Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinaker Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker Here!

Moderator, March 2017 - present

Well....My real name is John Bowlsby, I usually go by J.R because me and my Father have the same name and middle name is Robert. I am 32 years old, and I live west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, about 20 miles. I love spending time on the lakes and going up to northern Minnesota.

I have always been interested in cooking, even as a kid. I loved to help my mom in the kitchen. She loved to make all kinds of hearty mid-western meals that were outstanding, but they have contributed significantly to my current physique. My interest in BBQ probably started where most people's started.....out on the deck with my Dad flipping burgers and steaks. I remember as a kid, taking the seats out of the back of our Volkswagen Bus, driving to a cattle farm and filling the whole thing with frozen meat. Then I me and my brothers would pile in and have to sit on the frozen meat, all the way home! Dad was in charge of grilling. he usually made burgers, steaks and kabobs on our Brinkmann gasser. When I was in high school, I got my first smoker. A Brinkmann Vertical Electric Smoker. I played around with this sucker for about 10 years, off and on. I would put out some decent food but I knew nothing of what I was doing. In the winter of 2012, my brothers all got together and surprised me with a Broil King Keg. (I still think they did this for their own benefit as much as mine) I was hooked after I did my first cook, NY Strips.(Even thought I really didn't know what the Heck I was doing)

In 2014, I discovered AmazingRibs.com and everything changed from there. Four years later, I now own a Broil King Keg, Pit Barrel Cooker, Webber Kettle with SNS, a Lodge Hibachi, Kamado Joe Jr and a Karubeque. I fell, cut and split my own wood for BBQ. Oak, Cherry and Apple are my staples. I also have more accessories than I can possibly use at once. Like most of you, Amazing Ribs has totally changed the way I look at cooking. I owe all of my BBQ success and knowledge to the articles and people here. This really is an awesome place to hang out.

In my free time, other than BBQ, I love to Scuba dive, when I get the chance. If I could do one thing the rest of my life, I would be diving. I hope to, one day, have a small place in the Caribbean where I can shore dive the days away! I also love Cast Iron restoration, dogs, fishing, being in the outdoors, solitude and anything science related. I love spending time with my family as much as possible. I am a family first type of guy. There is nothing in this world more important to me than my family. This is probably why BBQ was a natural fit for me, it brings everyone together!

I am grateful and honored to be a moderator here at AmazingRibs.com. My fellow Pit members are what makes The Pit a truly special place. I am looking forward to hanging out with all of you in the Pit for years to come!!!

Keep the Smoke Rollin' !!!!!!

-Spinaker
    Last edited by Spinaker; March 31, 2017, 10:38 PM.

Fell, cut and split your own bbq wood? Awesome!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta try to offset the Bbq somehow!
      Last edited by Spinaker; March 31, 2017, 10:38 PM.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I read it that he fell and cut himself on the BBQ wood. Was that wrong??

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      No, no, he fell and did a split on the cut wood while he was bbqing. That's why we're all chipping in for new pants :-)

Gland you are here.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Glad to be here!

So great to see you as a moderator, John.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Larry! Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks fer the interestin' bio, Brother! I'm delighted to have ya as a moderator here, and lookin' forward to all the good things to come in this Pit!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Your a good man Bones! I'm going to hit you up when I am back in KC for work!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin' froward to it, Amigo! Ya got to hold the Pit record fer avatar changes over a short time span!!!
      Smoke On, my Brother!!!!

Hey man - Ruatan. I'm looking at it as a retirement (well get out of here) option.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm finding it pretty attractive myself. Maybe we both retire early and open a BBQ joint?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's go! EdF

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife is getting serious about this overseas retirement stuff. If we get more serious, I'll give you a yell.

Congratulations! And thank you for stepping up to take on what can be a challenging job. Cheers!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, PJ. Y'all make it much easier than it could be!!!

Hmmm... I was 33 years old when you were born 32 years ago. Now here you are scuba diving for fun and talking about BBQ for a living. Sounds to me like you have an aversion to real work.🙈

You obviously contacted MCS long before joining the Pit. Your collection of cast iron shows you are unable to limit your desire to acquire massive quantities of cooking equipment. So now that you've seen all of the new toys a moderator is exposed to I suggest you build a YUGE BBQ Shed like CandySueQ did. Last I heard her's is 9000 sq ft. 10,000 square feet would give you the record.🤗 Plus you need to get busy on real cookers, Ms Candy has admitted to 16 cookers but I bet she's got a couple that she's not fessing up too.🤔

Having an outdoor kitchen all that gear would require would make your backyard the family gathering place. Your family would be bring you mountains of meat to BBQ & Grill for them. That means they would probably bring the beer, wine and whiskey too.🤗

Congrats Spinaker you've got a nice enjoyable lifestyle to look forward to for years to come my friend🍺

Now you just need to learn to make some sourdough bread. I tried to get Meathead to make a loaf of sourdough bread but he says he has a fear of flour.😡 You need to become the ONLY moderator in the Pit that is a bread maker. Artisan handmade sourdough bread is a natural for a science freak.
    Last edited by Breadhead; April 1, 2017, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, I trade chemicals for a trading firm just outside of Minneapolis, but I just don't let it run my life. I do need to get on that sourdough train. It would open a whole new chapter in the cooking department. Thanks for the kind words BH! Always enjoy hearing from you!
      Last edited by Spinaker; March 31, 2017, 09:45 PM.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh... you do have a legitimate job huh.🙈 I bet you could make a really outstanding loaf of bread on your very first attempt like some of the other guys have. There really is science involved in making sourdough bread. All you are doing is igniting a chemical reaction.👍

It's an honor to know you Spinaker. It was good to learn a bit more about you. See you around!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks FD. Lucky to be working with everyone here!

So I'm guessing you did this to avoid the BBQ Central grillin", (pun intended ).
    And welcome to The Pit as a mod.
    And I'm glad it's you, (and not me... LOL )

But seriously - no, wait - I'm not going to get serious...

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I've been in contact with Greg. I think we are going to do one next week, maybe. I'm for it, why not? I listen to his show weekly so it will be cool to get the chance to chat with him and talk BBQ. Everyone loves that, Right?

Great Bio and intro Spinaker. I've never been scuba diving. I'm in Florida so I should make that a priority probably. Congrats on your new position here!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man! If you go diving, you will love it. Just make sure you take IN POOL lessons first. Controlling buoyancy and breath re the two most important skills you can learn. It will make your diving much more enjoyable! Get in and blow some bubbles!

Nice intro Spinaker . Glad you are a moderator for The Pit. Looking forward to meeting up with you soon. Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Next weekend brother!!

Two Avatar changes in a week? What am I going to do? Breadhead was 12 when I was born. I figured that out by counting down on my fingers. Congrats again on the promotion! I couldn't write one because like Chuck Barris, only my years around the Gong Show are part of the public record. You are doing well - keep up the good work!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks tbob4!!

Scuba, that's awesome! I'm open-water certified, but live in southwestern Ohio. Not much scuba water around here. I've only ever managed to go on one real dive in Florida...

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I'm also land locked!! But there is lake diving here. Brrrrrrr.... I like 82 F. Hahahahaha. You should give it another shot!

Damn John, I don't know who the hell you are. Next time I log on You might be a polar bear?? but seriously I think you will be "amazing " at your new role here. You're 20yrs my younger, brother but I have the utmost respect for you. I'm looking forward to conversing with and learning from you and hopefully meeting you one day. It's a great day in the pit.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Thanks Steve. You never know, one of my brothers lives in the Big Apple. So I make it out there every once and a while! He went to school out east and never came backl!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here