Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from Lehigh Acres, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Lehigh Acres, FL

Got an 18.5" WSM a couple of months ago & have toyed with it with some success. The problem I have is that initially it runs too hot & I have to continuously fiddle with the vents, resulting in the meat cooking faster than I want. Any suggestions?

Welcome aboard Wade from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... and advice? Yep: Don’t "chase" temps regardless of the cooker you’re using.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; December 1, 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.
          Can't help much on that cooker, but can suggest just keep at it and you will learn what it wants to do.
          I'm sure some one will chime in with experience on the WSM

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Ditto what MBMorgan said, don’t chase temperatures, especially too quickly. I recommend doing an experimental cook maybe even without food. Let the cooker find its steady point and then make minor adjustments over a long period of time until you find those settings that come close to the temps you are looking for. Then next time, start with those settings. As you learn the cooker, it will become easier to dial everything close to what you want in from the start. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Wade. What temp does your cooker like? Low and slow can be anywhere from 225° to 300°ish. A lot here smoke in the 250° to 275° range. Hitting and holding a specific temp is not as critical as some would have you believe.

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. You’ll enjoy the Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ. I do not have any answers for you because I do not have a WSM, I cook on a Camp Chef pellet grill and a Weber Kettle. I know you will get plenty of answers from fellow members that use the WSM

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Long Island!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here