Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longtime Reader, Finally Joined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longtime Reader, Finally Joined

I'm not sure why I waited so long, but I finally joined. I've been gas grilling (often with a smoke tube) and sous vide cooking for a lot of years. I also recently got a RecTeq, and have been smoking everything I can get my hands on. For a long time, I thought Sous-Vide-Q was good enough for brisket and beef ribs, but I'm really starting to think the difference in flavor when it's all done on the smoker is worth it.

Between this site, and SeriousEats.com, I've learned the importance of a good dry brine, how to reverse sear, and why pastrami is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy (@Meathead's Reuben recipe with homemade pastrami changed my life).

I'm hoping to up my game even further with this membership, and I'm very interested in finding more good rub recipes (particularly copy-cat ones for well-known brands [like Meat Church], so I can make them without the salt). Maybe drop some of your favorite rub recipes in response? My favorite is Meathead's Big Bad Beef, but it's fun to try new things now and then, and avoiding buying expensive salt in commercial rubs is a big goal of mine.

I've already started my Thanksgiving planning and prep. Will be spatchcocking and smoking a full bird the Meathead way for the third year, and doing a separate sous vide breast for the first time trying this method: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...nksgiving.html

If I'm honest, though, I'm most looking forward to the Turkey pot pie I have planned with the smoked leftovers, using a recipe that's a mix of Meathead's version, and some other recipes I've used -- it's the best pot pie, ever.

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone!

Welcome from Chico. Oh man, turkey pot pie. My wife's is the best ever! Unfortunately, her recipe books and mine don't ever touch each other. I think it's because mine have a lot of steak juice all over them.

Comment

Welcome from Texas! You’ll like it here, lots of talented and friendly folks.

Comment

Welcome from the Delta

Comment

Welcome from TN. I just did a SV turkey breast at 145 for 2 1/2 hours per that recipe, and it is excellent.
          Last edited by klflowers; November 9, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• CaliforniaDad
            CaliforniaDad commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers - awesome! Did you try that technique with the skin? How'd that part go? Also, did you bother tying the two halves, as described?

My wife doesn't love strong smoke on her turkey, so I'm adding the SV breast to make her happy.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            CaliforniaDad, I did not do the skin; I have never done that part. Too lazy. I have actually done this several times, and the first time I tied the halves. After that, since I vac seal them, I just positioning them and using the vac seal to hold them in place. They come out really moist; we hardly ever buy sliced turkey from the deli counter at the store anymore.

Howdy from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the bbq capital of New England, Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
                Cheers from Norway And

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here