Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt source in Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richie
    replied
    You may want to check Von Hanson's in Chandler. I've purchased meat there and they seem educated on your choices.
    Von Hanson's celebrating 33 years of the best meats, deli and bakery. 23 Minnesota Locations. The Friendly Old Fashion Meat Market. More Then Just a Butcher

Leave a comment:

• Smoke em if you got em
    replied
    I’ve had good luck getting them at Smart and Final.

Leave a comment:

• JamesT
    replied
    Costo butts were excellent quality but boneless (we have a deserving pooch). What's a man to do?
    Fry's butts good quality but inconsistent supply.
    Smart n Final - Just scored 2 butts each over 20 lbs. @ 2.49/lb with 10% off for vets on Veterans' Day. Will cook later - brining now. Inconsistent meat quality - usually acceptable or better. Chickens also good for smoking, grilling.
    Food City - sketchy quality, but clean and usually good with some waste. Sketchy selection. I avoid their fish.
    I never see 'Prime' quality in the usual markets. 'Way out of my price range anyway.
    Back "In the day" my food budget was $1.00 per day, not counting 1 day eating out. Dates excepted. A pot of beans lasted a week. Those were the days, and yes I did have steak in the menu. It's more fun cooking for 2 or more. Especially for my angel.

Leave a comment:

• tommydatoe
    replied
    Shamrock foods just opened a restuarant supply style store on the NE corner of I-17 and Indian school. I recently purchased a package of 2 bone in pork butts for .69 a lb. they where frozen at time of purchase, thawed and put on my traeger grill low and slow, they were outstanding! BTW they are open to the public.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Meat Cuts Hobe Meats carries the best selection of Prime Meats in the valley. Here is a breakdown of our most popular cuts of meat: Beef Cuts Boneless New York Strips Filet Mignon/Beef Tenderloin Bone-In/Bnls Ribeye Top Sirloin Petite Sirloin Tri-Tip Hanger Steak T-Bone/Porterhouse Eye Of Round Roast

Here's a couple thanks to Dr. Google.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 5, 2015, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• r40734
    replied
    Fry's, Sam's Club, Costco... they're all ok. For the real deal, make a phone call to The Pork Shop and take the drive out there; they're worth it. They only serve pork, after all. If you don't want to take the drive all the way out there, Sprout's will custom cut for you. I really like the baby back ribs with the loin attached, and Sprout's will oblige every time.

Leave a comment:

• Orange606
    replied
    I guess I will have to answer the question myself, I am going to check out a few places this weekend and see what I find.

Leave a comment:

• Rodcrafter
    commented on 's reply
    I would say cook all three, then pull it and vac seal and freeze the part you don't need right away. It will thaw and be ready to eat very quickly in the future and very few if any will know it was ever frozen.
    jm2cw

• Orange606
    replied
    I am not a member of Sam's Club and I agree the Costco supply is consistent, and I have used their butts for sausage, but rarely need three at one time. I would like to avoid freezing.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    There is usually 8 butts to a case

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    I've bought all my butts as Sam's - packages of 2 typically $1.98/lb. Maybe I should get a case...how many are in a case usually Dewesq55? Any tips on thawing in the refrigerator?

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Agree with DWC about Sam's today (in NEPA) they were $1.68/lb case price.

DEW

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Costco or Sam's club is your best bet. Sam's club their butts come in two packs. You can always freeze the extras and cook a later date.

Leave a comment:

• Orange606
    started a topic Pork Butt source in Phoenix

Pork Butt source in Phoenix

I have not had much luck finding a consistent supply of quality pork butts and I am interested to know if anyone has a good source. I have used the following with the issues noted:

Food City: The quality of the meat does not seem great, pale in color, and inconsistent butchering
    Frys: Injected meat
    Sprouts: Inconsistent butchering, generally only have small boneless sections
    Lee Lee market: They had great full size bone in butts, but stocking was not consistent
    Whole Foods: Expensive
    Pork Shop: Great meat, but 1 hour + drive for me.
    Costco: Good boneless butts, but you have to buy three
    Meat shop: I have not tried their butts, and the pork I have tried was good, but they are expensive and I have experienced inconsistent butchering.
    Last edited by Orange606; March 2, 2015, 01:04 PM. Reason: Add Meat Shop

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here