Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Michigan,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Michigan,

Long time home cook with a recent smoke addiction. Started smoking pulled pork a few years ago on a masterbuilt gas smoker for my sons birthday parties instead of the standard hamburgers and hot dogs and received rave reviews. So in looking for something a step up to smoke on i came across a Brinkmann pellet grill in the clearance section of the local Tractor supply company and have been hooked since. In coming across your site in being a sponge for knowledge on the topic, I think I'm in heaven. Your site has been very inspirational and informative to my love for good BBQ, Thanks for the awesome job you guys do!

Welcome to The Pit fellow Michiganite! Thanks for the nice words about the site, we're as in love as you are!

Bay City eh? You're about an hour east of me. I live in Farwell, if you don't know where that is it's about 5 min straight west of Clare. You work at Euclid?

When you get a minute, please check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel if you haven't done so already. You did a great job on your sig, thanks! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Huskee; August 10, 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron, thanks for the welcome!

I am familiar with Farwell, I deer hunted in Tustin quite a few years ago.

No i do not work for Euclid although i did work for a small shop that manufactured turbine engine tooling for GE aviation just off Euclid. Now I work for SWS- Trimac in Saginaw that does specialty Electron Beam welding, Laser Welding and machining for medical devices.

I see you are in the medical field, are you familiar with Zimmer?

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron being from Michigan, do you know if Cherry pits can be used in the pellet smokers?
      I have tried to find information on this with not much luck. I have seen a catering company in Grand Rapids called the Pit Stop that uses them to add smoke to their wood fire grill.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I was ATK, I was IBA (in bed asleep) I work nights.
      Not familiar w/ Zimmer, is s/he a Dr? I work at Clare hospital, or more properly "Mid Michigan Health, Clare- a University of Michigan Health System".

Re cherry pits, I've heard of it but I know nothing of it really. I never have cherries myself to have given it a shot. I wonder what type of smoke they'd give off. I'll have to dig into that one. Cherry wood I've used and love, but that's different.

I regularly go up to TC (Traverse City) to the wineries. One in particular is my wife & I's favorite getaway spot, the Chateau Chantal up on the Mission Peninsula. I keep meaning to ask about getting some grapevine trimmings to take home, but I never remember to until halfway home. I'd like to try them.

Welcome Powersmoke,

Always glad to see another Michigan member. I'm from Port Huron myself.

Joel

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Joel

Thanks for the response, as for Zimmer they are a medical device company we do work for.

Re cherry pits, I have read they were poisonous if eaten as they contain cyanogenic glycosides, and was not sure if the smoke would be poisonous. But according to the Pit Stop catering website they use them and say the cherry pits give a sweet smoke thats not bitter.
    I know they sell washed and dried pits in bulk for heating fuel in pellet stoves. I emailed the lady in Kewadin MI to inquire if they could be used for cooking and if there were any chemicals used for washing and she just replied that she did not know and they do not use chemicals. So I think I may make a trip to get some and mix them with my wood pellets.

Comment

Cool, let me know what you think if you try it. If they work good and have a decent flavor they're probably quite a cheap resource to use sicne they sell them for heating fuel.

Comment

Hey Powersmoke. Welcome! I'm sitting at Whites Beach right now. (split my time between here and Fenton) Glad to see another Michigan member. You, Joel, Huskee, Me, am I missing anyone? AWESOME!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the welcome, had some friends back in the mid-80s that had a cabin on whites beach about four cabins north of the bar.

Welcome Powersmoke! What kind of fish is that and where did you catch it?

Comment

Thanks, it's a Steelhead caught on Lake Michigan out of Ludington harbor .

Comment

Michiganians welcome! I grew up in Gladwin and went to college at Grand Valley, but am living in Louisiana--much easier to keep your smoker at an even temp year round down here! I do miss the Great Lake state.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I too grew up in Gladwin. Small world. Welcome to The Pit! What year did you gradiate GHS?

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              1994. You?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment

My bro graduated in '93 you may have known him.

I'm new here. What is a "sig"? I'm being buried under an avalanche of information!

Comment

Originally posted by WEKing View Post
              I'm new here. What is a "sig"? I'm being buried under an avalanche of information!

Hey WEKing

A sig is a signature. There is a description of what goes in it in the link below (number 6 bullet point if you want to read ahead) :

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...pdated-10-1-14

Here's a link for the signature instructions as well:

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...dated-10-01-14
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 29, 2014, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• WEKing
                WEKing commented
                Editing a comment
                Is a signature the same as a profile? Or, are they different?

• WEKing
                WEKing commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess my signature is done. It's just another term for profile, right? Or am I wrong. This is the most complicated message board that I have ever seen. I'm on football message boards and they are very easy to use. Just a user name and no sig, profile etc.....

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here