Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much! It makes me feel much better about the Costco steaks!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the write up. Incredibly informative and very interesting that they would give an average Joe such a grand behind the scenes look.
        I wondered the same thing on how they could be doing such a controversial and potentially dangerous procedure to their steaks and no one gets sick, myself included, especially given how many they sell a day/month/year! I buy them all the time even though I overcook my fair share, which they probably depend on as do the lawyers.
        So they figured it out on how to spray the meat with sanitizer and sell it without any off putting taste. I’d like to think that this is where the rabbit hole ends with ALL the food I eat but I’m not that ignorant.

Comment

BBQPhil, thanks for doing this and the follow up report. I have avoided Costco’s tenderized meat after becoming aware of the process. Looks like time for some reevaluation.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. One of the things I've learned is a that a discussion forum such as this one that enforces respectful and polite interaction, plays a big role in finding factual information. Imagine the different results from those forums with anonymous posters filled with bots and misinformation.

Comment

BBQPhil I found your report very interesting and well written, For the most part I will stick with buying the primal cuts as they are substantially less expensive than the pre cut but nice to know there really is no more risk to the tenderized steaks should I want to purchase occasionally. That tenderizer is quite the machine and now I know why I can not see the puncture marks in the steaks I'm not looking in the right place!

Comment

Thanks for your efforts in this matter BBQPhil. Nice write up!
                And thanks to Costco for arranging such a visit. I've been a Costco member for decades and they are one of my favorite companies to support as they take care of the customers AND their employees.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 Me, not decades, but +1 anyway.

Thank you very much BBQPhil, that was a great write up. I really appreciate the time you took to do that, and consider the questions we all have about that process. I also add my thanks to Costco for doing that, because they certainly didn't have to, and it sounds like they treated you very well. I really respect Costco as a company, and have been a member for about 25 years now.

This (and a few other reasons ) are why my subscription here is worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQPhil View Post
                Thanks for all the comments. One of the things I've learned is a that a discussion forum such as this one that enforces respectful and polite interaction, plays a big role in finding factual information. Imagine the different results from those forums with anonymous posters filled with bots and misinformation.
                Well said, BBQPhil . And thank you as well for the enlightening read on how Costco believes that their meat tenderization is not only food safe but also in compliance with Beef Best Practices documents. Thank you for providing those interesting links.

Could there be some risk of getting a cut with ecoli with their methods? Never say never, is what Costo seems to think; hence their cooking recommendations.

But for us, standing and staring at the Costo meat case, wanting to take that beef home and cook it up rare to medium rare, your writeup brings a comfortable measure of acceptance of their blade tenderization. Thank you.

Kathryn

Comment

BBQPhil Thanks for the report. Interesting to read, although I have never been a Costco member for the simple reason they have never had an outlet within a hundred miles of where I lived. So I'll just continue to buy beef grown by guys I know, in pastures I drive by.

Comment

That's a better option and one I don't have here.

Comment

Well, I somehow lost track of this thread before you posted the info from your tour. Thanks a bunch for doing this and thanks for the informative write up.

I still believe that it's the lawyers who recommend 160° and I find it a bit ironic that the VP and others ignore their own advice. BUT I guess it's a bit comforting that they have enough confidence in their process to ignore their own advice.

I think I will ask if I can buy a hunk still in the cryovac before they have a chance to stick it.

Comment

I know we’ve hashed over blade tenderizing several times before, but I’ll eat Costco steaks all day long. They’re also not the only ones who blade tenderize their steaks, Wild Fork Foods does too.
                      Last edited by Panhead John; June 29, 2022, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                        Jfrosty27 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That makes two of us John.

• Panhead John
                        Panhead John commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Y’all have seen my steaks here before, they never even approach 160*, and I’m still…stil….her,. aaaaagh!

• Draznnl
                        Draznnl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s sad that Panhead John ‘s post was interrupted, but it seems his past has caught up with him and is demanding retribution. Stay tuned for further developments.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here