Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Foods Chef Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Foods Chef Store

Hoping I am posting this in the right place. Huskee please move if needed.

We have a US Foods Chef Store opening in our area. https://www.chefstore.com/ Anyone have any experience with this chain?

Looking at the site it has potential for sure.

The website suggests it's primarily a West Coast joint. Oh look! They have pellets!

We'll assume it's similar to Restaurant Depot?

Comment

it's good place for restaurant level foodstuffs. They (or at least the ones here) stock food manufacturers that sell primarily to the restaurant trade which is both good and bad.

Bad, in that you're not going to find high end meats etc there.(you WILL find meats, but they're mostly Tyson and other large vendors). Good, in that you can get things that a middle of the pack restaurant would use in quantity - things like Sweet Baby Rays in gallon containers, etc. They also carry Cambo containers, cleaners and other things you'd use in a restaurant that can be nice to stock up on. For example, during the pandemic I grabbed a 96 ounce jug of Dawn, garbage bags, big containers of olive oil.

I like some of the canned tomato products too, but they come in huge, 6lb cans. Not great if you need a single 15oz can of tomatoes for something but awesome if you want to make a huge batch of red sauce to portion out and freeze. Finally, look at the frozen foods section. They stock things like frozen soups that can be quite good. The ones here stock the various chowders made by a local seafood chain, Ivar's.

Bottom line: well worth a walkthrough as long as you know what they are. Mostly good for non-perishables that you want to buy in quantity.
      Last edited by rickgregory; February 3, 2022, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Good prices on large chunks of meat.
        Restaurant bulk type items.
        Spare ribs usually less than $2 pound.

Comment

Their pork (ribs, butts, etc.) is usually a pretty good price. They beef is usually more expensive than Costco and I can't remember seeing anything higher than Choice grade there.

Comment

Yep! Sometimes they have better prices than most other grocery stores around my area (including Winco). I typically will get their pork butt when on sale (around $1.59/lb) and smoke all 20lbs of it at once. Pull and freeze and you'll have delicious pulled pork on the ready!

I also get tri tip from there as well. Most of all of their beef is choice grade so the tri tips aren't the best I've had but they are still really good!

All in all, a solid place to get meat if you want a larger load of meat.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Comment

Looks like I have one 5 miles away. There's a collection of restaurant supply stores in that area. I've been to another one next door but not US Foods Chef Store. I went to one at the beginning of the pandemic that usually isn't open to the general public but was hurting with the restaurant closures. It was pretty sweet.

Comment

Appears to be 3 in the Chicago area, assuming they retail.

Comment

FYI, the ones here are open to the retail public. No membership etc. I assume the whole chain is like that unless there's a state law or something...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here