Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danjohnston949, a.k.a Dan Johnston, Fargo ND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Dan! Click image for larger version

Name:	15999326758284995492730010139428.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	909910

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      If ya don’t mind my askin, what is that yer cookin. Been studyin it & can’t quite figger it out.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Well FireMan it is a small strip of beef sirloin i found in my freezer.. and it was one of those cut offs intended for grinding or something.. 😎👍

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah ha, er somethin! Very good sir! 🕶

RIP Dan

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother.

Time is flying..
    Cheers Dan!
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; February 19, 2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw an old jalopy at a car show recently and immediately thought about Dan. As I continue to age, I feel more and more like Fred Sanford grabbing his chest shouting, "I’m comin’ to be with you Dan…"

I was looking through Henrik cookbook the other night and this note from Dan fell out - he met up with us at the MN BBQ class a few years ago and we had no more than sat down and he learned I was Skip daughter and he gave a few BBQ-related items. A week or so later, this showed up with a Happy BBQ note from Dan! If you haven't figured out the friendships made on the Pit, this is just one example!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220512_194550~2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1221326 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      RIP Dan.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be Dan, " Happy BBQ ".

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That is great to see!

Im a bit busy this week with a course at the Police academy so i'll post a few days early.. Don't think Dan has any objections..
    Damn how time flies..

Its a poem by Wystan Hugh Auden

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'.
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Dan, you are still in my thougts!

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. And also soon coming up is Mr. Bones whose birthday is February 21st, and died soon after.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Post Elton's BBQ. I'm smiling wide as I read this and think about Dan and all the others we've lost. RIP everyone.

Ahhh the old Backyard Cremator. Yea kinda miss that guy ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	dan.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1556362

Comment

He was certainly a sweetheart of a guy, and he really had a hoot in here yukking it up with all of us. It's good to remember him today. Thanks for the bump Elton's BBQ

Comment

That guy was a legend. They do not make them like that anymore. That is for sure. He was a great member of our community.

"Backyard Cremator" was one of the best nick names anyone ever gave themselves.

Comment

I miss Dan as well. When clicking on his posts, I knew I was in for a treat. There have been so many wonderful things said here over the years about Dan--some of which bring tears to my eyes.

One of my favorites is this one, posted by Spinaker in 2019:
          I am very sorry to hear this. Dan was a very good man, with a wonderful heart. He was one of the very first people I conversed with in The Pitmaster Club, back in 2014. He was always positive, welcoming and showed a genuine interest in what I was doing. Sure his posts were a bit goofy at times, but that is part of what made Dan who he was. I was also fortunate enough to talk to him quite a few times, over the phone. And every time he was nothing but happy and filled with laughter. I will always remember Dan for what he brought to all of us, a huge smile. Every time I saw one of his posts, it made me smile.

Dan and Eunice would send me little gifts every once in a while. Out of the blue! Their generosity and kindness knew no bounds. I must admit, I was always a little leery of opening the box, because I never knew what I would find. Sometimes it would be a cast iron cook book, Grill Pinz, oven gloves, smoking wood, news paper articles or some other BBQ related item. One time he sent me some steel folding traps for "Those DAMN bird-sized mosquitos" that we have here in Minnesota. I still have them, they hang on the wall in my BBQ room, next to some old vintage pans that I know Dan would enjoy seeing. Every time I look at those traps hanging in my BBQ room, I chuckle. Now when I look at those traps hanging on my wall, I may feel some sorrow, but I know that Dan's good humor and warm heart is what they really mean to me.

I am surely going to miss seeing him in The Pitmaster Club. He was a good man and one that can never be replaced. Unfortunately, they don't make them like Dan anymore. He was a true gem.

Smoke on my friend, you will be terribly missed.​
          Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I still mean every word. He was special to all of us. Tears just mean he touched your life, like he did many of us. 🫂

From one who hopes to leave a legacy that brings a smile to his friends faces and a heritage that will give his children strength and honor, well done Dan Johnston well done.

Comment

Truly a great man with a kind heart and soul. Still missed to this day.

Comment

I just got done reading this whole thread again. What a tribute to a great guy. I can’t even imagine the BS he’d be coming up with now. Hahaha. I really do miss him. He was a special soul. What a guy.

He was one that made you think if you ever met him, you’d wanna shake his hand and give him as hug. Then he’d give you crap about being soft or say I was gonna crush/kill him with that hug or something. But you’d know he’d appreciated the gesture. 😎

He was the BBQ version of Rodney Dangerfield, always making self deprecating jokes about himself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here