Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed C checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed C checking in

I'm a long time griller, my dad was a grill master and did cookouts for the local volunteer fire department, VFW, etc... I followed in his footsteps and confined myself to grilling. About 15 years ago I picked up a book (Smoke and Spice) that got me into real BBQ and Smoking. I started with a New Brunsfield side box and my struggles began. As Meathead and many others have pointed out, these machines are a bear to keep on temp. That caused me to be an infrequent smoker just to avoid the hassle. I did a lot of indirect cooking and have used that method to cook for some big groups (100+) and it worked out but I was missing out on the real flavor of smoke. Last year I had three BBQ - Grills on patio, all of which were getting long in tooth. The Sgt. Major (wife) allowed that I could get a new BBQ if I lost the other three. I picked the Rec-Tec and it has worked out great. I solved the searing issues with Great Grates and have a wonderful all around machine. I retired in January of 2015 so we are free to spend a lot more time at our cabin in the Northern Sierras. I have a $100 hardware store machine up there that has give faithful service for the past 12 years but since I now had the time I decided to invest in a better grill-smoker. I did not want another Rec-Tec only because I didn’t want to rely on a somewhat unreliable electrical supply and the two hour turn-around to Reno to get pellets was less than optimal. Gas was an option but plumbing into our propane system was way too expensive and, again, the drive to Reno for tanks was a non starter. I wanted a charcoal/stick burner but the Texas sidecar memories were still strong. After a lot of digging around, starting with this site, I discovered "The Good One” I could not find many reviews and most of them were by spokesmen for the company. I found an unbiased test results story and it seemed that the Good One Open Range was very easy to keep on temp and very well made. Based on that I swallowed hard and laid out the big bucks for the Open Range. I have had the Good One for about a month and a half and have done a lot of grilling and some smoking on it. The grill works great and my efforts at smoking have paid off nicely after I learned the ins and outs of the machine. I am looking forward to continuing to keep up with the BBQ scene on Amazing Ribs.com and since I have been doing that for several years I figured it was time to chip in and help the site continue to provide the quality information that I have found so useful.
    Thanks Meathead and the same to your dedicated staff and contributors.
    Ed C

Welcome Aboard Ed

Comment

Welcome, got you some good gear and plenty of time!

Comment

​Welcome to The Pit Ed C! That was a great intro, very glad to meet you and glad you're here with us. Congrats on the new Good One and the new joys ahead during your retirement! Be sure to get your signature set up and brag about that Good One!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here