Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic Pitmaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pandemic Pitmaster?

Quick backstory: Married 30 years. My wife has never enjoyed cooking. Luckily for her, it has always been my passion. I do/have done 99.5% of all our cooking. Years ago my wife sheepishly told me that she didn't care for smoked foods. At the time I had 12 cookers. Hurt and dejected, I gave away my cookers (sold 2) and only kept one Weber Genesis (1990 model) and one Weber kettle and focused on cooking indoors.

Fast Forward: Both Webers died. Children are grown and out. Bought half a cow (butchered, of course). Pandemic. Great Internet speed and Amazon Prime. All this equals... four new cookers: Weber Spirit E-330 Gas Grill, Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22", Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kettle Grill, and Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado. (I also modified the old Weber kettle as the perfect rotisserie smoker).

There are some advantages to working remotely during this pandemic. I can do many more low & slow cooks throughout the week. However, living on the Florida coast causes me to cook outdoors early in the morning and later in the evening. Not quite retired so the obligatory mid-day nap is not always an option, but I do my best.

BTW, my wife has embraced the flavor of clean smoked proteins and veggies! Either her tastebuds have changed or I have gone from the backyard, weekend BBQ warrior to the Pandemic Pitmaster. (I think it's the former, but...?)

Regards,
    Brian

P.S. Invested in a few hogs. Got the first pork bellies this week and have the bacon curing as I type! So excited for next week's "At Home Baconfest".

Welcome and thanks for the support! Way to dive, nah, cannon ball back into things.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Brian ...

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia Beach.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

Great story. Pandemic lockdown and internet access did a lot of damage to the wallets of many of us. You're in good company. Enjoy cooking on all of those toys.

If you still have too much computer time available, order up a Steelmade griddle for that gasser. You wife will love the stir fry, the breakfasts, the smashburgers, etc, that it can produce.

Kathryn

Comment

• BCam
                    BCam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kathryn, you are dangerous! I just ordered one.

I have a Blackstone Table Top Portable Gas Griddle (15.25in x 17in) that I use when we RV, and it is great. I don't often (think - never) take it out of the RV when at home. The Steelmade griddle will fit perfectly on my homebound gasser. As Justin of Baby Back Maniac says, "The kids need something to cook on".

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BCam , the nice thing about having one that fits perfectly on the gas grill is that all the spatter and mess stay in the grill as well. Plus it doesn't require the real estate of a Camp Chef or a Blackstone. I bought a Camp Chef carry bag to store it in when I'm not using it on my gasser.

Kathryn

Welcome to The Pit Brian. If you wife likes chicken, get a Vortex for you Kettle. It helps with getting very crisp chicken skin and also helps retain moisture. I did a couple o' chicken breasts a while back using the vortex and my wife said they were the best ever. BTW - parts work better than whole birds when using the Vortex.

Comment

Welcome aboard.............loading up on new equipment shows you'll fit right in around here. Below some of the member's pictures there is a link that resembles a fountain pen point. Click on that for any member and you'll likely see a list of equipment you may aspire to. Hint; fzxdoc , aka Kathryn, is an enabler of the first order and will likely induce you to raid the retirement fund to expand your collection of cooking devices/supports. Don't ask me how I learned that........

Regarding your wife's shift in taste, there may be an aging component, but I faced a similar resistance back in time but have come to believe that what they were actually resisting was excessive or bitter smoke that some cooks foist off as "authentic". You nailed it with the notion of "clean" smoke flavor.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey, it was you who started me down the Steelmade Griddle road, dear sir. (And boy am I grateful!).

K.

• Uncle Bob
                      Uncle Bob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      GRIN

Welcome from south Texas! Great intro story!
                    Last edited by Texas Larry; August 10, 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Great intro! We are happy to have you.

Welcome back to the BBQ game. Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. It’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visitinghttps://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Great Giveaway Monthly Sweepstakes winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Keep the smoke rollin’

Spinaker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here