Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Plano, TX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit John.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Massachusetts.

Comment

Howdy from Wilson County, Texas! Glad you’re here.

Comment

Welcome.
              My nephew had a place in Plano, he's over in Frisco now.
              Plano used to be out in the boonies there north of Dallas, not any more.
              Look forward to seeing your dads recipes.

Comment

Welcome, neighbor! You will have a good time here. Give me a private message if you ever want to meet for some5ing cold to drink.

Comment

• John H
                  John H commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I look forward to meeting you. Not sure yet how to send a private message.

Welcome from the lowcountry of SC!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, John. I spent a few years in Plano while with ARCO Exploration back in the 80’s. Nice town.

Comment

Well, you can see how the two jobs thing works out. This is the first chance I've had to look back at this post since I wrote it. I deeply appreciate the welcome.

Right after I posted my introduction, I cooked my first batch of miso wings. They were a big hit. Since I'm still figuring out the rules of this site, I am going to risk posting a question here. I'll count on you folks to redirect me if this is the wrong place.

Can anyone help with recreating the procedure for cooking my dad's BBQ pork chops? I'm trying to remember 40 + years back. Here's what I remember: He used a Cook'n'Kettle cast iron grill with Kingsford briquettes (I now would use hardwood charcoal.) He set the grid low in the pit after the coals burned down. The thing that puzzles me most is that he put the pork chops (thin cut - he bought them in the grocery store) in two layers in a cast iron skillet. At some point he would begin brushing his homemade sauce on the pork chops. I remember taking a few turns putting sauce on the pork chops, and I remember turning them over at least once during the cook. I think I remember him putting salt and pepper on the pork chops prior to the cook. This was not a long slow cook - it might have taken an hour and a half if memory serves. He did not use a thermometer, so I don't know how he knew when they were done, but they always were.

I have his sauce recipe and have used it to great effect with ribs and chicken. I've hesitated for years on the porkchops because I don't know how to ensure that they are cooked evenly and thoroughly when layered in a pan. I've asked relatives and friends, but nobody remembers Dad's process. I currently cook on a large Big Green Egg and have a good instant read thermometer.

I would welcome any advice.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon,

Comment

Howdy from Wilson County, east of San Antonio!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here