Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill just joined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill just joined

Greetings from Canada everyone. Born and raised in rural Saskatchewan on a cattle/grain farm. We ate a lot of beef, but the folks weren't really into BBQ, so I don't have much history with that. Joined the Naval Reserve in 1990 for a summer job to pay for university (summer basic training idea) and have been in ever since (23 years). About to take a medical release. Supply Technician by trade, but worked 6 years in Recruiting as well. Rank - Petty Officer 2nd Class.

Father was born pretty much right where he lives, but met my Spanish mother in Montreal and they moved to Saskatchewan. S0 I'm half Spanish, Naval Reservist, in the middle of Canada.

I just got into bbqing (and this awesome website) last year. I agreed to make ribs for a bbq for the Chiefs and Petty Officer's mess - then I googled how to make ribs.....and the rest is history!

I love football, golf, and curling. Can't play touch football anymore, but I still golf and curl. I also make custom clubs as a hobby. I like and follow the NFL, but some of you folks should check out the CFL (Cdn Football League). Chad Owens (Ochocinco) is now playing for the Montreal Allouttes, and will be playing against my Grey Cup Champs Saskatchewan Roughriders this Saturday (Aug 16th). Former Allouttes head coach Mark Trestman is now the coach for the Bears....

Gotta season my new smoker, and get as much BBQ in before the cold hits. Gotta few months yet.

Bill Busche

PS - Saskatoon berries are delicious.

Hi Bill. I'm dying to check out your part of North America. Berries, beef, and curling sounds like a good combo.

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
      SaskatoonBusche commented
      Editing a comment
      well, the flat prairies have their own special appeal, but I actually prefer the north - lakes, trees, excellent fishing, and, depending where you go - no one to bother you. Berries, beef and curling (and maybe a shot of rye) is definitely a good combo! lol.

of course there's the mosquitos......

Welcome Bill! It's nice to meet someone else from my neck of the woods :-)

Comment

Welcome aboard Bill!

Funny how this site just hooks you in and there's no turning back it's a sweet, sweet, smokey addiction!

Comment

Welcome Bill, I have to Dito Pitboy's comment, I'm Hooked also.

Comment

thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to all the discussion to come. Was just out shopping and bought a chimney, some wood chunks, and some pork fat - oh, and a small pizza peel. Time to season the smoker and watch some CFL football tonight! Wish I could have a real beer.....Molson Excel just doesn't cut it.

Comment

Welcome man!!!

Were you a fan of Corner Gas? I wore that show out on YouTube.

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
              Editing a comment
              they just shot the movie to be released later this fall sometime. Yup, watched it quite a bit.....jackass. lol
              and yes, I think you can watch your dog run away for 3 days (at least in the south).

Welcome nice to meet you ahh.

Comment

Hey there Bill, welcome. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Welcome aboard! And since when does a little cold weather get in the way of BBQ?

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
                  Editing a comment
                  well, a little cold weather in the fall isn't too bad, but I'm not too inclined to go out when it's -40°C with a wind chill of -50°C (which is pretty similar to °F), and 4 feet of snow I haven't shovelled yet.

Welcome Bill, you are going to like it here and fit right in. Tell me more about the Chiefs and Petty Officer's mess?

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
                  Editing a comment
                  Chief's and PO's mess. Not sure what you know, so I'll start at the beginning. First of all, the Navy has different names for the ranks compared to the Army and Air Force (Private = Ordinary Seaman / Master Corporal = Master Seaman, etc). Whether on board ship or on a base, there are 3 "messes" (aka bars / hangouts). Each one allows certain ranks. Private/Ordinary Seaman to Master Corporal/Master Seaman is the Junior Ranks' mess. Once you are promoted to Sergeant/PO2, you move to the Warrant's and Sgt's (Chief's and PO's) mess.
                  The officers have their own mess, called the Wardroom. It keeps the ranks separate for their down time and libation time (and chow time) and affords the opportunity to gripe about the other two messes in private. There is a bar for drinks, and if it's a big enough mess it will have it's own kitchen/galley. Bar prices on board ship are known to be extremely low. Not sure what it is now, but that's why sailors are always drunk! It's affordable! You pay dues every year, but the mess can provide funds for events (entertainment).
                  So, last year when I decided to cook ribs for the mess (without knowing what I was doing), it was for a mess function that our mess paid for (the food). That's when I did a search for "how to cook ribs" and this site popped up. Been hooked ever since - and the ribs turned out pretty darn well if I do say so myself.
                  Sorry - a little long winded.

Greetings from Calgary, stamps for Grey Cup!

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
                  Editing a comment
                  Not without Cornish. Can't stand him but he should be healthy and playing.

Welcome SB! I would have sworn I posted in this thread already. Maybe I just didn't hit send. ugh.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here