Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Your Costco Still Have Prime Grade Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at Costco today. Almost zero prime grade beef. Exactly two whole prime briskets, (none other) six ribeyes, and three tenderloins. That’s it. All other beef was choice grade and not much of that either.

They did have all the chicken you could desire, lots of salmon, limited pork products. Not a good day overall for meat shoppers today. 🤷‍♂️🤔

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m gonna check mine out next week and see what their supply looks like. Thanks for the reminder.

I was there the other day for the first time since December maybe. The prime selection for steaks was slimmer than usual but there were plenty of prime briskets for $3.99/lb, almost back to the old norm of $3.79.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      haha! You have me laughing! Get the two pack. Use one for the wok. I usually cut mine into three pieces and then cut against the grain thin so a fast sear in the wok cooks them pretty quick. Then, whatever veg and noodle you choose from the recipes in that great new book of yours but that flank is always in my freezer - wok, tacos….it’s so versatile and good!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Old norm at Costco here for brisket was $2.99 before 2020. I'll be shocked if I ever see that again.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly good thinking! I've not given my wok any love lately. That said, I've sliced the flank up thin like you suggest and done it on the flat top outside with great results.

I am going to find out today. Heading in there to grab two briskets for a cook tomorrow. Can't wait!

Comment

I haven't been to Costco in awhile; last time I went it was so crowded I just left. I'll be in this weekend though and I'll take a look. But Costco John? What about the famed, sainted, world famous HEB?????

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        As much as I love H‑E‑B, they’re more expensive on meat compared to Costco, and Costco usually has larger cuts compared to the smaller grocery store steaks…and grocery store steaks are not as thick…..Grocery store steaks can’t compare to Costco’s IMO.

I just came back from Costco. I didn't go through all of the meat aisles but I did see Prime brisket for $3.99/lb. I almost bought one.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        People are saying they’re now $3.49 lb.

Costco brisket available here Click image for larger version  Name:	20230303_174129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1386478
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230303_174134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	1386477

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Man you are one fortunate feller.

Checked this passed weekend. All Choice cept cpl Prime filet @ $26.99 lb. Salmon now $13.99 lb.

Comment

As of last week they had prime brisket and prime rib eye in Danvers, MA. They used (pre-COVID) to have more but it does seem to be returning.

Comment

Costco in Central PA still has some prime beef, but not a much as usual. Costco prime briskets are usually good but I don't like buying prime steaks at Costco, because they blade tenderize them. Why would you take a beautifully marbled steak and jacquard it?

Comment

• NCARalph
            NCARalph commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy whole prime rib eye roasts in cryovac then cut them into steaks and a couple of roasts and freeze them. We like thick steaks and this way I can cut them to whatever thickness I want. It's also generally a bit cheaper per pound.
            It's well worth looking over the roasts very carefully to choose the ones with the right amount of fat. Some have way too much that needs to be trimmed off.

Well it looks like it might be a while before things are back to normal with their Prime beef supply. Several of you have reported limited supplies of Prime steaks. Well I went today and the only Prime steaks they had was ribeyes. The butcher said they did have some other Prime cuts recently but they were out right now. That’s ok with me I guess, their choice cuts are usually what I buy anyway, I save the Prime for a special occasion. As usual they did have Prime briskets. I’m totally fine with choice steaks from Costco, they’re still better than what’s available at most of the grocery stores.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EDF66E22-E1A0-452E-97C3-7CB2B0EBCF58.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	1388200
          Picked me up some flap steak for fajitas one day, or whatever.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7E666F87-BBBC-41BA-A08E-314646618B62.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	1388199

Click image for larger version  Name:	02875CBD-818D-4D37-924F-A494DF204E1A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.99 MB ID:	1388198

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Man Finster I went in looking for outside skirt steak, didn’t find any and a butcher said this was outside skirt. I took his word for it, got home and googled flap steak. Found out it’s not outside skirt but similar. I’ll take y’all’s advice and do some as a steak first. It’s a lot so I’ll be able to make 2 or 3 cooks out of it. I’d heard of flap steak, but never had any. Can’t wait to try it, thanks.

• nikolausp
            nikolausp commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy outside Skirt Steak at Creekstone. Good stuff.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            nikolausp And they're currently on sale at creekstone!

FWIW, the #1 rated BBQ joint in Texas right now (Goldee's BBQ), uses Choice grade briskets.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe it. Snow’s BBQ was the previous Texas Monthly #1 and uses select. Just goes to show what you can do with a brisket if you know what you’re doing.

• nikolausp
            nikolausp commented
            Editing a comment
            True, but there's absolutely a reason that Brisket is not Snow's signature 'must have' meat to order like it is at Goldee's.

I think Snow's was last named #1 in 2008 (15 years ago)

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Texas Monthly does the Top 50 every 5 years now, [previously it was every 4 years] and Snow’s was #1 in the last issue done previously, June 2017. Snow’s is now #9 in the current Top 50 done, last year. According to the issues I have, Snow’s was named #1 in 2008 and 2017, and in 2013 they were #2. I’ve had Snow’s brisket once, and it is very good!
            Last edited by Panhead John; March 8, 2023, 01:57 PM.

Yep, it was $3.99/lb last week when I was in there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here