Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long cold cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long cold cook

New to the site. Looking forward to learning and cooking.

I do have a question for folks.
    Did a lot of reading on this site for indirect cooking and using my propane grill for cooking low and slow. So I put a pork shoulder roast on for a 12 to 14 hour cook at 225. Overnight cook after 14 hrs had an internal temp of 190. After 15 or 16 hrs was at 188 internally.

It's -4 to -7 (-20 to -25 celcius) overnight here. I was able to have the grill maintain 235 overnight with 1 burner on. But its chewing through my propane after so many hours.

I've now wrapped the pork in tinfoil and put it back on hoping to get it up to 203 as per the recipe directions.

I'm looking for suggestions since I don't kind a 12 to 14 hr cook. But 16 hours or more seems excessive. Could it dry out? Will I have to always expect a 16 or 18 hr cook even though it only calls for 12 to 14?
    any help is appreciated.

-C

Welcome from Colorado ... and you might want to forget "good ol' 225F" as the "standard". A large number of us here in the Pit have abandoned 225 in favor of something closer to 275F as the norm. Food seems to cook just as well at the higher temp ... and it cooks MUCH more quickly. For poultry, think in terms of 325-400F as the new normal for ensuring properly crispy skin.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. What you have experienced is not out of the ordinary. Each piece of meat is unique. I have put on multiple butts at a time that I thought were almost identical, yet they finished hours apart. At those temperatures you need to insulate the cooker to retain the heat within. I use cheap welding blankets, and they do help with retention of heat and do save on fuel. They also protect from wind. Hopefully next time you can get the cooking temps up in the 250-275 range which will shorten the cook time.

Comment

I also live in a cold climate. Propane cookers must work much harder in cold temps and therefore use much more propane to create the same BTU’s as in warm weather. Consider wrapping and finishing in the indoor oven when the meat hits the stall. It will end up the same as doing the whole cook outside.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          What they said. If the meat has as much smoke as you want it to have, there's no shame in moving indoors to the oven. Also using the oven keeps the house warmer on an extra cold winter day. Win-win.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          DITO

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup.

Also makes th house smell GREAT!!!

Thanks folks.
        always appreciate the info.
        As I said, here to learn and get better!

Comment

After that long on the grill, it wouldn’t have hurt to put it in the oven to finish. When you wrapped it, adding a little liquid to the pork could help with it not drying out. And as MBMorgan mentioned, a lot of us don’t do 225 anymore for low and slow cooks. I’m usually very happy running 250-275 for my long cooks. I’ve learned so much here myself Dykeshow ....after thinking I knew it all.
          Last edited by Panhead John; January 23, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Also, the 203 IT is just a reference. It all depends on your taste. I like pulling mine around 197°. I pull it apart in chunks. If you want it shredded, you can still do that. I just don't like mushy meat. So a little stingy of chewy is great for me.
            also different meats cook differently.
            Sometimes you smoke something and it's great and other times your so disappointed but you have cooked both the same way. Not all meat are the same. And it's not all about grade either. Two prime grade can cook differently.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Dykeshow if you are wrapped, just move to your oven, and save the propane. It's not getting smoke when wrapped in foil anyway.

Comment

Also, if you're using a standard propane grill without smoke tubes etc you're just roasting it and I'd just do that in the oven. Did my last pork butt in the oven with a cuban mojo marinade and it was fabulous.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point - my son uses foil pouches of wood chips on his gas grill, as does my father - over the lit burner. That or a smoke tube is what would make it smoking. Otherwise, might as well save propane and use the oven...

I’ve had a couple of gassers over the years and for wood smoke, this works great with wood chips....$10. at Lowe’s.
                Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have had a few of these, found the best way to use these are put them right on the burner with a combo of dry and soaking wet chips

I always use some sorta contraption fer chips on my gasser, unless it’s brats or burgers. Also forget the 203 & go fer poke test. If’s it’s tender, which it might be in the 190 neighborhood. Sounds like you ain’t to far away .

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree poke it.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Poke it good. Should go in nice and easy. Like a warm knife going through melted butter.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HawkerXP Be careful, this is a family website.

Welcome to The Pit. I was gonna say something, but I think it's already been very well covered.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RonB It’s the thought that counts.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John - actually, I try not to think this early in the year 'cause I don't wanna run out of thoughts before the year ends.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hell Ron, I ran out Tuesday.

Probe Tender, cook until probe tender. Some wrap when the bark is right, others when it reaches the stall and some don't wrap at all.
                Last edited by bbqLuv; January 23, 2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here