Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet or Pit Barrel for new toy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good way to get totally confused about what cooker to buy is to come here and ask everybody's advice on what cooker to buy. I know from experience having done the same thing myself last year!

Comment

PBC. Much cheaper, more smoke flavor. And my wife said that from now on I have no choice but to do ribs in the PBC after just 1 rib cook on my Traeger. It is just a little bit more work using charcoal, at least for me. In it's natural state it works great but becomes even more flexible when using a DigiQ or Fireboard with a fan. You can also snuff out the coals quickly to save on charcoal. Get a pellet later or not at all.

Comment

Embrace the MCS and get both. Nirvana will ensue until you have to have the 3rd cooker. Good luck. That said, I love my Yoder YS-640. Easy and delicious.

Comment

I have a GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill and a Sears gasser with grill grates. I recently put a GMG rotisserie on my FB and it improved already good results. As with most new pellet grills, I can control it with my smart phone. Keep in mind that a pellet grill has to be protected from the weather. It's not weather proof. I keep mine in a large shed and just roll it out to use.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point on protecting a pellet grill from the weather. Also the pellets will absorb moisture over time and increase the likelihood of jamming etc. i keep mine in my garage.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Both my pellet burners live outside through Iowa winters, with no more protection than their covers. Both my OG and Blaz'n Grid Iron have pellet dumps, and the pellets stay in the garage in weather tight containers.

I have a PBC and can recommend it.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            You do? LOL

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't believe you were the only one who caught it. surfdog

I have aPBJ and like it. A PBC or J is a good starting place for a good price. You’ll end up,with multiples anyway, so go for it.

Comment

Just going to set this here... lol
            Click image for larger version

Name:	C7AB67D6-603F-4E39-8943-AFFAB2ADD75D.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	941112

Comment

The PBC will produce a stronger smoke flavor. The pellet grill will have a milder smoke profile. Some people don't think the pellets produce enough smokey flavor while some think the PBC is too intense.

I have a PBC and I like it, but I don't consider it a set and forget cooker. It requires attention on longer cooks for which I ended up purchasing a fan and temp controller. And then there is the lighting of the charcoal and cleanup afterwards. Now granted a pellet cooker also requires some cleanup but a shop vac often does the trick.

My next cooker will be a pellet grill because as my wife and I have matured (grown older), we find the milder smoke of the pellets appealing. That being said I have never owned a pellet grill but my daughter has one and they really like it.

Comment

I'm more than a little biased since I own and love a pellet pooper, but I do think it's the better choice. While it is true that if you just count on the pellets for your smoke and heat, you will end up with a softer smoke profile. If however, you add a smoke tube and burn wood chips in it instead of more pellets, then you can have total control of just how much smoke you do or don't get. For me, heat and smoke are two different components of a cook, and are managed separately.

Comment

Well folks, tough call but I wanted to have a bit more confidence with Thanksgiving coming up, and going into this upcoming season with schedule, early sunsets, & longer work hours it came down to crunch time and so I pulled the trigger on a Grilla. Hoping to get it home by Thanksgiving.
                  Seriously, I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to share your expertise and experience. I am very grateful. You all are a great bunch of folks.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking forward to seeing your cooks. I hope your Thanksgiving is good, cheers.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good choice! I assume you went with the original Grilla, and not the Silverbac? If I ever get a pellet cooker, the original Grilla is what I plan on buying - I think with the extension rack up top, or a rib rack, it would hold all I need to smoke most of the time. And it can grill and such. Plus it has that cool window with the flames in it!

• DrJimmy2112
                    DrJimmy2112 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes jfmorris original grilla. Bogy sold me on the capacity and insulation and smoke flavor over the Silverback.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have to admit Bogy if I was ever to go pellet I do like that Grilla.
                    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 18, 2020, 07:32 AM.

• Bogy
                    Bogy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of these days HawkerXP, I may get a PBC.

• DrJimmy2112
                    DrJimmy2112 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Christmas is coming...

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here