Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guy in the pit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy in the pit.

"Greetings trying to work my way up to be a solid Pit Boss then maybe a Pit Master one day!"
    I've learned a ton already. I haven't torched anything since I learned about grilling by indirect heat. I'm looking forward to actually purchasing a new charcoal grill or 2. (No more converting gas grills discarded at the land fill, or hand me downs, hahaha) My current grill is on currently on life support, patched together with old grates, angle iron etc. I've almost narrowed it down to either a Weber 26" kettle or 22' Slow and Sear kettle and possibly a pit barrel.

"You have to kill it to grill it"
    - Ted Nugent

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... a kettle + Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) is a killer combo ...

Comment

• mjwintl
        mjwintl commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I was thinking.

Howdy from south Texas! Glad you’re here!

Comment

• mjwintl
        mjwintl commented
        Editing a comment
        I spent ten glorious months in Texas. In the San Antonio area Fort Sam Houston.

Hello from Chico, CA

Comment

Sounds like you should get that 26".

Comment

• mjwintl
          mjwintl commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I'm thinking. Then just get a slow and Sear to go in it.

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

• mjwintl
          mjwintl commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

• mjwintl
          mjwintl commented
          Editing a comment
          this might be a silly question oh, so pardon the ignorance but do you grill all year round up there?

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you I spent some time in at Fort Eustis about an hour away from VA beach. Really nice area.

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            Am familiar with Ft Eustis. It is much nicer area up their on the Peninsula than here in the Beach. My neighbors son is stationed there and likes it alot.

mjwintl Glad to have you on board!

Personally, I've know a couple folks who thought it worthwhile to turn a gas grill into a charcoal grill, but never saw why myself - no airflow control, and most gas grills are effectively VERY ventilated, to prevent gas buildup and explosions. That means you effectively have a totally wide open charcoal grill - making for no heat control.

Both the Weber 22" and 26" are GREAT choices. My Weber Performer Deluxe is my favorite grill, due to the expansive work table, charcoal bin, storage shelf, and propane ignition. If I could only keep ONE grill or smoker, it is the one I would choose. I will say that if you cook for a LOT of folks, the extra space on the 26" could be useful. If you think you will accessorize - there are many more accessories that are readily available for the 22" kettle. I have right now a full set of Grillgrates, the Slow 'N Sear, Drip 'N Griddle and Easyspin grate from SNSgrills.com, a Weber rotisserie, and a Hover Grill elevated grate. I use it rather than my offset to do most of my smoking, I grill, griddle, fry, saute, bake and rotisserie on it.

A PBC is great if you want a dedicated smoker, and don't care about control of the fire, and just want to get it done. A Weber 22" can fit more than you might think for smoking - I routinely have done:

- 1 16-18 pound brisket
          - 2 8-10 pound Boston butts
          - 2 spatchcocked chickens
          - 3 to 4 split chickens
          - 20 pound spatchcocked turkey (had to wrap tips of legs as they were hanging slightly over the SNS)
          - Up to 5 racks of ribs (using a Weber rib rack)
          - Wood fired pizza using the technique shown on the snsgrills.com website

And of course, lots of burgers, grilled chicken, chops, fish, etc. I use a dutch oven over the SNS to deep fry too, and have sautéed shrimp scampi in the Drip 'N Griddle.

The 26" kettle will hold about 30% more, and give you a little more space for large cuts like brisket or ribs. But it is not offered with a convenient side table.

You definitely want to check out the kettle offered at snsgrills.com - it has a fold out side table that is better than no side table at all. Like I said - my favorite is my Weber Performer Deluxe, which is effectively an outdoor kitchen on a cart for me.

If I were you, I would start with the kettle, accessorized with at least a SNS and DNG, get a rib rack if you want to smoke more than 2 racks of ribs, and see where the capacity limits are, and work on your smoking and grilling game. If you decide the capacity is not there for smoking, up your game with the PBC.
          Last edited by jfmorris; November 20, 2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that's why I've been kind of going back and forth between SNS slow and Sear and the 26 Weber kettle. I was stuck in a v a hospital for a week, early this year and I started watching BBQ Pitmasters. I decided I was going to turn up my grilling game this year. That's when I started Gathering new tools, thermometers Etc. I cooked two briskets and a Boston butt with the equipment I currently have. We try grilling a chuck roast or two.

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            The other thing you mentioned oh, was the other reason I didn't pull the trigger on the 26 besides the fact they're hard to find at the moment. It seems like there are more accessories if you will for a weber 22. I wasn't all that concerned about not having a side table, because I knew I was going to get a 2 by 4 ft table either way. What I really liked about the 22 SNS Grill was the port hole in the bottom, and the probe hole and the placement of the vent and thermometer.

What jfmorris said. Welcome from TN

Comment

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Knoxville is the bomb diggity.

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina

Comment

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Greetings from Harnett County!

Welcome from central FL.

Comment

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Are y'all doing okay down there? It's been mighty wet.

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
          Sounds like you should get that 26".
          That's what I did. When I first signed up here I asked for advice and Huskee pointed me in the right direction. That's how I ended up with my Weber 26. I also bought an XL SNS which I don't think they make anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_182021.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	942949

Name:	20171020_091811.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	942950

Name:	20180406_190629.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	942951

Yup, the 26 is a nice grill to have.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Spatchcock birds look top notch. No foul fowl there. Make me hungry, good thing it about time to start grilling some pork chops, sweet taters, green salad, sipping whiskey.

• mjwintl
            mjwintl commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesometastic!

Yeah, it's a word.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on th 26.75"

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here