Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping ribs in foil vs no wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And welcome to the Pit by the way. You’re already in with both feet and getting plenty of free advice.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I am now looking at buying a smoker to add to my Weber Kettle. I am a charcoal guy that could be talked into wood. I don't want to spend over 1500.00 and less is just fine. Does anyone have experience with a Pit Barrel Cooker or Backwoods Smoker or a KBQ smoker. I want to deliver the best backyard BBQ as possible.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP Wanna jump in?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll add to your list if being able to control temps the way you want in a barrel style cooker. Look at the Oklahoma Joe's Bronco, cost less than those three on your list and can do all they can and more.

Welcome to the Pit!

I have a PBC and this is a sweet cooker for ribs, poultry, briskets all sorts of good stuff. Those are three different types of cookers you listed. I can tell you if you like to fiddle with your cookers, or "must have 225*" this is not for you. Once you figure how to consistently light your fire you will be able to just keep an eye on it. The PBC likes to run around 275*. Please check out the review section and the section under channels for any cooker you are interested. They are all good machines once you've figured them out.

Comment

I got no help on any of those cookers, but a belated welcome!

Comment

My list of charcoal smokers would include the Weber Smokey Mountain 22” (WSM), as well as the PBC and the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. My local Lowe’s had 3-4 of the Bronco’s on the floor last week.

Comment

Just realized this thing got off track - in response to the ORIGINAL question, I used to wrap my ribs all the time using the 3-2-1 method (spares) and 2-2-1 method (baby backs). I.e. smoke for 2 or 3 hours, smoke wrapped with a little braising liquid for 2 hours, then smoke for a final hour unwrapped, and I would often set some sauce and add some char over on the grill. This method makes for tender, fall off the bone ribs - often the bones just pull out.

Since joining AR, I've tended NOT to wrap my ribs, as I like Meathead's Last Meal Ribs recipe and technique best. I like ribs that are tender, but not falling totally apart either. The only time I have wrapped ribs in the past several years was one time this summer when my son-in-law had asked for ribs for his birthday, and the spares I was doing didn't appear that they would get done in time for dinner, so I wrappped to speed things along and finish them faster, for the last hour, then set the sauce by putting each slab in turn (both sideS) over the SNS to get some direct heat at the end.

Comment

I have no rhythm,so I don't rap! also sauce on the side.

Comment

Depends is my answer. I've done both and will do both, however, if I have plenty of time I tend to favor unwrapped. That said, there is no wrong way. Enjoy your cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here