Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern hospitality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great big Texas BIENVENIDO to you.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Shem welcome! I was a gas guy for years and years... 20? 30? I switched to charcoal about 10 years ago or so, and I’d never go back.

Most people claim speed and convenience for gas, but that’s not really the case. You just rearrange the order you do things. First thing with charcoal is start the chimney. Then, while the coals burn, do all the other prep: for example, if you’re doing burgers, slice the tomatoes, wash the lettuce, etc.

Experience will let you know how much charcoal you’ll need for whatever you’re cooking. You might need a full chimney for roasting a couple chickens, but only half a chimney for 6 burgers over the S&S. Without having done the math, I can say that I spend less on charcoal every summer right now than I did on propane 15 years ago. And I’ve never run out of charcoal mid-cook on a Sunday and had to go look for more.

Im not dissing gas. I loved outdoor cooking with gas. I just love outdoor cooking with charcoal a lot more. If I had to say one thing that I don’t like about charcoal, it would be that sometimes, when the chimney first starts, the wind blows all the smoke back toward where everyone is relaxing. But then it gets hotter and goes away.
        Last edited by Mosca; January 26, 2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Shem
          Shem commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Mosca! I pulled the trigger & ordered the Slow 'n Sear last night. Here's to cookin' on coals! Haha.

Greetings trial member
        From NW Oregon.

Comment

First, welcome to the Pit from Baltimore! Second: Broil King Baron series of grills. Have one and I love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here