Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber gas newbie G2 E335 , 30 yr Weber charcoal expert, not happy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber gas newbie G2 E335 , 30 yr Weber charcoal expert, not happy...

30 year + Weber charcoal guy. Have burned/used up 3 old school W kettles, and 4 Performers, some junk Brinkman electric/charcoal smokers, still liking my Smokey Joe.

My honey bought me for 60 bday , Weber GII E-355 with sear burner, nice machine but...
    Nothing tastes right ! or good!. I have done dogs/brats/burgers/steaks p-chops dont taste right/good.

Yes I did new grill burn off, vaporizers/diffusers were orange hot for for 2.5 hours, then 2.5 hrs at half power.
    I did not think food would taste better on gas, but also did not think it would suck.

Or am I just a charcoal snob ?

My wife used to know someone who sold high(er) end gas grills to dealers. He sold one of his demo gassers to us at the end of the summer years ago. I think I used it twice before selling it. I just love the flavor charcoal gives food...

So, from my point of view, the answer to your question is no.

Comment

I'd also agree the answer to your question is no. Perhaps time to trade in for a Hasty Bake or the Good One smoker?

Comment

You're a charcoal snob. Just like me. Man, wood, fire.

(don't get technical on me folks - you get my drift... LoL)

Gas is for vehicles and landscaping equipment, not meat.

(I do own a Blackstone, but that's TOTALLY different)

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Wood... drift...

I see what you did there.

Wow - that is crazy burning off for that long. I think 30 minutes would have been plenty! I washed the grates, then burned off for 30 I think, when I got my Genesis II last year. Maybe you induced an off flavor by getting the flavorizer bars red hot? I've never seen mine turn red. Do you smell any funky odor to the grill itself, when not cooking?

I have had both Weber charcoal and gas grills for years (a Genesis 2 burner since 2002), and currently have a Weber Genesis II E-410 4 burner grill, and a Weber Performer Deluxe. I also have a large offset that doubles as a charcoal grill that I've been using since the 80's.

I cook certain things only on charcoal, but any time I have a big cook and its just burgers, chicken or even some reverse seared steaks and I don't have a spare half hour to get the Performer going, I use the Genesis. The food from the Genesis doesn't suck, but it doesn't have the same wood/charcoal smoke flavor as the kettle. It has smoke generated from drippings sizzling when they burn up on the hot flavorizer bars.

The best thing I ever did for my gas grill was to install a full replacement set of Grillgrates. However, my son has a 3 burner Spirit II, and grills all sorts of stuff, with the stock cast iron grates. The Grillgrates mostly increase searing heat, and reduce flareups. And make for good Smashburgers on the flat side! I almost used the Weber as a griddle more than a grill, before getting a dedicated griddle.

I think you are just missing the smoke. And maybe you are drying stuff out? I think a propane grill can tend to do that if you run the heat too high.

Comment

Ever think of usin wood chips to give some smoke. Might change things fer ya.
          BTW, welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan, Y U take me comment. LOL

I use both a Weber gasser and Performer. Food tastes great on both, but they are different.

Comment

I'm trying to wrap my head around the number of cooks it would take to burn through 3 kettles and 4 perfomers. Charcoal is it for sure. I use a gasser strictly for quick convenience as a last resort.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. Unless you are throwing logs into the bottom of the kettle and making bonfires, or not using a charcoal grate, I don't see how you would destroy that many in just 30 years. My Performer gets used a lot, and it was new in 2007. I gave away a kettle in good condition that was made in 1997 last year to a friend that needed a grill.

I have to agree with cgrover 60. 3 kettles and 4 performers. I still have my Weber kettle after 31 years and it gets used at least weekly. I did replace the grates with a stainless hinged version about 15 years ago. The wood handles are way better than the plastic ones. I have a weber ss Spirit gas, and it is about 20. It gets used for quick cooking. I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain Bullet smoker. They are all great when used for their strong points. I believe that time and use will take care of your gas grill problem. I'm not accusing, but a decent grill cover can prolong the life of your grills...just sayin.

Comment

Wlcome from the California Delta. That's some serious grilln' to go through that many grills.

Comment

Perhaps Use less lighter fluid. ha!!

I don’t know, that’s a strange one indeed.

For sure different flavors from coal though.

Comment

I went from Charcoal to gas and stayed with gas for years. Then went to pellet grill, and never looked back at either.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did that. Started with gas, then did nothing but charcoal for about 15 years, then someone gave me an almost new Weber Genesis, and I used that bad boy for most grilling the next 15 years. Only one the last several have I gone back to charcoal grilling. I still used charcoal just for smoking for the years I was using gas for grilling.

I got a Weber Spirit NG earlier this year and was also very underwhelmed with it. Added Grill Grates and powered through cooking on it and can report that the initial "meh" taste I was getting from it, has gotten a lot better...Pellets or chips burning on the GG's helps a bunch. It's never going to replace charcoal, but the more I use it, the better stuff is tasting.
                  Last edited by Parkin; September 11, 2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I keep hearing this. I need to buy a bag of pellets and try it...

• Parkin
                    Parkin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's not quite the same, but getting some smoke on there definitely helps.

A little seasoning from using it for awhile might help. Maybe cook a package of cheap bacon in there before using it for anything else again. Honestly, I think the "charcoal flavor" is really from the smoke created by the grease and whatnot dripping directly onto the hot coals. Completely lit charcoal on its own is a fairly neutral heat source, imho.
                  Last edited by Steve R.; September 11, 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If he does bacon on a Weber Genesis without Grillgrates, be prepared for flames. He needs to run it on low heat.

I agree that most flavor is from vaporized drippings, as once it is hot, the charcoal itself doesn't smoke that much. Otherwise, why would we be adding chunks of wood when we smoke stuff?

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya, Mate!

No answer to yer questions; ain't never once had me no gasser. Sry.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here