Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Northern Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    I never gave you an official welcome morairtym, so welcome to The Pit!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Leave a comment:

• ribeyeguy
    replied
    Northern Michigan........isn't that where they make pasties? Got any recipes for smoked pasties?

Leave a comment:

• morairtym
    replied
    Well keeping this a bit short because I'm on my phone. Last weekends brisket turned out great.

It was a usda choice packers cut. I keep mine whole and ended up injecting the fat separating the 2 cuts with beef broth.

Ended up tossing it on at about 10pm. I stayed up until 2pm and set an alarm for 8:30. It was already up to 182 at that point was kinda hoping it would have stalled out a bit so I could go back to sleep. I wrapped it and put it back on tell it hit 203. That was at 10am.

Party started at 5pm so it stayed in the foil got wrapped in some bath towels and went in a pre heated cooler for 7 hours.

I separated the flat and point. Wrapped the point backup and placed it in the cooler. The flat got cut into strips. I will say it's hard to cut it up without eating it.

The point was latter placed in the fridge and eaten over the course of the week.

All in all it turned out great. Im sorry I didn't have pictures but I do have another one @16lb that's getting smoked next week.

Some how this did not stay short.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    Welcome from another Michigander. I live in the Brighton area (between Ann Arbor and Flint) but my parents have a place in Boyne City on Lake Charlevoix and I will be up there for a 3 days this weekend for Boyne Thunder. Traverse City is fantastic and we sometimes make our way over there for a day trip. Glad to have you in the pit.

Leave a comment:

• Munch
    commented on 's reply
    I kind of thought so... In the top 3 anyway.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Detroit is the most dangerous city in the entire USA per capita, according to this site: http://patch.com/michigan/birmingham...st-dangerous-0 although I make no claims as to which poll is most accurate.

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    That is a mouthful!

I cant even figure out how to pronounce .... I been imbibing too, that should have helped!

• Munch
    replied
    Welcome from another MI new guy. Diagonally south of you, just north of the town where the Tigers play. Or the Murder Capitol of Michigan. Whichever 😜

Leave a comment:

• Usernamevalid
    commented on 's reply
    I can never decide...

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    So THAT's what we're called...

• Usernamevalid
    replied
    Another Michiganderiteanian. Welcome!

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Welcome. I also kicked into high BBQ gear when I went virtually carb free last fall. As my GF would say, meat is my life.

Everyone has different opinions on brisket. Having cut my BBQ teeth in Austin, my rub is just salt & pepper, fairly even amounts. I don't inject. I wrap when I've got a good bark formed, not necessarily at the stall. On my last good brisket, which was a 6 lb flat, I wrapped at 185 and it hit 205 in 90 minutes. Whole packers can be tricky since you've usually got such different thicknesses and fat content. I separate them and take them both to 203-205 individually.

Good luck. Take pictures.
    Last edited by The Burn; July 2, 2015, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I hear you Spin. I'm not a big fan of mondo thick chewy bark on pork butts, but for brisket when it's sliced thin you NEED that thin sliver of bark on each slice to take it from 7 to 10!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I live in Farwell, west of Clare 6 miles or so. TC is my wife & I's favorite MI city, we're there several times/yr. In fact, might be headed up there Mon to see Tonic & Toad the Wet Sprocket.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Lol, I forgot you grew up in Gladwin, so did I. Small world. Two Pitmaster Club Members who grew up in the same small town, roughly the same time period. I know we had this conversation a year ago...Forgive me, there's been a lot of posts and a lot of meeting people since then.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here