Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price of brisket increase at Sam’s club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, finally got some brisket and crap, Selects only $0.22 cheaper than Angus Choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1621826603369-930191032.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1035433

Comment

you guy's made me hurry to make a Sam's run, Woof, could not do it - prime brisket was $85.00 $4.84 per. Baby backs were $3.98, Ribeye's were $12.98, 90% ground beef was $3.68, pork butt's $1.79 only thing I picked up were some marked down, beef tenderloin. 4 in a package for $40.00 A little age is good for me.
      I did find a local store had Butt's for $.99 a lb. bought there last 3.

Comment

It sucks but welcome to Canadian pricing. Retailers up here stopped being customer oriented to profit oriented years ago.
        Beef has been double/triple the cost up here for years so much so I just don’t buy red meat anymore.
        Chicken and pork have started more than doubling.
        It seems everyone is following big oil company marketing, creat artificial shortages do you can gouge the consumer.
        My cousin still farms and dabbles in beef cattle, last time he sent cattle to market transportation cost ate most of the what the cattle sold for. It was a sin.
        Profit, profit, profit.

Comment

I have followed and traded commodities for the past 30 years or more. Here are today's closing prices.

per bushel
          Corn $6.57
          a hundredweight
          Live Cattle $120.100s
          Feeder Cattle $154.125s
          Pork Cutout $123.325s
          Corn normally 3.50 to 4 this time of year ,feeders are normally around 110 per hundredweight and pork less than 50 per hundredweight. As you can see pork is 3 times the normal price, corn double and cattle up 25 to 50 percent of normal. It's going to get ugly

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            thoughts on why? Are people making up fro 2020, is it their inputs, else?

• Deeremaxx
            Deeremaxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Look at the packer margins!!!! It's not the price of corn, btw, cows have to eat and there is dry conditions in the normal plains, cattle getting sold too packers early. Ranchers are getting left behind and we are gonna be buying whatever the big packers want to charge! Box beef vs the dressed carcass weight prices are way outta wack.
            Deeremaxx

@ leol2 Thanks for telling the normal price, as most of us do not know. Like rick, what up with all this? Is it going to stay this high?

Comment

I got a feeling this is going to hit small town local butcher shops hard. Hopefully they can make up for it on custom processing.

Comment

I believe that this is the start of major inflation hitting us hard in the pocketbook. I look for groceries to continue going higher in the foreseeable future. The drought in the West and Southwest play into this however bad policy and power hungry politicians has brought on this inflation. Cattle and pork rose again yesterday. We are at scary levels.
              Consumer index of future buying [ 6 months out] shows that new home sales will decline 5%. and major appliance sales down a whopping 42%. This is a very bad sign for the economy and a sign of higher prices to come.

Comment

• randy56
                randy56 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the insight.

Originally posted by leol2 View Post
              I believe that this is the start of major inflation hitting us hard in the pocketbook. I look for groceries to continue going higher in the foreseeable future. The drought in the West and Southwest play into this
              The drought is nothing new, though. Been going for years.

however bad policy and power hungry politicians has brought on this inflation.
              We likely can't talk about this without politics which the Pit doesnt do, but that feels like a catchall excuse.
              Consumer index of future buying [ 6 months out] shows that new home sales will decline 5%.
              (watches home prices skyrocket...)

I think the situation is kind of unprecedented. We're coming out of a year+ pandemic that suppressed economic activity and likely pushed demand out in time. How much of this is simply the return of that demand and other activity that has been held back by the 2020 lockdowns?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Not really. We printed a ton of money. We substituted real economic growth with money printing.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                But that will work out of the system reasonably quickly. it's not like a couple of $1400 payments are going to drastically alter most peoples' spending long term.

I'd love to read close analysis of how much demand was pushed a year vs the money supply issue, etc.

• jpietrantone
                jpietrantone commented
                Editing a comment
                Not to be political, but the $1,400 payments were a very small part of the entire stimulus package. It's the rest of the spending that's causing the inflation issues/fears.

Wisco$nsin River Meats sells halves and quarters of beef and pork. Price has not changed since last summer. $3.19 /lb hanging weight for beef and $1.99 for whole or half hogs. Great freezer meat.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Wish I was closer, I'd try 'em... Loves me some either...

Fortunately, some right dang danged Good Butchers, alla round me, in DeSoto, Lecompton, Tonganoxie, usedta be one in Eudora, but that shite th danged ol bed,quite some many years, gone by, now... few here in LFK,

Winter update:

I checked my Sam's just a couple hrs ago and Choice packers are $4.98/lb and Prime $5.48/lb. Lone flats are quite a bit more, don't remember the exact. This has been pretty stable the last few months. Not terrible but they've been better.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I saw similar pricing down here in Alabama when I went to Sam's yesterday evening. I've not bought a brisket since I got two large packers for $1.99 a pound at Kroger back in June. Still hanging onto one in the deep freeze...

I think the prime briskets at Costco last week were just under $5 a pound as well.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Prime 1 briskets last weekend at HEB were selling for $4.99/pound. They are the equivalent to Costco Primes. Funny how brisket is inching downward and all other special cuts of beef are going upward. I also noticed that HEB was selling prepackaged corned beef from Snake River Farms for $9.99/pound. I always corn my own but the stuff sure looked good, I was duly tempted but held my ground

I bought this one at my local Sam's Club yesterday. I didn't see any prime briskets at all, but this one had a nice bend, so I went with it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here