Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing a ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing a ham

I followed the instructions on this site for curing a ham. Have a 9lb half ham that is 6.5 inchs tall.curing in a 5 gallon food bucket. I used 20oz of kosher salt and 37 grams of #1 with 3 gallons of water.
    I see on this recipe here that they did a 15-20 ham and cured for 7 days.
    My question is, following the curing calculator it says I should cure for 32.6 days, is this correct? I see others say cure for 1 day for every 2 lb.

First, welcome from Maryland. I re-ran the numbers and it appears something did not calculate correctly the first time. When I changed the liquid unit from gallons to cups and then back to gallons the number of days changed to what you had. originally. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Donw; September 16, 2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Dilly dilly! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        I lived in Omaha for 30 years, just moved to Julesburg Colorado little of a year ago.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        We moved out of Omaha 21 years ago. Unfortunately, we still live too close. How are you liking it in Julesburg? I grew up in Lexington and I really miss that part of Colorado and Nebraska.

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        I was born in Lexington, grew up in North Platte. Spoiling the grand kids, is what it is all a bout

Thanks, here is what I get. 8 days sounds a lot better.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ham cure days.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	911941

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        is 6.5 inches the thinnest dimension? If not, you want to use the thinnest dimension. I get 32.6 days too, btw
        Last edited by rickgregory; September 16, 2020, 02:50 PM.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Thanks everyone, been using Amazing Rib web page for sometime, finally decided to join.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia. I am interested in this thread as well.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to the PIT from the Lou! As to the question, I'm watching and learning on this one, not answering. I pass - on to the next question please..

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here