Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time listener, first time caller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time listener, first time caller

Hey now! I've been spying on you all since November when I bought a PBC and smoked a perfect Thanksgiving turkey that disappeared in minutes (I did ruin a few chickens, brisket flats and racks of ribs, first, but the turkey was nails). Been grilling for 30 years but somewhat new to smoking meat. I'm in SoCal - LA County, so our covid restaurant restrictions have been crazy strict and I got tired of not eating delicious BBQed meats. The Thanksgiving turkey, a Tomahawk steak and a few racks of baby backs I made have been the only smoked items that really made me smile. The others, including 4 pork butts, have just turned out okay, which has been a bit frustrating, but I'll keep at it until it's perfect! Happy to be here and looking to learn. Glad to MEAT you all!

Welcome and thanks for the support!!

You wrapping the butts any, or letting them ride the whole time?

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! I have wrapped butts with apple cider and not wrapped and let it ride. I had moderate sucess wrapping but still not what I would call great. I prefer to let it ride but my PBC get's iffy with temps after 5 hours. I live on the west coast but my house is actually a few feet below sea level a few miles inland so maybe I need to close vent a bit more. average temp gets close to 295 degrees for total cook time even when I foil up holes. it's often gets over 300. i just need to play more.

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Western Masssachusetts.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Please tell us how you are cookin' the butts. The more detail you give, the better we can help.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Half the fun is learning, and eating, the mistakes we all make.

Comment

I see you're sporting a santa maria on your kettle. Very nice.

Comment

• latenight71
                  latenight71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you! Yes, I just got it about a month ago and love it! It's from Gabby's Grill's in Norcal. I got the griddle for it, too, and it is super quality, just haven't had a chance to use it yet. Gabby makes the attachment for the 18-inch Joe, too, which I carry in my RV. Thinking about getting it as it really helps in avoiding char, which my 18-inch Weber loves to do even with ashy coals.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gabby's makes on for the 14" too and I find that to be very tempting.

Huntington Beach welcomes you and the barrel thingy your cooking with.

From what I understand they are bird machines. Plenty of folk here to help you. Jerod and Ron have cooked a little too. I’m sure they can help.

I think that blue kettle may have caught the attention of RonB like the Santa Maria did Attjack

Comment

• latenight71
                  latenight71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Blue kettle was also a recent purchase ofnofferup for more than I could have bought a brand new 22. stupid, but the color caught my eye and it was local and I got a cool green chair out of the deal, too.

The good thing is OK is ok. It’s also good you nailed that turkey. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• latenight71
                  latenight71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The turkey really surprised me. I sweated over it for weeks prior and then day of I promised not to lift the lid and trust my thermo. came out just amazing. i find the less i sweat it with the PBC the better luck I have. I keep short timing my butts and worry about serve time. that makes worry and makes me lift lift and screw it.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been there, done that & yup, I got the shirt about 3 yrs ago.

• Soonerpop
                  Soonerpop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome from north Texas and enjoy the Pit. That seems to be the way it goes with those of us with a PBC or PBJ. Let er go and do it’s thing.

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here