Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Salem, AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Salem, AL

Hello Pitmaster Club. Allow me to introduce myself.

A couple years ago a colleague in the office kept talking about something called a Big Green Egg. Other colleagues kept trying to reserve themselves some of the BBQ he was making so one day I asked him "What is this Egg of which you speak?" His eyes widened and he said "Tom, this will change your life!" He proceeded to tell me all about the BGE, and tasting some of his pulled pork convinced me.

After much research ("obsession" was the word my wife used) last summer I finally pulled the trigger on a big green . . . Weber Kettle Original Premium. It's my first grill bigger than a $50 Walmart special and I have cooked on it almost every weekend for the last four months. I've made burgers, bratwursts, hot dogs, chicken, steaks, ribs, pork chops, turkey breast, and my crowning achievement was a 5lb smoked pulled pork last week.

I'd like to say that everything has come out well; unfortunately it hasn't, but I have learned something from every cook so far. I look forward to learning more still from this here community.

Welcome from the California Delta. Great place to learn. But, be afraid you have started down a rabbit hole.

Comment

Welcome from Bham, a few miles northwest of you. Yep you have started down a rabbit hole for sure, but hey that rabbit hole gets to tasting better and better as you progress. You are in the right place to learn and make lots of like minded friends.

Comment

Welcome from very chilly Wisconsin. But no matter. I just now put my chicken on the pellet smoker! The fun for you has just begun.

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Welcome from Texas Tom. Yes sir, you came to the right place. Lots of good folks here. And knowledgeable also. The rabbit hole they spoke of is real.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit. You might like a Slow N Sear.

Making backyard barbecue easier than ever with our Slow ‘N Sear® kettle grill inserts!

Comment

• Terp Tom
                  Terp Tom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Might? I definitely like the one I have!

Terp Tom welcome to the Pit from Rocket City USA (Huntsville, Alabama)! Glad to have you onboard.

You have gone with the right tool in starting with a Weber Kettle. You can literally cook ANYTHING on a kettle, and there are so many accessories available for the 22" kettles, that can help improve your cooking arsenal.

We will be glad to help you, and studying all the techniques for smoking and doing 2-zone grilling on the free side of the site will be the first thing I would recommend to anyway. When you get ready to do more, and want to spend a few bucks, tools like the Slow 'N Sear, Grillgrates and other things can help you smoke/sear or grill in a full grill single zone setup.

The first tool you need to help your cooking is a good instant read thermometer. The second tool if you want to do long smokes is a good 2 channel leave-in thermometer (one to monitor the cooker grate level temp, one to monitor the butt or brisket).

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang Jim, he just got here. You’ve already got him dropping $3-400. 😂

Welcome from South Carolina!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Tom ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

If I may, I think you went with the correct way to start your grilling / smoking experience. The Weber kettle can do marvelous things. Especially "green" ones. It took me a long time to figure this out but here is the gift we can give you. Get a good digital thermometer. It has made a big, no, huge difference in my outdoor cooking results. Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. If you don't have a Slow N Sear, you need one to take your cookin' to the next level. Almost everyone here that has a Kettle has a SnS.

Your next mission is a smoked chuck roast. Cook it like a butt, (recipe on the free side), and pull it for sammies, or chili, or tacos, or...

This message will not self destruct in any amount of time...

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here