Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Prime Black Angus Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Prime Black Angus Brisket

I live in Phoenix, AZ and am trying to source Prime Black Angus Brisket. Does anybody have any ideas aside from paying an arm and a leg at a local butcher? I would also like ideas on how to source the best possible ribs. I am tired of the commodity ribs found at the grocery store. Thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think you'll find it. Angus beef is kind of a grade unto itself, it has to be from a black hide cow and be at minimum Choice to earn the Angus label. I might be wrong but I don't think there's a grading system for Angus beef.....other than saying it's Angus.

Comment

Hi Larry. If you're against the selection at local supermarkets, the prices of local butchers, then I'm thinking you're likely against the prices of online boutique retailers too? If not, try Snake River Farms for starters, their Wagyu briskets are a cross between Wagyu and Angus....but they are some serious cash (read: crazy silly expensive)....by comparison I think you'll like the local butcher's price much better.

I am moving this thread to Know a Good Butcher > Arizona that way if anyone happens to browse this channel and can help you then you're more likely to receive an answer specific to your area.

Comment

Is there a Restaurant Depot in your area? They sell Certified Angus beef(including brisket) but I don't think CAB gets USDA grading, it's a private-label thing.

Your best bet is to buy local pasture-raised, do some research. And get used to missing that arm and leg.

Comment

BBQ Competition Meat Supplier: BBQ Meats, Wagyu Beef Brisket, Kosher Meats, Duroc Pork, Berkshire pork, Hatfield Pork Meats, as well as Japanese Kobe Beef on Sale today. Huntspoint.com

Comment

Thanks for ask the input.....i will give some of these a shot. I don't mind spending money for home use but i am starting a commercial venture and need consistent high quality beef.

Comment

PaulstheRibList show him some of those beautiful pics of the 1855 briskets
              Last edited by DWCowles; July 17, 2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                PaulstheRibList show him some of those beautiful pics of the 1855 briskets
                Ask and You shall receive, DWCowles !

I've been happy with the 1855Beef.com briskets we've been cooking. Consistent, marbled, and they are typically wet-aged about a month when I get them. I buy from a local restaurant supply company. Cost is about $3.68 a pound at the moment. It's made getting quality briskets super-easy!

1855 is black angus, and it's on the Upper-end of choice, or higher. Obviously, the super marbled one pictured below would be prime, in my view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275-180.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	196781

Name:	IMG_3290.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	196785

This is the most marbled brisket I have ever seen!

Name:	IMG_3307.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	196782

Name:	IMG_3319.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	196780

Name:	IMG_3321.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	196784

Name:	IMG_3325-180.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	196783

Name:	IMG_3342.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	196786

Name:	IMG_3351.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	196787

This was a 10 brisket cook, and I'm not sure which one was that really marbled one. All were good!

Comment

Thanks for the 1855beef tip. I found a distributer that will get me prime angus 1855beef brisket at a reasonable price.

Comment

costco also sells prime at $2.99/lb in los angeles, not sure if they do in phoenix too? you can ask the meat department manager

Comment

I've only used them once, but liked both briskets I got. Tried both a Meyer Natural Angus Prime and an Imperial Wagyu Signature grade.

Mister Brisket is a premium quality butcher shop specializing in custom cuts of USDA Prime and Wagyu Beef as well as a variety of prepared foods and deli sandwiches. We offer both local delivery and shipment across the country.

Have to email or call to order for something that is shipped, but they were very helpful. Dealt with Hank, I think he is Mr. Brisket's son in law who also works there.

Comment

I was just going to say Costco .... I buy darn near all my meat at Costco. Thing is, the meat buyer who set up their sources for brisket, pork butt and pork ribs is a friend of mine. He's also a BBQ fanatic as well, so made sure he was bringing in meat that was going to be great for us AmazingRibs types. He has personally visited their suppliers, has specific requirements that they have to meet, etc. Their spare ribs and back ribs in the cryovac are outstanding. Their pork butts are solid and have had the bone removed (cooks faster, easier to deal with when you pull). The packers are well priced and good quality.

Comment

Certified Black Angus is a breed certification, noting both 51% or full black hide on a full Angus cow, and minimum choice on USDA grading (which is an onion of complexity to peel on it's own).

Angus cows are noted for marbling in general. There's really nothing special about black hided, much less 51% black hided Angus cows. I don't spend for CBA, relying instead of standard grading. Angus is a great breed (Hell, McDonalds uses Angus meat ;-), but I don't buy the magic of the black coat versus the red coat.

Comment

Talk about lusting after! 124.2 lbs (so the boxes say) of lip smacking meat!

Comment

I have never had good luck with Costco's brisket no matter what grade. I have noticed their ribs getting better and carrying pork belly too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here