Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad to be here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts!

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Welcome from Washington

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. Glad you’re here. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Farmville, Va...

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                        Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome aboard DBSCOTT

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

DBSCOTT Welcome! Here's a couple of links for Italian Beef, if you haven't stumbled upon them yet. (Tonight I just finished turning 15 lbs of Costco prime Top Sirloin into Italian beef. Our daughters and their families are coming over tomorrow, and everyone will also take home leftovers.

I don't know how to copy this post I made in Dec 2018, so I'll cut & paste:

December 20, 2018, 07:48 PM
                              I'm from Chicago and have lived in Seattle for 40 years. I recently made Italian beef for 70 people. Bought sirloin tip roasts at Costco. Brown thoroughly in olive oil, all sides, and set aside. I used my gas weber to avoid smelling up the house with the grease, using large dutch ovens and cast iron pans. This took over an hour, with two shifts of roasts. Then I lightly brown tons of chopped garlic, add beef broth and water to deglaze and pour into the largest pots, with liquid about â…” way up the side of the meat, lots of dried oregano , red pepper flakes, salt and ground black pepper. I then brought them inside and simmered for about 1 hour. You still want the meat to hold together for slicing, so it is not fall apart soft at this point. Remove meat from liquid, allow to cool, refrigerate. Then slice the cooled meat, and return it all to the liquid. You can heat it up before the meal, giving about an hour of simmering to finish cooking. However, Italian beef was a poor persons food for cheap cuts of meat, and the slicing and reheating allowed tougher cuts to be used.
                              The bread needs to be able to hold up to the liquid, and in Chicago it was Gonella Italian bread. Here in Seattle, I have found Ciabbata rolls work well. The wrong wheat gives you the flour paste you alluded to.
                              Finally, cut a ton of bell peppers (I like about 50% green, 50% red or yellow mix, but all green is just as delicious and less expensive. Costco business centers sell giant boxes of them). Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast on baking sheets or pans at about 425 for around 30 min. Can freeze and defrost day of event. Order bottles of hot giardianara from Vienna in Chicago https://www.viennabeef.com/shop/vien...iniera-4-pack/ (they ship it), or go to Potbelly Sandwiches in Seattle or Bellevue and they sell gallon containers. I once bought one, but couldn't use it up in a timely manner. You should call them first to confirm that they have and sell it. Feel free to contact me if you want more of my experience (a fellow Seattle resident.) This is not smoked, but is the real thing. My extended family craves these. Me too!
                              Last edited by new2smoking; December 20, 2018, 10:54 PM.

NOW READ THIS!

PBCDad (aka David) gave his lovely wife Carolina her wished-for birthday gift of feeding men in a homeless shelter in Seattle. This is an amazing story of feeding 250 appreciative diners real Chicago-style Italian Beef sandwiches.
                              ​​​​​https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ing-of-the-250

Hope this helps. And again, thanks for joining us here on AR. (ps, I'll post tonight's cook after I have some photos of the final serve tomorrow.)

Comment

• PBCDad
                                PBCDad commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Listen to this man, this is quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever had. I need to make these again soon, as soon as I can dig myself out of all this snow...

Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here