Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from West Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from West Texas

Greetings everyone,

Today I start my journey...
    I purchased a PBC two weeks ago and later today I'll hang my first ever - racks of ribs. A little about me. I'm 65 and retired from the oil & gas and banking industry in March. I LOVE to play golf and have played the game (since age 10) from coast to coast. I also started and run a First Tee chapter as Executive Director. Life is good. I'm not new to forums as I was a member of a golf forum for 8 years. During that time I made a lot of good online friends. I even met a few of them at a golf outing once. Really nice people. I expect to meet and make many new friends here over time.
    A few months ago I started thinking I wanted to get a smoker. Initially, I thought I wanted a pellet smoker but in the end, I settled on a PBC. I think for me it will be perfect.

I've never been one to think I was that great of a BBQ man. Actually, I prefer to cook a steak in a cast-iron skillet. I've tried briskets a couple of times with mediocre results. Both times using my Weber kettle grill. So, I'm optimistic that by choosing a PBC my results will begin improving. I sure hope so.

Today I'm starting with two racks of BB ribs. I'm going to just follow the basic instructions and see what happens. Yesterday evening I rubbed the ribs with the Pit Barrel Cooker all-purpose seasoning which was included with the PBC and refrigerated them. From everything I've read and watched, I should be able to produce great results. We'll see and I'll let you know how it all goes down. Literally. Ha!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Welcome from the California Delta. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing the rib results.

Comment

Welcome from east Texas!!

My uncle just retired from Oil and Gas. He bought one of the living quarters for the rigs and shipped it to his deer lease in Mississippi.

I love me a good steak in the skillet. It's the crust that keeps on giving the whole steak through.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I also loves me some steak in a skillet, often augmented by butter, bacon grease, beef love, ghee, whatever's close to hand...

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Hello

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Folks from all over and even a few Texans. This is going to be fun. Almost time to hang some ribs.

Comment

Two wacks of Wibs is a fine way to start. You will be the greatest BBQ wib guy you ever met usin that PBC. Welcome, eat good and have fun!
                      Last edited by FireMan; August 29, 2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We can always use another barrelhead! Lots of good info in the channels section like this for the PBC. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

Ribs usually in the PBC take 3 or so hours. Look for the pullback on the bone ends and probe (toothpick) tender between the bones. Good luck and we like pictures or it never happened. ​​​​​​​

Comment

Welcome from NE Florida!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here