheath for scale.

Click image for larger version

Views:	112
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	216335 Click image for larger version

Views:	152
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	216337

Comment

How long does the sale usually last? Can I wait until next week when the $25 summer surcharge goes away?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I have never had the patience to wait on them. They have good customer service if you call, though.

OMG, those look incredible! Have you tried Breadhead's recommendation:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/...pork-chop.html

I've made this a couple of times and absolutely love this recipe.

PS I'd never heard of Porterhouse Pork Chops. It's not the first time you've clued me in on different cuts - keep it coming!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            While I had a great meal at Mustard's Grill, I am actually kind of a supertaster when it comes to mustard, where I could probably handle the powder in that recipe, a tsp of dijon is a non-starter. The original Cindy P recipe linked looks better for me.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I think my pork glaze (1:1:dash maple:sherry vinegar:tabasco) would work on that marinade though.

• billg71
            billg71 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd never heard them called Porterhouse Chops before but that's the cut I always get at the local butcher. That little section of tenderloin has always been my favorite part of the chop, I usually save it for dessert.

Thanks for the pics, Potkettleblack. I'd already ordered a 14-pack and, for good measure, added one of their briskets. Big box arrived today, everything looks great. If I can get the brisket thawed I'll cook it Sunday.

I'm not a big fan of frozen meat but I'm looking forward to trying this.

Thanks again,
          Bill

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I got Red Wattle? Same?

• billg71
            billg71 commented
            Editing a comment
            Red wattle, yes.

Enjoy. My 14 pack got here today.

Comment

Potkettleblack, I cooked the brisket Sunday and it was fantastic! I thawed a couple of the chops and reverse-seared them Monday evening and they were the best chops I've ever tasted, even considering the Ossabaw Island chops I got from a local farmer a few years ago.

Thank you for turning me on to this, I just placed an order for another brisket and a ham. If this keeps up I'm going to have to find a recycler that'll take these styrofoam shipping boxes, they're starting to pile up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here