Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic Pitmaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit from Alabama! Glad to have you onboard.

I had 7 cookers in the back yard a year ago, now I have 4 (4 left, and 1 new one came in!). My wife cooks more than 0.5% of the time, but she does not enjoy cooking like I do, so is willing to let me cook when I feel like it. Thankfully she is fine with smoked stuff like brisket, butts and ribs. Right now she is on a chicken and fish kick, and those tend to be done hot and fast, which is fine this time of year.

Anyway, glad to have you onboard, and I look forward to seeing what you are cooking.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! And congrats on your new cookers, pretty awesome lineup! Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome. This pandemic has been interesting on my wallet (although I've tried to offset all purchases with selling someting), deck and patio. As recommended above, I added a Steelmade flattop, it has been a lot of fun to cook on it. I added a 26" kettle (Facebook Marketplace but brand new never used), multiple curb/garbage day finds of two triple daisy wheel kettles and a gas grill. Rehabbed and sold the gasser and one of the kettles, the other one might become a fire pit. Bought two jumbo Joes, cleaned them up kept the better and sold the other. Sold my Smokey Joe as well. So basically upgraded from 14" to 18" and left a couple of bucks in my pocket. Now I just picked up a Blue 22 with side table that was is bad shape. When I said I wasn't interested at $60 he said I could take it all for $20, I wasn't even looking to negotiate him down, just wasn't going to buy it. So how do I pass that up right? Honestly it will cook just fine. Just has flaking porcelain at all the weld points for the charcoal and cooking grates.

And to your point of much more time for the low and slow, this pandemic has been a struggle with 5 kids, and concern for grandparents and great grandparents that we have been home so much. Having an at home hobby like cooking has been a great distraction.

Checking in on this page has been educational and does contributed to the purchasing...

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Yeah me too, had a little down time at beginning of pandemic and became moderately obsessed with grilling on my smoker grill. Also bought the bigger model after a while.

Having a little more downtime now and have started in grilling more again.

Comment

Welcome to the PIT from the LOU! As someone above mentioned the Vortex - here's a pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucille Race Track.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	894608

Putting foil on the lower grate channels all the airflow into the cone. Use it this way, or inverted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Vortex Up.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	894609

I liked it so much I got two 19" pizza pans and cut them to fit the lower grate - better than always redoing the foil.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here